PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi TR12

Scott Patterson
12-04-2006, 3:00 PM
Can I safely use vertical panel raiser bits in my Hitachi TR12 (mounted in router table), or do I need a router with variable speed?

Thanks,
Scott

Don Selke
12-04-2006, 5:32 PM
Hi Scott:
I have the TR12 in my router table but I have a speed control mounted to the router table to control the router speed. The larger bits like panel raising bits should be run at a lower speed due to there diamater and size. I do not use vertical panel raiser bits, I only use the horiziontal type bits. The speed control I use has a switch which allows you to run the router at full speed or in a controlled speed. The TR12 has been a excillent router for me and it is dedicated to the router table. I like the speed control indipendent of the router as it is mounted outside the router compartment on the side of my router table. You may want to check with the bit manufacturer to determine what is the safe speed for your bit. Hope this helps.

glenn bradley
12-04-2006, 9:04 PM
That is a sweet looking' router. 20,000-odd rpm seems a bit fast to me. The vertical bits have the same profile as the horizontal so I'd be looking for less speed. Check your bit's manufacturer recommended speed if you can. I seem to recall Freud having a recommended speed chart based on profile on their website(?).

Scott Patterson
12-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Thank you all for your advise. Looks like I'll get a speed control for my router.

Scott

Curt Harms
12-05-2006, 7:27 PM
Hi Scott

I believe the number that matters for max. rotational speed is the diameter of the bit. I don't have ready access to a bit diameter-max speed chart but I'm certain You can find one. I believe one reason for creating raised panel bits was the ability to run in non-variable speed routers.

Curt

Jim Becker
12-05-2006, 7:36 PM
Vertical panel bits can run faster than horizontal ones. You may be ok with the single speed router for that. But you'll also need a nice, tall fence to work with them as well as a vertically oriented support system or sled to help you keep your panels moving through the cut in exactly the same plane.

If you do source a speed control, make sure what you intend to buy is compatible with your router. You need to accomodate the amperage for the tool and if it has soft-start (I don't think it does, but check...) you can't use a speed control.