PDA

View Full Version : chuck choice question

Greg Stanford
12-04-2006, 4:00 PM
Wondered if there was strong opinion regarding the Oneway Stronghold vs the Super Nova2 chucks. I'm going from a Delta Midi to a Jet 1642 & will have to buy something to fit the new lathe. I'm leaning toward the Super Nova but figured I'd ask. Thanks.

g

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2006, 4:37 PM
I think either would be a good choice. I happen to like the VicMarc myself. Lots of different jaws and you can get bigger Cole Jaws. I am using the 3 1/2" on my 15" lathe and it hold just fine. Haven't lost anything yet.

Mark Pruitt
12-04-2006, 4:55 PM
While your new lathe's swing will accomodate a Oneway Stronghold, unless you plan to routinely turn maximum-sized pieces you might be better off with a Oneway Talon instead. The Stronghold is the larger chuck, but its size could possibly be a liability in some situations. I dunno. I have the Talon, it's the only chuck I've had and I have been so happy with it that I don't see replacing it with anything, even when I get my Big Lathe sometime next year.:D

Can't comment from experience on the SuperNova 2, but my understanding is that the SuperNova takes a dovetailed tenon whereas the Oneway chucks take a straight tenon. The straight tenon is easier to form and the Talon's grip is rock-solid.

Andy Hoyt
12-04-2006, 4:58 PM
Is there an echo (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46708)in here? :D

John Miliunas
12-04-2006, 5:11 PM
Well, from the FWIW Dept., I've got a SuperNova and SN 2. They're both a very nice chuck, though my preference is definitely the 2. :) Now, having said that, I work PT at a Woodcraft and run into a LOT of turners and there are many who also like the Oneways, both, the Talon and Stronghold. Most guys I talk to say that either of them have great holding power.

Also, I think Mark may be steering you in the right direction away from the Stronghold. Might be a tad overkill for most work. That's actually one of the reasons I went with the SN2; Hefftier than the Talon but, IMHO, not quite as large as the Stronghold. Afraid I can't comment on the VicMarc, other than there are quite a few turners running those, as well. If Bernie is giving the "thumbs up" on it, it can't be that bad! :D :cool:

Jonathon Spafford
12-04-2006, 5:11 PM
I like the talon.... like Mark, it is the only chuck I have had, but I really like it and it works well! I think it is Jimmy Clewes that likes the woodworm screw that comes with the Oneway... it is stronger than some!

RL Johnson
12-04-2006, 7:14 PM
I am with Bernie, I like the Vicmarc especially when placing the jaws into a recess. The only problem is the slight dovetail cut is more difficult to prepare. I believe the Talon has an advantage with tenons especially in green wood.

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-05-2006, 8:46 AM
The only chuck I have ever owned or used is my Stronghold. It has never giving me a problem. I also only have the jaws that came with it and they have worked on all my projects. If I ever need a different set I think it will probably be the next size down.

Jim Becker
12-05-2006, 10:00 AM
The Stonghold and Talon are close kin, just of different size. I agree that the Talon would be my first recommendation for you unless you plan on turning really large things a lot. The Talon with the stock #2 jaws and the #3 jaws for larger piece is quite sufficient for the Delta 16" swing machine, IMHO. (I use mine on my Stubby) The spiggot jaws are also nice for very small work.

Bruce Gray
12-05-2006, 1:37 PM
I recently bought the Supernova2, and have been having fits with runout of the chuck. It was bad enough that it made my Powermatic 3520 vibrate so I couldn't hold a tool on the toolrest

Teknatool is addressing it, but it's not taken care of yet. Their support in the U.S is very, very limited ...and not very responsive.

If you decide on the supernova, I would suggest that you purchase somewhere where you can just return it, if it's not right.

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2006, 5:58 PM
Greg, have to agree with Mark. I have a Jet 1642 and the Talon chuck with most of the jaws. It is very well made, balanced and runs true. Couldn't ask for anything more from a chuck and I highly suggest it.

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2006, 6:26 PM
I have the SuperNova and have been using it for about 3 years now. Never a problem except for when I had to change out the adapter for a new lathe. I had runout at the chuck and found that it was because I didn't have the new adapter full seated. Once done, runout was gone. I know a lot of poeple that have the SN and the SN2 and not a bad word about either one.

The Stronghold and Talon are nice chucks as well. They're all made on the same basic design and principal. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either chuck you choose.