PDA

View Full Version : I need a "wha-cha-mac-all-it". What's it called?

Jim Mackell
12-04-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm in the process of finishing a slant top desk based on one that has been in the family for a long time. The slant top is held in the open positon by a decorative chain. Found a nice antique brass version at Lowes.

What I'm having a hard time finding is the closed eye hook in brass finish that the chain attaches to. But at least I know what it's called and can keep searching.

The eye hooks go into both the desk sides and the slant top. In both cases there is a small trim piece around the eye hook. Think of a silver dollar. About that size, some filigree embossed on it and a hole in the center for the eye hook to go through.

What the devil is that called? And who might stock it?:confused::confused::confused:

"Puzzled"

Nancy Laird
12-04-2006, 1:02 PM
Jim, I'm not sure what they are called either, but if you google "antique hardware" or "restoration hardware", there are bunches of places where you can find you are looking for.

http://www.restorationhardware.com

This is only one.

Nancy

Jim DeLaney
12-04-2006, 1:29 PM
I think it's called an escutcheon. If Nancy's source doesn't have them, try Woodworkers Hardware, or Van Dykes.

Nancy Laird
12-04-2006, 1:43 PM
Thanks, Jim. Van Dyke's was the name I was trying to recall--but I'm at my day job and don't have access to my catalog file.

Nancy

Chuck Saunders
12-04-2006, 1:43 PM
I just got the Hardware catalog from Lee Valley. I was impressed by the variety of hardware shown.
Chuck