PDA

View Full Version : Horse race >>>>

richard poitras
12-04-2006, 9:16 AM
Well it’s down to two horse’s (Band Saws), which one will end up in my barn?
Its ether the grizzly GO514X / or the Steel City #50250-18” both are the same price delivered to my door. Iam just wondering if anybody has compared these two saws side by side (seen both in person and or used) I did see the SC saw in person it looks pretty good it has a beefy design for the blade tensioning (two tension springs and 1/4in steel) and can be easily adjusted from the back side for adjusting of the upper wheel and the table trunnions are castings rather than stamped steel
It weighs about 75lbs more. And it has extra steel angled for deflection of the tensioning of the blade and a brake (brake does not turn motor off just rubs against the pulley once you turn it off), but it is only 2 hp compared to the 3 horse of the grizzly, (not sure if the 3hp over the 2hp will affect the performance of the saw in regards to re-sawing, that is the only purpose Iam looking at these saws is for re-sawing) and the blade speed is only 3100 compared to 3500 on the grizzly, slightly smaller blade size 6’’ has only one 4’’ dust port compares to two on the grizzly and the fence is junk on the SC. Iam checking the weight of the wheels to see which ones are heavier. Any impute and options would be help full in regards to helping me make up my mind as far as which one I should buy …. Thanks

Both go for about $1200.00 not wanting to spend more money on a higher caliber saw …

JayStPeter
12-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Sounds like you have the pros and cons complete. I don't know much about the SC saw. I'm not sure if the fence on the G0514 is the same as what came on my G0513. If so, I wouldn't count it as a serious positive toward resawing. Mine is really notchy to adjust and doesn't hold real well when banged into (ie very light duty). On the other hand, the most recent BS test I read showed blade speed to be the most important factor in resawing speed. Not sure if I helped much ... giddyup