PDA

View Full Version : Almost Finished Walnut Coffee Table

Keith Benningfield
12-04-2006, 11:18 AM
This is a Walnut Coffee Table that I have been working on. It is only my second project and I'm hoping to learn from some or your constructive criticism.

This is a table that I designed. The idea for the top came from a table at my grandparents house and the design of the leg came from a table shown in a Foley's ad. I'm concerned that the alternating grain patern of the top could cause problems down the road. Will that be the case?

To this point I have applied two coats of BLO. I'm leaning towards using Behlen Rockhard as the finish. Do any of you recomend this or have any other ideas.

I look forward to reading your responses.

Larger pictures can be found at the following link:
http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r79/keith-benn/

Thanks,
Keith

Roger Barga
12-04-2006, 3:04 PM
Nice work! The overall design and proportions are pleasing to my eye. I especially like the design of the top, though I can't answer your question on wood movement. Did you route out the profile on the legs? If so, how - I assume you used a pattern jig. Pls share the details... Again, great work, esp for your second project.

cheers,
roger

Keith Benningfield
12-04-2006, 3:58 PM
Roger,
Thanks for your compliments. Yes, I did route out the profile in the legs. I drew up a template on Autocad and used that to create the jig.

Robert Mayer
12-04-2006, 5:09 PM
How did you do the top, is that veneer?

I did the behlens finish on a poker table. The stuff is extremely durable. I found it a bit of a challenge to get it really smooth though. But its definitely the thing to use on coffee tables.

Keith Benningfield
12-04-2006, 5:16 PM
Robert,
It's not a veneer. It's all 1" material cut and glued. There are supports running from apron to apron to give the top more strength.

I went by Woodcraft durring lunch today and they recomended using poly. Since I already have the poly I'll probably just use it.

Ken Shoemaker
12-04-2006, 5:23 PM
Keith,
Outstanding design... I have no doubt that everyone who sits around that table will mention it's beauty.... WELL DONE!!!!

everett lowell
12-04-2006, 6:09 PM
Hey Keith, you got nice legs! just kiddin' , love the legs and the top is awesome! nice work!

John Fry
12-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Keith,

Your table is very attractive. I hate to say this, but I would be concerned about wood movement with this type of construction. My concerns would not only be about movement affecting the miters of the outer frame, but even the cross grained glueup of the pieces in the main field.

If I was making this table, I would have definately veneered the top and removed any question about wood movement.

But, you've made it, it is beautiful, go ahead and complete your finish job, and we'll all be rooting for you...............maybe it will be just fine!

Keith Benningfield
12-05-2006, 8:35 AM
Thanks to everybody for all of your kind words. John, thanks for your thoughts on the top and wood movement, I guess only time will tell. Until then I'll enjoy it.

Homer Faucett
12-05-2006, 1:43 PM
Robert,
It's not a veneer. It's all 1" material cut and glued. There are supports running from apron to apron to give the top more strength.

I went by Woodcraft durring lunch today and they recomended using poly. Since I already have the poly I'll probably just use it.

Poly will work, but Behlen's is more durable and easier to repair if it is scratched.

Plus, this post convinced me that Rockhard was the way to go when finishing something you want to really glow:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17615&highlight=shameless+festool+plug