PDA

View Full Version : new Rikon 14'' bandsaw

everett lowell
12-04-2006, 5:55 PM
Any thoughts on the new 14'' bandsaw they came ouy wiyh this fall? I was leaning towards gizzleys go555, then came across this new model! looks pretty sweet, but maybe a little out of my price range.:( (edit) I forgot I asked about bandsaws the other day,I just looked back! sorry guys!

CPeter James
12-04-2006, 6:21 PM
A sign of old age!! I know from experience.

CPeter

Mike Cutler
12-04-2006, 6:47 PM
I'm not sure that a comparison between those two models is fair. The Rikon 10-325, is probably complimentary to Grizzly's G0457. The specs are about the same. For that money though, I would look at the Grizzly G0513 17" bandsaw also. Same price. That Rikon looks to have some pretty beefy wheels. If they are cast iron, they appear to be, and the others are aluminum. Go with the cast iron

I have a Rikon 10-340, 18" bandsaw. I've been pretty happy with it. Their 14" version looks like a scaled down 18". The blade quick release tension mechanism is different.

Don Bullock
12-04-2006, 7:10 PM
I'm not sure that a comparison between those two models is fair. The Rikon 10-325, is probably complimentary to Grizzly's G0457...

Mike is correct on which saw to compare it to. Check out the review in the November, 2006 issue of Popular Woodworking.

everett lowell
12-04-2006, 8:32 PM
Mike is correct on which saw to compare it to. Check out the review in the November, 2006 issue of Popular Woodworking.Don, I just went thru my 8000 ww magazines,and foundthe nov. issue,just what I need- thanks guy,I did'nt even know I had that info at my fingertips! Mr. james was right...old age creeping in!:rolleyes:

Don Bullock
12-04-2006, 9:41 PM
Glad I could help. Good luck with your selection.

I'm looking at the Craftsman myself. It's more in my price range and the review on it is very good. I am in the process of putting together a shop to make projects as a hobby in my pending retirement. At this point I can't afford the high end machines.