PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop Owners - I need help quick

Glen Blanchard
12-04-2006, 8:47 PM
Trying to take the saw off the pallet - me and 2 other guys. The saw acts like it is bolted to the pallet. It rotates on the pallet but cannot be slid off of the pallet. Is there a bolt or something I should know about?

glenn bradley
12-04-2006, 8:50 PM
Talk about holding the carrott just out of reach!!! My hybrid had a 'secret' pallet bolt the manual didn't mention. The pivot point gave it's location away.

Glen Blanchard
12-04-2006, 9:03 PM
Talk about holding the carrott just out of reach!!! My hybrid had a 'secret' pallet bolt the manual didn't mention. The pivot point gave it's location away.

The odd thing is that inspection under the pallet reveals no such bolt.

John Bush
12-04-2006, 9:15 PM
Hi Glen,
IIRC there was a hex drive bolt someplace. The bolt was painted flat black and had a more shiney nut on the bottom sideso it wasn't easy to see inside the cabinet. Don't recall precisely where it was located tho. Good luck, JCB

Glen Blanchard
12-04-2006, 9:15 PM
I figured it out. There are (were) 3 or 4 wood cleats on the inside of the base nailed to the pallet rendering them invisible. Cleats gone - now waiting for my helpers to return.

Sheesh.

Mike Heidrick
12-04-2006, 9:37 PM
Just read this Glenn. Sorry about not forwarning you on this!!! I did the same thing. I finally tilted it up and my wife saw the hardwood cleats. She managed to get them out with a wonderbar and hammer while I manhandled the sawstop around them.

Isn't that slick plastic on the pallet nice? It will come in very handy when your buddies return.

Mike Heidrick
12-04-2006, 9:41 PM
That big door removes easy too - lets a helper get in closer to help lift it.

I lined up the base, wife held it against the pallet, and then a buddy got on one side, I on the other, we slid it as far as we could, then we picked it up (read this as controlled the decent off the pallet) and set it into the base (gravity did the work). She is one heavy tool.

Ted Baca
12-05-2006, 1:12 AM
Looks like I am too late here, but the cleats pulled loose as we moved the saw to the edge. Any scratches are where I will never see them if they ever occurred. Nicely packed saw though isn't it? I really think they do a class job.

Jeffrey Makiel
12-05-2006, 7:10 AM
If it's not a hidden bolt, take a look to see if a personal injury attorney isn't under there.

Enjoy your new saw!
-Jeff :)

Glen Blanchard
12-05-2006, 9:39 AM
I finally tilted it up and my wife saw the hardwood cleats. She managed to get them out with a wonderbar and hammer while I manhandled the sawstop around them.

Exactly how it went down in my garage Mike!! I dismissed my helpers, told them I would do some research (my post here, SS was closed for the day) and went back in the garage. My wife helped me tilt it and looked under it while I was holding the saw. There they were - not at all visible and no documentation notifying us of their presence. She used a hammer and got rid of them. That thing was VERY well crated though. First class job.

My left extension arm is not flat however. It dips in the middle - verified with a straight edge. Will have to call SS and see if they will send another (pronto).

I have most of it is assembled however. Got it wired up and it lights up and blade turns. I will have to slightly modify (shorten) the extension table to facilitate my Excalibur overhead blade guard so I will still have room to walk around the saw in my small one car garage/shop (no surprise here). I won't have to shorten the rails however - just the extension table. By doing so, I will create a narrow "chase" for the blade guard.

Looking forward to making sawdust Thursday afternoon. Thanks for the replies guys!! They were not fast enough to be of assistance, but now I don't feel like an idiot. :eek: