PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Purchase

Kevin Swindle
11-05-2003, 1:49 PM
I am considering the purchase of a jointer in the near future and am leaning towards the PM 6" Model 54A. It goes for about 750. The Grizzly 8" Model G1018HW sells for about 50 bucks less. If anyone has experience with either of these jointers I would like to hear about it.

Thanks,

Dennis McDonaugh
11-05-2003, 2:28 PM
I am considering the purchase of a jointer in the near future and am leaning towards the PM 6" Model 54A. It goes for about 750. The Grizzly 8" Model G1018HW sells for about 50 bucks less. If anyone has experience with either of these jointers I would like to hear about it.

Thanks,

I have the Grizzly 1018HW and can't imagine having less than 8" capacity on a jointer. Its been a good machine--set up was easy and its performed flawlessly.

Kurt Aebi
11-05-2003, 3:38 PM
I have a Delta JT360 6" Jointer. It works fine for me, If I need a surface larger than that, I use my thickness planer. It ran me less than $500.00 at woodworker's warehouse. I like how quiet it is compared to the little 4" table top Craftsman one it replaced.

Kurt

Tom Scott
11-05-2003, 3:52 PM
I have the PM 64, the predecessor to the 64A with shorter beds, which I bought after the 64A came out and they were on clearance. While this is a great machine, I think I would steer you towards the 8" unless there are bad reviews. The 6" width is limiting.

Phil Phelps
11-05-2003, 4:49 PM
I've seen the yeller one. Not impressed. I have the green one. Very nice, has good reputation.

chris toomey
11-05-2003, 5:45 PM
grizzly 8 inch...hands down..no contest. i wish i was in your situation. i bought a jet 6 inch...its a great machine, but wish it was bigger. i'll get a bigger one when i can...right now kids are sucking the green out of me.

Mike Evertsen
11-06-2003, 12:56 AM
glad to see the grizzly 8" got some good reveiws,,later this year if things go right and santa is good to me that will under the tree,,,,then my b.d. is in feb. and i can get the new dewalt planer,,,,then fathers day I'll have a cyclone or an air compressor,,,got having no SWMBO to answer to is great,,,,,LOL

Keith Outten
11-06-2003, 5:56 AM
I bought a Grizzly 8 x 72 joiner in the late eighties. It was perfect right out of the box. I can't imagine using a joiner under 72" long for edge joining long boards.

Terre Hooks
11-06-2003, 10:54 AM
I bought the Grizzly 1018HW 8" jointer about this time last year. I would not buy it again. The first set of belts that came with the jointer were so bad, the 400# beast would walk across a recently slick finished concrete floor. The second set they sent me were the correct length, but they were 1/2" wide belts, instead of 3/8" belts. They finally sent me some decent 3/8" belts. When I installed them, I never knew a jointer could run so smooth. But, this took 4 or 5 long distance phone calls to Tech Support. Also, the 2"x#8-32 screws were missing to mount the switch. Not a big deal, but if you don't have any and are putting the thing together at 8 pm and do not have a big box around, you can forget trying to get the thing running because that is the first thing you do, mount the switch. The (4) 3/8" E-clips were also missing to put together the knife setting jig. Again, not a big deal until you get to looking at the $735 charge on your credit card.

Second problem was that the fence was not perpendicular to the knives. It would also "wiggle" if you put your hands on each end of the fence and shake it. It didn't take much pressure to do this.

SEVERAL long distance phone calls were needed to solve this problem. I was told each time that the tech would call me back at a certain hour, that hour would pass and I would eventually call back, because I wanted the thing fixed.

Grizzly finally ended up sending me the upper and lower horseshoes for the back of the fence. I was only able to use the top, because the lower horseshoe Grizzly sent didn't have the long 5/16" or so square key in the new one, and I don't have the capabilities to press the pins out of the old one and into the new one. I re-used the existing lower part, took off the parts needed for the upper horseshoe, connected it back to the fence, adjusted it, and it is fine now.

Yeah, it's ok now, but I have about 5 hours of my time in repairing this jointer to get it in "New" condition.

If I were looking for an 8" jointer, and looking at the $750-800 price range, I'd save my pennies a few more months and get the new Powermatic 60B 8" jointer. It can be had for a little over $1000. Or, search and buy a used DJ-20 or some old jointer.

I wouldn't buy another piece of Grizzly equipment. Just my opinion.

nic obie
11-06-2003, 1:30 PM

Thanks,

I'd say go 8". Right now, it seems, you will get the most bang for your buck buying one of the 4 knife cutterhead jointers.

If you don't like Grizzly green, Sunhill sells one that is a nice shade of blue. I bought one and am happy with it.

Rick Haigh
11-06-2003, 1:42 PM
I have the Grizzly 1018 and have been very happy with it. It is nice to have so much tool for that much money.

Rick

Mike Evertsen
11-06-2003, 1:46 PM
I'd say go 8". Right now, it seems, you will get the most bang for your buck buying one of the 4 knife cutterhead jointers.

If you don't like Grizzly green, Sunhill sells one that is a nice shade of blue. I bought one and am happy with it.

nice blue paint,,,good price ,,,,four head cutter, 2 hp motor, 60 lbs heavyer
something to think about,,,,

Jay Albrandt
11-06-2003, 11:44 PM
I bought the 8" Grizzly. I had some problems with pieces being square and after 4 tries over 4 months, Grizzly couldn't get the problem fixed. The parts were all just as bad as the original. Customer service was very poor in their follow through. Grizzly maintains that they were providing good customer service because they kept sending me parts, but hey, the problem never got fixed and I sent the jointer back and got my money back. If you want specifics, I detailed the whole ordeal here on SMC so you can do a search under my name and pull it up.

I bought a Jet 8" and I couldn't be happier. Bottom line....all companies are going to produce a lemon sooner or later, it is how they deal with the problem that separates good companies from bad.

Good Luck.

Jay