PDA

View Full Version : DC Remote Start

Chris Merriam
12-04-2006, 1:15 PM
I'm working up my Christmas wishlist and want to put a Long Ranger on it. I've done a little research and it seems all the modules are set up for a DC that's plugged in, not hard-wired with a magnetic switch. Will a Long Ranger work with my 2HP, 220v Dust Gorilla? Can something be wired up to get it to work?

Thanks!

Paul Kinneberg
12-04-2006, 2:51 PM
Chris, Not sure when you purchased your Gorilla but I got mine last November (2005). I also bought the x75 remote module when I finally got the unit isnstalled this spring I very surprised to find a remote keyfob inside the switch box. It was hard wired, ready to go, and works great.

Hoa Dinh
12-04-2006, 3:00 PM
The Long Ranger will not work with a magnetic switch.

Chris Merriam
12-04-2006, 3:02 PM
I got mine shortly after you, very early this year. I didn't get the x75, and I don't recall seeing anything hiding in my switch box, but I'll double check when I get home tonight.

martyphee
12-04-2006, 3:09 PM
Sure you can. I have a mag starter on my torit. I ran a plug from the coil out of the enclosure and plugged it into an X10 (crap by the way) and it works. Even comes on in the middle of the night without doing anything ;-). The coil only uses a little power so the ranger will work fine. I plan on upgrading to the ranger or similar soon.

Just need to match your coil voltage to the ranger version. ie: 110v coil to ranger 110v or 220v to ranger 220v.

Larry Browning
12-04-2006, 3:52 PM
Check out using a contacter switch and 110 remote switch instead of a magnetic switch. Check out this link (http://www.beautifulwood.net/html/wireless_dc.html) to Dennis Peacock's site. This is what I did and it works GREAT!!!!! I think I have less the $50 invested and about 2 hours of work. I could do it again in about and hour.

martyphee
12-04-2006, 3:58 PM
That's not the proper way to do it. Your bypassing the safty of using a starter with it's heaters to protect the motor and you.

Chris Padilla
12-04-2006, 4:29 PM
Some motors have built-in protection for heat and overload situations so using a contactor in that situation should be fine. I don't see why it isn't proper.

martyphee
12-04-2006, 5:13 PM
Like you just said: "Some motors" I don't see those very often. My 5hp leeson on my DC doesn't. I've only seen them on smaller motors.

Chris Merriam
12-04-2006, 5:23 PM
Marty let me make sure I understand that. I've wired my lights and outlets, but I'm no electrician. Instead of the wire going from the switch to the motor, it goes to a receptacle (that's always on, or maybe I just turn the switch on when I'm in the shop), and then from the receptacle you wire up the Long Ranger as normal? So I buy a receptacle and a plug to fit on my motor power wires?

Thanks for your help!

martyphee
12-04-2006, 5:35 PM
No No.

If you haven't worked with motor starters you might want to find someone who has to look at yours.

A starter has a coil that when energized engages the contacts. I have an older style starter that ran a cord from the coil out of the enclosure. This replaces the start/stop buttons. This cord is then plugged into whatever remote sytem I use. Currently an X10 remote. Sorry, I don't have a good picture to show.

There are many different styles/types of starters.

Jim O'Dell
12-04-2006, 6:16 PM
No No.

If you haven't worked with motor starters you might want to find someone who has to look at yours.

A starter has a coil that when energized engages the contacts. I have an older style starter that ran a cord from the coil out of the enclosure. This replaces the start/stop buttons. This cord is then plugged into whatever remote sytem I use. Currently an X10 remote. Sorry, I don't have a good picture to show.

There are many different styles/types of starters.

It sure sounds like what you are describing is a contactor, or at least what I call a contactor. Sure we're not calling the same thing by 2 different names??? Jim.

Charles Grosjean
12-08-2006, 12:37 AM
If you're lazy, you can order the remote Grizzly switches used on their Cyclones and replace your entire magnetic switch assembly with it. This will provide adjustable overcurrent protection along with a remote operated contactor etc. They run about $100 and you have to order the remote separately for about $10. The only catch is you have to figure out which size to order. If you look through the PDF manuals for the Grizzly cyclones, you can see the amp ranges on the overload relay and pick appropriately.

I'm working up my Christmas wishlist and want to put a Long Ranger on it. I've done a little research and it seems all the modules are set up for a DC that's plugged in, not hard-wired with a magnetic switch. Will a Long Ranger work with my 2HP, 220v Dust Gorilla? Can something be wired up to get it to work?

Thanks!

glenn bradley
12-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Larry's got it.

lou sansone
12-08-2006, 6:45 AM
It sure sounds like what you are describing is a contactor, or at least what I call a contactor. Sure we're not calling the same thing by 2 different names??? Jim.

motor starters are contactors, but have the additional over-load protection or "heaters" as part of the over all assembly. contactors are more of a generic name for electo-magnetically activated electrical switches.

BTW I have used the remote lone ranger type of gizmos to activate my 3 phase industrial DC with great success. it is just place in the coil path and replaces the on off push buttons.

Chris Merriam
12-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to go with the Oneida supplied version. It costs an extra $15 or so, and I was reading another thread that mentioned possible interference, but coming up with an alternative is more trouble than I want to deal with. I've spent a year getting this silly DC system set up, I am done messing with it at this point.

Al Willits
12-08-2006, 1:19 PM
Just wondering, wouldn't something like the $65 remote woodcraft/? sells work and be a bit easier than messing with all the assembly stuff??

Al

After reading more I see they're good to only three hp.