PDA

View Full Version : Looking for great SCMS blade

Allan Johanson
11-06-2003, 12:23 AM
Hey gang,

I'm looking for the best 12" SCMS blade I can find. One that won't cause tearout on intricate mouldings. Is the Forrest Chopmaster still king?

I'm not looking for the best value, where a blade is almost Forrest (or whatever) quality for half the price, I simply want the best performing blade you can buy. :D

Thanks for any feedback,

Allan

Ken Salisbury
11-06-2003, 7:17 AM
Hey gang,

I'm looking for the best 12" SCMS blade I can find. One that won't cause tearout on intricate mouldings. Is the Forrest Chopmaster still king?

I'm not looking for the best value, where a blade is almost Forrest (or whatever) quality for half the price, I simply want the best performing blade you can buy. :D

Thanks for any feedback,

Allan

The Forrest Chop Master is THE blade for a standard miter saw. For a SCMS I would recommend a Forrest WWI.

"Nothing runs like a Deere - and nothing cuts like a Forrest."

Mark Mandell
11-06-2003, 8:39 AM
Hey gang,

Thanks for any feedback,

Allan

Allan,

I bought the full-kerf Jesada ($115+) for my Makita LS-1211. Got a substantial improvement in cut accuracy with very little feathering on the unsupported trailing edge of the cut.

Note also, that ANY blade will feather the trailing edge unless you use a backer or sacrificial fence to support the fibers.

Mark Mandell

Ted Shrader
11-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Allan,

I bought the full-kerf Jesada ($115+) for my Makita LS-1211. Got a substantial improvement in cut accuracy with very little feathering on the unsupported trailing edge of the cut.

Note also, that ANY blade will feather the trailing edge unless you use a backer or sacrificial fence to support the fibers.

Mark Mandell

Allan -

I really like my Jesada blade. Works well - even on mahogany (notorious for feathering/tear out) without a zero clearance insert.

Te

Martin Shupe
11-06-2003, 12:12 PM
I have a Forrest on my SCMS and I like it. I use it on cherry and the cuts are smooth as glass.

Jamie Buxton
11-06-2003, 8:29 PM
One strong piece of advice: get a full-width blade. My Hitachi SCMS cuts a much straighter line now that I put a .125"-thickness blade on it instead of the thin-kerf thing that came with it.