PDA

View Full Version : Reviews of Vertical Panel Saws

Teri McCarter
12-04-2006, 9:01 AM
I am planning to make free standing bookshelves, window seats and children's unique captain style beds. I have been looking at the Safety Speed Cut C4, Milwaukee 6480-20 and the Saw Trax Compact 52VP. Has anyone used these and could give me some insite? I am leaning toward the Saw Trax because you can change the machines out and use a router. Not to mention make bevel cuts.
Also, someone told me that you have to have special insurance to sell children's furniture. Is this just baby furniture or anything used through age 18? I am only interested in the captain style bed but it isn't really restricted to children. The one I have designed would be great in a guest room/ office. I don't plan to mass produce, that is why I am looking at a more economical saw. I will only be making furniture part-time on a special order basis. I know many people use the EZ system and others like it, but I think those would be more difficult for me because I have short arms and already struggle with my husbands circular saw.
Thanks in advance for the info!,
Teri

Charles McKinley
12-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi Terri,

I would look at the Festool set up for the money you would spend. l set up and use a shorter bench to make it easier to make the cross cuts. Festool because of the better dust collection and ability to use it in a customer's home.

I built the saw trax kit and it is about 1/8" off on a 4' cross cut. I will tweak this out some day but limits it to a break down tool for now. I have the EZ system and like it except for the dust collection.

Jamie Buxton
12-04-2006, 10:54 AM
You don't have to have insurance to sell furniture. However, in this litigious society, that may leave you at risk of lawsuits. Many small companies choose to buy "product liability" insurance, which protects you if somebody sues you. Talk to an agent for commercial insurance.

Teri McCarter
12-04-2006, 11:36 AM
I am not planning on building a vertical panel saw. I don't think $1500 is to much since I was considering a bigger table saw and a radial arm saw. I can just use the veritcal and the smaller portable table saw I already have. Like I said, I have trouble with a circular saw because I am short, my arms are short and I don't have enough strength to hold everything. Has anyone used or seen some of these in action. Of course I have watched the big one at Lowes but these are a small scale version. I will not be working in anyone's home, strickly my shop and I have room for the vertical. I am not looking to do everthing the cheapest way but what is comfortable for me because that translates to the safest for me.
BTW, I really liked the video of the Festool on their website and that is what got me started looking for something better than my current setup.
thanks,
Teri

Dan Racette
12-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Teri, I have not tried the milwaukee, but I have had the opportunity to use the other two systems. I like both, but the sawtrax has a nice squaring system. They are definitely going to keep your hands away from the tool and the tool is captured on rails, so that isn't going to move either.

Good luck on your venture.

dan

Jeffrey Makiel
12-05-2006, 10:57 AM
I have a panel saw. It's homemade and a great backsaver. But it doesn't provide 'finish' quality cuts, especially with delicate materials like oak plywood or melamine. I use it mostly to breakdown sheets so I can get them into my basement shop (the panel saw is in my garage).

The biggest downfall of a guided saw system that I see is the manipulation of sheets into a horizontal position, versus lifting them on edge when feeding a panel saw. For me, a guided system would require two people. Until guided saw manufacturers invent a low cost miracle machine that places sheet goods on saw horses automatically, the bulged discs in my back will insist on me using a panel saw.

If you want exceptionally clean cuts with a panel saw, you need to talk to somebody that has an SSC or Milwaukee panel saw to determine if these machines are capable of this quality. There are much, much higher end panel saws from companies like Holzher that provide these machines apparently for a reason. This is well beyond my experience or hobbyist needs.

cheers, Jeff :)

Dave Rawn
12-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi Teri
I have a sawtrax panel saw and love it. I've been using it for about a year now and has become a very important part of my business. It has saved me a lot of back work and time. I cut only 1/8 inch baltic birch 5'x5' sheets and I cut 5 sheets at a time. I have cut about a 1000 sheets so far and the saw has worked great every time. A very good investment for me. Here is what I have.

Midsize 7.5 Feet wide with a crosscut of 64 inches

Varsity Package that includes Folding stand & Wheels, Stop Bar & Tapes, Dual rip gauge, Dust Brush.

64" Spring Hold Down

2-28" Mid-Fences

Dust Collection system

Once you have the saw squared up and bolted in place it will not move out of allignment. The crosscuts are not as smooth as I would like but that is the fault of the blade not the sawtrax. I will have to start trying some different blades.

Per Swenson
12-05-2006, 1:24 PM
Teri,

Couple of years ago with money in hand and brain in that direction,

I was seconds away from ordering a saw trax with the trailer hitch
option. I balked. Thought hard about it and went with a Guided system.

Best darn move ever. Now not to be a misogynist, but if you go to Mr.
John Lucas's site, www.woodshopdemos.com you can see how easy it is for
a women of small stature to use.

I hope this helps.

Per