PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Ian Barley, I'm heading your way.

Howard Barlow
11-05-2003, 9:33 PM
Looks like I'll be spending 8-10 days in Farnborough during the Christmas holidays.

Maybe we can find time to get together to show me that milking parlour/woodshop you posted recently. Have you been able to set it up?

Howard

Ian Barley
11-06-2003, 2:31 PM
It's always a bit scary to get your name in the subject of a post but this is a great one.

Howard - you are most welcome to come along and see the set up and pass a little time with me. We are at home for the holidays and it's a quiet time of year in the business so I will be very happy to se you. Unfortunately the weather won't quite run to a picnic or a barbecue but I suspect that I will be able to manage a cup of warming cocoa or some such.

The shop is coming along. I have the floors basically level and have managed to get doors in the door holes and glass in most of the window holes, so at least we are now pretty weather tight. The walls have been coated white and most of the old birds nests and cobwebs have been removed.

My father in law has given me a hand in running the core of my compressed air system and the electricians arrive on monday to do their thing. Hopefully they will be out by wednesday and I will have the power grid that I need in place.

I have started the process of moving all my timber and stuff over to the new shop which is a long manual process but we are getting there. I hope to move most of my machinery across at the end of next week and start building the fittings that turn it into a production facility.

I need to get out of my old shop before 23rd November because that is when we go on vacation and I don't want to end up paying rent twice for two weeks while I am away. So even if everything is just left in a heap in the middle of the floor it will be in the new shop.

We are flying to Orlando for 10 days of winter sunshine and to stock up with goodies for christmas. Don't say we aren't doing our bit for the economy! I will be visiting woodcraft and obviously HD and Lowes to see what you guys have that I don't. Anybody got any other suggestions for things (woodworking) that I should do?

When are you planning to be here Howard? Let me know your dates and I will make sure that I'm around.

Mark Katz
11-06-2003, 3:32 PM
It's always a bit scary to get your name in the subject of a post but this is a great one.

Don't worry, Ian. I believe you are out of Howard's jurisdiction :D

Todd Burch
11-06-2003, 3:46 PM
Golly gee Howard. You can travel to Farnborough but you can't drive less than 2 hours to come see me in Katy?

Man do I feel neglected. (sniff sniff). I think if I lived in Beaumont I'd get out every chance I could!!!

Todd.

Howard Barlow
11-07-2003, 1:40 AM
Golly gee Howard. You can travel to Farnborough but you can't drive less than 2 hours to come see me in Katy?

Man do I feel neglected. (sniff sniff). I think if I lived in Beaumont I'd get out every chance I could!!!

Todd.
I was there yesterday, Todd. Where were you? That was me honking the horn. :p

Howard Barlow
11-07-2003, 1:43 AM
When are you planning to be here Howard? Let me know your dates and I will make sure that I'm around.

Looks like we will be leaving here Dec. 17. We will be there until the 28th, when we head on to Russia. I'll have more info on our schedule there later. Hope to see you.

Howard Barlow
11-07-2003, 1:46 AM
Don't worry, Ian. I believe you are out of Howard's jurisdiction :D

Mark, you gotta getta badge. You can't believe the benefits it carries even in Russia and the Republic of Georgia. Ahhhhh! The Brotherhood of the Badge. Pi$$es my wife off sometimes.

Heck, it even works on Times Square in New York City when you want to get past the barricades and stand in front of "The Ball" on New Year's Eve. :D

Kevin Beck
11-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Ian,

You might want to check out Utter Guys www.utterguys.com. They have a good selection of wood working tools. They are off the 417 tollway in Sanford (very close if you're flying into the Sanford airport).
No affiliation, just a customer. Woodcraft is in Casselberry on 436 near the intersection with 17/92. Its a nice store with a good selection of tools also.

Bring your warm weather clothes. It's been really hot the past week, 80 - 85 with very high humidity. Have fun in Orlando.

If you like Sporting Clays (popular in your neck of the woods) check out T&M Ranch off Narcoosee Road. I've seen a lot of Brits out shooting clays to get away from the Disney/theme park "fun". I don't know if I could stand 10 days of such "fun" myself.

Kevin

Ian Barley
11-07-2003, 1:13 PM
Kevin

Thanks for the tip. The Utter Guys looks like it might make it to the list although it will be a trip as we are flying into Orlando

We don't really do the theme park stuff that much now. We have been a few times before and you are right - there is a limit to how much you can take.

The main reason we come over your way is the weather and the shopping. You always have a whole bunch of stuff in all categories that we can't get over here. It's also good to spend time in a warm climate with no language barrier. I have also never found hospiatlity and friendliness to match any of the places I have visited in the US so it pretty much a guaranteed successful vacation for us.

Howard Barlow
11-08-2003, 12:35 AM
Ian, I have a few non-ww'ing questions. Will you email me? Click my www, down below, for my email address, please.