PDA

View Full Version : OSB sheathing (gold)

mike malone
11-05-2003, 9:19 PM
hi
the cost of 5/8 OSB roofing sheathing has risen dramatically out here in calif. A few years ago it was $5.80 a sheet (4 x 8). It is now $18+ at HD. There have been 8500 housing starts this year in our area; add to this the recent fires and that stuff will be $25 a sheet.
Interested in knowing the cost of OSB in other areas of the country..pls fill me in
thanks
mike

Jim McFall
11-05-2003, 9:40 PM
We are about 50 miles West of Philly and 18 months ago to build a shed I paid under $5 per sheet for 7/16 4*8 sheets. Last Saturday at the HD the same stuff was a nickle less than $17.00

I wish I had bought a whole bundle last year.

Jim

Richard McComas
11-06-2003, 6:28 AM
hi
the cost of 5/8 OSB roofing sheathing has risen dramatically out here in calif. A few years ago it was $5.80 a sheet (4 x 8). It is now $18+ at HD. There have been 8500 housing starts this year in our area; add to this the recent fires and that stuff will be $25 a sheet.
Interested in knowing the cost of OSB in other areas of the country..pls fill me in
thanks
mike

Home Depot, Anchorage Alaska, 7/16 is now 18.99 which is about double what it was a year or so ago.

Brad Schafer
11-06-2003, 7:41 AM
have been several recent posts on this (subject contains "sheet goods" or somesuch) ...

i've had distributors blame everything from the war in Iraq to the hurriance to the CA fires. bottom line is there's a high demand than supply, and we're all feeling it.

3/4 T&G OSB has been BT $28-30/sheet here for the past 2 months. 7/16 has been $18-20. i keep hearing rumors that the price will be dropping off "real soon now", but my yard has been stuck on $18.65 for the past 4 weeks, so i doubt it's going to move much in the near term.

BTW - we can't buy more than a bundle (75 sheets) at a time (not that you'd want to).

Plywood's even worse,

b

John Miliunas
11-06-2003, 7:50 AM
I haven't checked recently in my neck of the woods, but I just can't help but wonder exactly *HOW MUCH* of the increase is due to the supply/demand principle and how much of it is due to gouging! I have little doubt that, due to recent national and world events, there is a high demand, but just like gas prices in similar situations, I tend to think that the manufacturers are padding their profit lines, as well. Just MHO....And we all know what they're worth! :cool:

mike malone
11-06-2003, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=John Miliunas]I haven't checked recently in my neck of the woods, but I just can't help but wonder exactly *HOW MUCH* of the increase is due to the supply/demand principle and how much of it is due to gouging!QUOTE]

hi
looks like the prices are pretty much consistant across the country...even way up in alaska! It does one's heart good to know that the "gougers" are all on the same page...eh?
i think they call that "organized crime"
cheers
mike

Joe Suelter
11-06-2003, 12:29 PM
Here in Central Illinois it's under $6.00/sheet for 7/16". Man, $18 a sheet adds up fast!!! My question is, how can it be less than half here versus there? Unreal.

Richard McComas
11-06-2003, 4:02 PM
[QUOTE=John Miliunas]I haven't checked recently in my neck of the woods, but I just can't help but wonder exactly *HOW MUCH* of the increase is due to the supply/demand principle and how much of it is due to gouging!QUOTE]

hi
looks like the prices are pretty much consistant across the country...even way up in alaska! It does one's heart good to know that the "gougers" are all on the same page...eh?
i think they call that "organized crime"
cheers
mike

Mike, if the "gougers" are all on the same page then I think were getting a deal way up here in Alaska. Our prices all usually higher here due to freight charges, so it looks like were getting free shipping on the OSB to Alaska.

Yea right, anybody want to sell me a bridge.

Michael Cody
11-06-2003, 8:56 PM
Here in Central Illinois it's under $6.00/sheet for 7/16". Man, $18 a sheet adds up fast!!! My question is, how can it be less than half here versus there? Unreal.

Man if it's 6$ a sheet, buy up all you can and bring it up to Michigan, it'a 18-19$ a sheet here for 7/16" ... make a mint. I had 50 extra sheets left over from a project that didn't get done and sold it in September for 12$ a sheet.. sold to the first guy who called and he took all of it. I only paid 4.95$ for it about 1.5 years ago.