PDA

View Full Version : WoodWorkers Book Club & Poll

Joe Suelter
02-26-2003, 12:55 AM
Are any of you members? I got an "invitation" to join today in the mail. Usually this garbage gets filed before it hits the dining room table, but this one slipped by & got opened. It doesn't seem that bad. Waiving the next book online seems like a nice feature, beats having to send in a card. I did go to their website www.woodworkersbookclub.com and searched through their inventory. Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed that they have NO books on turning :mad: . So, what say you?

p.s.--don't really need a poll, just wanted to try it out. Thanks

DJPlata
02-26-2003, 7:58 AM
I've been in the "club" for several years now and vouch for their service. I like getting the flyer every month and seeing what's new. The prices may not be the best you can find, but with the free books and free shipping, I think it's a pretty good deal. The new online services make it very easy and delivery is fast too. I used to wait three weeks for delivery, now it's within a week. I know that they offer a lot of turning books. Try again maybe? Anyway, I would recommend the club- my book collection has grown considerably since joining.

Regards,

DJPlata

Joe Suelter
02-26-2003, 8:08 AM
DJ, by chance did you go to the link I posted? I am just curious if this is the same club or not. I chose the "select from our extensive catalog" button, and there it breaks down the books by subject. No books for turning? Maybe this is just a promo? Thanks for the reply.

DJPlata
02-26-2003, 11:36 AM
Joe,

I see the confusion. As a new joiner, you will get a certain number of books free, but your free list from which to choose is limited and it just so happens that there are no turning books on that list. If you become a member, you get to see the whole list, which has a good number of turning books. If you want, I can try to copy the list from the members-only website and email it to you.

DJPlata
Wadsworth, IL

Joe Suelter
02-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Gotchya...that makes sense, I guess. I would think that they would get more subscriber's if they listed all the books they have, rather than just a preview. It almost turned me off immediatly. If you can copy that, great...if not, not that big of a deal. Thanks a bunch.

Chris McKimson
02-26-2003, 2:22 PM
Joe,

I was able to search on thier website for various books and ended getting the 3 Taunton books, "Shaping Wood" by Lonnie Bird, "Joinery" by Gary Rogowski and "Furniture and Case Construction" by Andy Rae, plus another book, all for about 17.00.

According to the website, they have 9 books on turning

"Projects for Woodworkers" by Chris Childs
"Craftsman Woodturner" by Peter Child
"Fine Art of Small Scale Woodturning" by William Duce
"Turn a Bowl" by Ernie Conover
"Turned Boxes: 50 Designs" by Chris Stott
"Turning Bowls with Richard Raffan"
"Turning Boxes with Richard Raffan"
"Turning Pens and Pencils" by Kip Christensen
"Woodturning" by Woodturning Magazine

So far I'm happy with having joined. My understanding is I have to be a member for a least nine months, but don't have to buy any additional books, other than the 4 in the original offer. Hopefully, my understanding is correct.

Chris

Dick Shryock
02-26-2003, 5:08 PM
I joined a couple of years ago, when I hadn't bought anything for several months I decided to cancel. Called them to cancel and the woman I talked to said "if you didn't have to reply unless you wanted somthing, would you stay with us?" I said yes, and now I never get unwanted books because I forgot to reply. Good feature, wish that BMG Record Club would do the same :)

Joe Pack
02-26-2003, 10:58 PM
If you need basic books on topics such as bandsaws, table saws, jigs, etc., they can't be beat. 4 for 1 is hard to beat anywhere, and their regular prices are as good or better than most other places. I don't think you will be disappointed. I know I was not.

Dan Bussiere
02-27-2003, 9:33 AM
I hadn't planned on joining up till now because of the experience I have had with the clubs of old. But Dick you said they don't send you any unwanted books? Did you have to order a minimum of so many before thay would do that? If not, I would seriously consider joining, but I don't want the hassle of sending in a card each month to cancel the book of the month, etc.
Dan

DJPlata
02-27-2003, 3:35 PM
Every month they send a newsletter with three or four featured books including one that will be sent unless you send in the card. You can now decline the book on line. Plus, like Dick said, you can tell them that you don't want to send in a card every month and they will accommodate that. There is no minimum order. It's really pretty hassle-free. You just ahve to know what to ask for.

DJPlata
Wadsworth, IL

Dan Bussiere
02-27-2003, 3:38 PM
Thanks DJPlata,
Just the info I needed.
Dan