PDA

View Full Version : Solar Collector I built

Joe Trotter
12-03-2006, 6:13 PM
I built a simple solar collector this past weekend. It pulls cold air in from the bottom and as it rises it heats it.

It is made from a old double pane patio door about 28" X 76". It has a simple 2X6 frame, an osb back, a sheet of 1 1/2 foam insulation and some 2X2 material.

The sun passes through the glass and hits a black painted steel collector plate ( a piece of barn metal). The 2X2 material creates runs and the air has to pass from left to right and the right to left through six runs.

I put a small cfm computer fan at the outlet to pull air through the collector. It will flow on it's own through convection, but the fan helps give it a boost.

I tested it this weekend and it was pumping 100 degree air at the outlet. This was with a 24 degree Colorado day.

I was pleased with the results. It wont heat my garage but it will help :)

Joe

As soon as I can figure out where to store the pictures on this site I will post them.

OK, I found the link for posting.... Thanks Frank :)

Frank Chaffee
12-03-2006, 7:04 PM
Excellent Joe,
And the price is right too!

Here is a link to a primo tutorial on posting pics here on the Creek in a manner that will allow them to be archived in perpetuity…
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31106&highlight=posting

I look forward to seeing your pics!

Frank

Mitchell Andrus
12-03-2006, 7:57 PM
Way cool... er, hot! A word of caution... Find a way to vent that thing in the event the power goes out - melting lead plate over some holes - convection may do it, but I'd put a thermometer in it and watch it for the first few days with the fan off.

Jerry Clark
12-03-2006, 8:04 PM
Now maybe a solor fan!:D I think they have a small one at a camper store. Great idea!

Joe Trotter
12-04-2006, 9:17 AM
Way cool... er, hot! A word of caution... Find a way to vent that thing in the event the power goes out - melting lead plate over some holes - convection may do it, but I'd put a thermometer in it and watch it for the first few days with the fan off.

Are you speaking of the lead in the motors solder connections? How much heat would that take?

Charles McKinley
12-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi Joe,

Nice to see real world test of an article from Mother Earth News. Is that where you got the idea? There is an article on them in the latest issue.

How do you plan to cover it in the summer so you don't cook yourself out?

Thanks for sharing.

Joe Trotter
12-05-2006, 3:00 PM
Hi Joe,

Nice to see real world test of an article from Mother Earth News. Is that where you got the idea? There is an article on them in the latest issue.

How do you plan to cover it in the summer so you don't cook yourself out?

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Charles,
My Dad made one many years ago and I remembered it. I did a search on the internet and found some great information.

Since it is on the side of my garage inside of a dog kennel I may just screw a piece of OSB on it. I have 4 acres and the garage is all the way in the back corner so only the dog, horse, calves, and I will know :)

Joe