PDA

View Full Version : HELP me be a Camera Santa!

Andy Haney
12-03-2006, 3:53 PM
I see from checking some other threads that some of you understand this subject. So you know how little I know about cameras, the last one I bought for myself was a "pocket 110"! I just ordered a Nikkon D50 for my daughter this Christmas. That's what she wanted, and I found a "kit" on-line that seems to be a good deal.

The "kit" doesn't include a 1GB memory card, which I know I need. Any guidance about brands/varieties of memory cards to buy or stay away from would be appreciated. The price at the local W-mart is about 50% higher than some on-line sources, and may not be comparable in quality.

Any other "gotta have" items for Christmas morning? Bear in mind that this has already been an expensive shopping trip, alll without leaving my seat!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy

Doug Shepard
12-03-2006, 4:10 PM
I know the Sandisk cards are pretty standard. I was able to pop one of those out of my Dad's camera into the card reader slot on my laptop with no problems reading it. I cant get the cheaper Asian one (forget the brand name at the moment) that I got with my cam to read in the same drive, although I don't have any problems reading from it (or the Sandisk either) when using an external USB card reader. You've certainly dropped a chunk of change on her gift, but if you're still looking for other items a USB card reader is handy to keep with the cam. They're pretty cheap and let you plug into pretty much any PC and download pics from the card. I hate actually hooking the cam up to the PC and would rather pop the card out and insert it in the drive.

Ted Shrader
12-03-2006, 4:36 PM
Andy -

I have always had good luck with SanDisk (have used CF1, CF2 and SD). Go with at least 1G.

Other thoughts for Christmas morning:
Charge the battery when the camera comes (before you wrap it)
An extra battery
Camera case - LoweProŽ makes some nice ones
Just helping you spend your money. :)

Regards,
Ted

Christopher Stahl
12-03-2006, 4:42 PM
Ridata and Transcend tend to be excellent cards for the money, and they are fast to boot. If you get a card reader, make sure it's USB 2.0 or Firewire for her PC or Mac, respectively.

You may want to consider 2GB card or higher since 1GB doesn't go very far anymore.

If you're looking for additional that you may want to buy, here are a couple that people forget to purchase.

1. A decent camera bag. There are plenty of companies out there that make great bags. I give my friends a hard time for not owning a camera bag. One just dropped his D70s crossing the street just a couple weeks ago and the strap was around his neck. It happens. THIS IS A MUST HAVE!

2. Cleaning kit. Usually comes with a small blower and a microfiber cloth. A must have. A MUST HAVE!

3. Maybe a filter to protect the lens. I personally don't use them but some people insist. I'll use one at the beach to keep the salt and sand off my lenses. If you do get one, make sure it's a good brand because cheap ones reduce image quality. Look at B&W, Hoya, Tiffin or Nikon.

4. Extra battery. They don't last long if you're out shooting for the day.

5. You can never go wrong with additional memory cards.

That should get you started. :)

Mitchell Andrus
12-03-2006, 5:34 PM
Everything Chris said is good.

My 15 year old just bought himself a D70s and 4 lenses, backpack, etc., $2,600.00+, his money. I don't have much to get him other than transportation to interesting photo shoots. He's into nature and macro-photography of insects and flora.

How about 5 coupons for weekend trips to anywhere your daughter needs to go (within reason) in order to find that perfect sunset. A macro extender or better strobe (flash) would come in handy too.

Christopher Stahl
12-03-2006, 6:46 PM
Mitchell, we'll have all of Andy's money spent before he gets to use it. ;) I certainly like the idea of trips to find the perfect sunset.

Andy Haney
12-03-2006, 6:55 PM
and I have to get the loan from SWMBO. I'm going to leave some of these things for our daughter to get for herself, but I want to get a few "essentials" for start-up.

While I have already placed the camera order with "FotoConnection", I'm already a little concerned about their calling to try and "upgrade" the sale. Let me know if you're aware of any concerns about them.

Thanks again,
Andy

Mack Cameron
12-03-2006, 7:04 PM
Someone once told me -- if you don't like a person and would like to bankrupt them, "buy them a camera".

Christopher Stahl
12-03-2006, 7:11 PM
Yes, cancel this order, they are not a reputable dealer. That's a grey market camera and they are not an authorized dealer, nor is it a manufactures warranty. These guys take your order and then try to sell you additional equipment at outrageous prices to make up for the "fantastic" deal you got on the camera. If you don't buy these items, chances are the D50 will mysteriously go out of stock.

You should buy from authorized dealers that provide the full Nikon warranty and have a good reputation. B&H, Adorama, H1Photo, Cameta, etc...

Andy Haney
12-03-2006, 8:38 PM
I'd rather pursue your last message off-line.

Andy

Tim Morton
12-03-2006, 9:15 PM
I'd rather pursue your last message off-line.

Andy

yes Andy, I agree...cancel the order NOW and contact your CC company. I was just reading about this place last night. I am a HUGE supporter of B&H...or even amazon. Sometimes the lowest price is not the best deal.

Good Luck!

Andy Haney
12-08-2006, 7:40 PM
Please check your email if you don't mind helping a little more with this FotoConnection screw-up I've made.

Andy