PDA

View Full Version : How NOT To Maintain Your Jointer

Scott Vigder
12-03-2006, 5:42 PM
While trying to release the cutterhead pulley on my 8" aircraft carrier, I had to position a push stick above the cutterhead and whack it with my deadblow until the pulley came off. A nice routine maintanence item could have been checked off if I hadn't inadvertently whacked my thumb with the hammer!

We've all been there. But I forgot to position the cutterhead knives below the outfeed tables so when I whacked my thumb, it went right into the corner of a knife. Imagine my surprise when I looked down, expecting to see a nicely swelling thumb ready to turn black and blue, and instead see this steadily oozing red liquid dripping from my thumbnail. Double Ouch!

Luckily I had just replenished the Band Aid box the week before. Some nice cold water and a couple tightly-wrapped bandages later, I completed the task. Tonight I'll re-wrap with some antibiotic cream smeared all over the wound (since I have small children, we seem to have a tube of that stuff in every room of the house).

So watch where you position those cutterhead knives when maintaining your jointer. And if you have a spiral cutterhead, well, use that extra long pushstick!

Tom Pritchard
12-03-2006, 6:05 PM
Ouch Scott, thanks for the reminder! It amazes me how the simple tasks are the ones that end up really biting you every time. Hope you heal quikly!

Jim Becker
12-03-2006, 8:25 PM
Scott...I'm continually telling our girls that one shouldn't do something if it hurts like that!! :D :D (Oh, "ouch"...yow!!! 'Hope it heals fast!)