PDA

View Full Version : Last week's turning project

John Davidson
11-05-2003, 7:25 PM
I turned this for my mother last week. She has been very sick this last summer. She has been out of the hospital for about 6 weeks and seem to be making great progress on her recovery.

The wood, a piece of maple, came from a tree out of her backyard this last spring. It was badly damage in a ice storm and was in danger of comming down on her nieghbor's fence. So, I went up and cut it down for mom to save her the cost of having it removed. I took home 4 big section of the trunk, sealed them and then put them away. I don't know if it had something to do with the wet summer we had this year but when I cut them open a few weeks ago I found that they had nicely spalted.

Thanks for looking
John

Ace Karner
11-05-2003, 7:28 PM
Awesome piece, bet that makes her feel better just looking at it.

Glenn Hodges
11-05-2003, 8:07 PM
John, that spalting and your expertise makes for a very fine piece. Your mother must be proud of you. I really like the use of the black on the vase, it just makes it so nice.

Julie Wright
11-05-2003, 9:13 PM
:) That piece is BEAUTIFUL. Your Mother will love it. O especially like the black banding and the spalting. Very Nice. :)

Bob Lasley
11-05-2003, 11:20 PM
John,

Great job! Beautiful piece of wood made more beautiful by your craftsmanship.

All the best to your mother and hope her recovery continues.

Bob

Dave Brandt
11-06-2003, 7:57 AM
John, Now that is art! Beautiful. Dave

Ed Marks
11-06-2003, 8:03 AM
John, really nice work. The shape and proportions are great.

Steve Clardy
11-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Don't have any more words other than FANTASTIC!!
Really like the shape, spalt, and the black rings. Steve

Tom Sweeney
11-06-2003, 10:30 AM
I love the look of spalted maple vessels. you did a real fine job on this one - glad to hear your mom's feeling better too - I'l bet she loved the gift.

Wolf Kiessling
11-06-2003, 2:56 PM
I turned this for my mother last week. She has been very sick this last summer. She has been out of the hospital for about 6 weeks and seem to be making great progress on her recovery.

The wood, a piece of maple, came from a tree out of her backyard this last spring. It was badly damage in a ice storm and was in danger of comming down on her nieghbor's fence. So, I went up and cut it down for mom to save her the cost of having it removed. I took home 4 big section of the trunk, sealed them and then put them away. I don't know if it had something to do with the wet summer we had this year but when I cut them open a few weeks ago I found that they had nicely spalted.

Thanks for looking
John

Sweet, John, very sweet. A striking piece. Your mom will love it forever.

Wolf