PDA

View Full Version : Delta DJ20 3 phase to single phase conversion.

Mac Cambra
12-04-2006, 6:22 PM
A friend of mine has a chance to get a used Delta DJ20 8" jointer at a very attractive price. The problem is that it is a 3 phase unit that will be used in a residential hobbyist shop. Three phase power is not available:

Three Questions:

1. Is it more advantageous from a performance and/or cost standpoint to use a single phase to 3-phase rotary converter over swapping out the motor for a single phase unit.

2. The Delta single phase motor costs roughly $1k per my friend, seems kind of pricey for an electric motor, can anyone suggest an alternative? Obvious concerns are shaft size and motor mount compatibility.

3. What are the gotcha's if any that he should look out for? I would think this would be relatively straightforward but you know how things seem to work.

I appreciate any advice that those who have confronted this dilemma can share.

Thanks

Mac

Jim DeLaney
12-04-2006, 6:27 PM
I'd guess that any NEMA 56 framed motor would fit the DJ-20. Grainger's, or other sources will have what you need for way under $1K, and way cheaper than trying to use a phase converter.

Replacing the motor ought to be pretty straight-forward, but you'll need to replace the magnetic switch too.

Mike Cutler
12-04-2006, 7:07 PM
$1K is way out of whack for a replacement motor. Delta doesn't make their own motors. They are made to spec by a different company and a Delta logo affixed. A single phase motor, of the same horsepower, and mounting as the three phase motor should be less than 1/2 the cost of Delta's replacement motor.
For $1K that better be a Baldor motor at a minimum from Delta.

M Toupin
12-04-2006, 8:03 PM
Mac,

Another option is to use a VFD to run it off regular 220v 1 phase. FactoryMation has a decent 2hp unit for $145 which should be quite a bit cheaper than a new motor.

Mike

Cory Newman
12-04-2006, 8:22 PM
but you'll need to replace the magnetic switch too.

Depends on the switch - if it has a low voltage box you might be able to just switch out the heaters and only use 2 of the legs instead of all three.

CPeter James
12-04-2006, 8:57 PM
At those prices, it sounds like someone is growing and smoking something funny. A brand new Baldor motor should be under $300 and you don't need that. A good motor shop should be able to fix you up for $150 or less. Standard motor on my DJ20 is only 1 1/2 hp. You could upgrade to 2 hp for not too much more. Contact Grizzly and get the price for a motor for a G0490, the Grizzly version fo the DJ20

CPeter

Mac Cambra
12-04-2006, 9:18 PM
Would a Grizzly or Baldor motor be completely compatible? Motor shaft size fit the existing drive pulleys, motor mounts, I was also told that the 3 phase motor shaft was a different size compared to the single phase. I guess the pulleys are are a minor problem, just buy the appropriate replacements of the correct diameter.

VFD?

CPeter James
12-04-2006, 9:47 PM
A jointer is pretty simple. You could frabricate a mount and just get the right sized pulley to get the arbor speed correct. Unlike a table saw, the motor does not need to move. The original motor mount was nothing special and in fact many were installed backwards at the factory ( I have seen at least 3 this way). You could use angle iron to make the mount. You may need to replace the switch. A single phase DJ20 does not have a magnetic switch.

CPeter

Bruce Page
12-04-2006, 9:58 PM
Mac, I've been running my 3ph Bridgeport mill and Logan engine lathe through my $125.00 "stactic converter" for years without a problem. The experts claim that you loose some HP but I've never been able to tell any difference.
http://www.phase-a-matic.com/?gclid=CMXd4vWo-ogCFTw3GAodiwwHoQ

Bruce Wrenn
12-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Northern Tools has the best prices that I have seen on 3450 rpm, TEFC motors. These are new and designed for pressure washers (continus duty) 1 1/2HP-$169.99, 2.0HP-$189.99. Pulleys (sheaves) are literally a dime a dozen. Grainger, Surplus Center, Grizzly all carry them.

Greg Funk
12-05-2006, 1:43 AM
A single phase DJ20 does not have a magnetic switch.

CPeter

I'm pretty sure mine has a magnetic starter. The switch is the same or similar to that on a Unisaw with adjustable thermal overloads.

Greg

CPeter James
12-05-2006, 7:34 AM
I'm pretty sure mine has a magnetic starter. The switch is the same or similar to that on a Unisaw with adjustable thermal overloads.

Greg

I stand corrected on the switch. However, mine and all the others I have seen were shipped with a two button switch mounted to the cabinet. They may have changed it when they went to the X5 series.

CPeter

Kirk Poore
12-05-2006, 1:07 PM
Would a Grizzly or Baldor motor be completely compatible? Motor shaft size fit the existing drive pulleys, motor mounts, I was also told that the 3 phase motor shaft was a different size compared to the single phase. I guess the pulleys are are a minor problem, just buy the appropriate replacements of the correct diameter.

VFD?

The frame size on the motor plate defines things like bolt pattern, shaft diameter, and length. Unless your motor is mounted in a tight space, the same frame size in single phase will work as a substitute. In some cases, the capacitor bulge(s) on the single phase motor will get in the way. You should be able to swap the motor pulley too.

A VFD (variable frequency device) will convert single phase to 3-phase, as well as other things that you probably won't need on a jointer like speed changing.

Kirk Poore

Cory Newman
12-05-2006, 1:20 PM
A single phase DJ20 does not have a magnetic switch.

CPeter

Its not currently a single phase machine, its 3 phase. All my equipment that came 3 phase had a magnetic switch - just had to swap out the heaters and only use two legs - easy conversion.

Greg Funk
12-05-2006, 4:48 PM
The part number for a DJ-20 single phase motor is 912058 and is available on-line from Delta for $377.74. Might be easier than adapting another motor.

Greg

Mac Cambra
12-05-2006, 6:27 PM
Seems that my friend got some things wrong regarding his parts search, I knew that the $1k price seemed out of whack.

He has since told me that this used tool was part of a pro-shop, that it was 460V 3-phase?? If this is true seems like somebody did some of there own modifications because I don't Delta even offers a unit like that.

Needless to say he is not going to purchase that tool after all. He said the seller had agreed to $400 for the unit. I guess that the savings on that tool wasn't worth the aggravation.

My friend can probably find another used 8" jointer in the price range he is looking for without all the hassle.

Thanks Again

Bill Simmeth
12-05-2006, 8:11 PM
Needless to say he is not going to purchase that tool after all. He said the seller had agreed to $400 for the unit. I guess that the savings on that tool wasn't worth the aggravation.
This is a joke, right? :confused:

Mac Cambra
12-05-2006, 8:19 PM
Frankly I don't see where the hassle is whether he converts from 230VAC 3 phase or 460VAC 3 phase. The end result will stll be a single phase motor.

I thought $400 was a steal and if he had to sink $300 or so more it would still be a great deal. The DJ20 is a very good jointer.

His choice, what can I say.:confused:

CPeter James
12-05-2006, 9:16 PM
Yes, but he can get an brand new Grizzly G0490, DJ20 clone for under $800. BTW: I have a DJ20, but would not pay the price for a new one. They are made in China. Now if the $400 one was a US or Brazil made, that is a different story. Mine is Tiawan. The history is USA then Brazil, then Tiawan, and now China. The quality is a down hill slope.

CPeter