PDA

View Full Version : 2nd HF

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2006, 4:16 PM
Here is my second HF. It is Elm with a Walnut collar. It stands 7" tall and 5 1/2" across. It is finished with Watco Danish Oil. I will probably put some wipe on poly on when it has dried for 72 hrs. The walls are somewhere around 1/8" to 1/4". The LOML thinks the collar is fine but I think it is just a little on the thick side. Oh well she likes it.

Mark Pruitt
12-03-2006, 4:25 PM
Bernie, I have to agree with you about the collar but that is nonetheless an excellent piece. Beautiful color and the DO really brings it out. You've been busy! Looks like the HF bug has bitten.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2006, 4:35 PM
Very nice Bernie! While the collar looks good....I'm with you....a little thinner would be better. Please post another photo after you have completed the finishing!

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2006, 4:36 PM
Nice work Bernie! Have to agree with you both - collar is a little on the thick side IMO. Maybe a slight taper? Anyway, nice work and really nice looking wood!

Christopher Hunter
12-03-2006, 4:52 PM
Well Bernie, you are really going to town--
Great job !!!
I really like the shape ...
and hey that collar makes it unique...
Keep 'em comin'
--Chris

Bob Noles
12-03-2006, 5:30 PM
Bernie,

You made an absolute mess of that collar! About the only thing I see you can do at this point is make a new one and send me the old one, I take care of the disposal for you.

Great job my old friend.... but then again, isn't everything you do great?

Pete Jordan
12-03-2006, 5:43 PM
Bernie you old Bandit!

Captain Kirk should have called on you for warp speed!

Keep it up. They are a pleasure to view.

John Miliunas
12-03-2006, 5:54 PM
While I agree that the larger collar is a bit overkill, the piece, as a whole, is well done! And, as long as the LOYL likes it, it'd be a winner! :) Man, you're just kicking some serious butt on these things, ain't ya' now? :D :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2006, 7:25 PM
Thanks again. I had bought the Kelton hollowers back in Sept. and this has been the first time I have had to try them. Carol Valentine is the one who got me onto them. I really, really like how they work. They will if you turn them slightly will do a shear cut and leaves very little if any sanding. So you can hog some wood with them or take light shear cuts.

Thanks also for the comments as I will work on my collars. I guess I need to quit being cheap, break down and buy some ebony. I am going to get some other exotic woods for collars. I will study some of the HF collars and see if I can improve that.

Steven DeMars
12-03-2006, 7:33 PM
It is very nice, but for a newbie . . . how will you center and how will you hold it now to finish it . . .

Steve

Curt Fuller
12-03-2006, 8:30 PM
That's a beauty Bernie. I'm not sure what you mean by the collar being 'to thick'. I think it would look nice if it were flatter so that it didn't interrupt the flow line of the vase. But the width is fine. Nice work!

Tom Sherman
12-03-2006, 9:17 PM
Bernie I like the form but I agree with you the collar just is not quite right. But I like the piece for sure.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-03-2006, 9:20 PM
I usually don't like to see thick collars but this one seem to fit the form well. Nice Job Bernie!:)

Corey Hallagan
12-03-2006, 9:21 PM
Way to go Bernie. Another beautiful piece!! Keep them doming.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2006, 10:51 PM
It is very nice, but for a newbie . . . how will you center and how will you hold it now to finish it . . .

Steve

Steve I finished it with the Watco on the lathe. I will use probably wipe on poly, spray poly or Lacquer. Not sure what you mean by holding and centering but won't need the lathe to apply those.

John Hart
12-04-2006, 6:42 AM
Pretty piece Bernie! I think that it is not so much the collar, but the point where it starts sloping down. If the slope began just at the edge of the opening, then it would make a graceful curve to the body.

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2006, 1:00 PM
Thanks John that is what I got to thinking last night as I looked at it. Oh well will keep trying and learning.