PDA

View Full Version : Planer Purchasing Advice please

Joe Suelter
11-05-2003, 1:15 PM
Hi guys. I will be needing a thickness planer to complete some X-mas presents this year...I'm tired of borrowing! Never had to shop for one before, so not really sure what to look for. Money IS an option here! :(
I read a really good article on the new DeWalt, but at $400+ it is a little out of reach. There is a guy here locally in the paper selling a couple year old DeWalt (says it's never been out of the box? :rolleyes: ) for $275. I also see that Grizzly has a couple--one for $195 and one for $295 (with stand). So, what say ye, fellow Creekers, what shall I do? What brands/models do you own/use and like/dislike. The thing I'm looking for is things like blades (2???), table length, those type of things. You all have never failed me before, so I look forward to your responses. Thanks

David Arcoleo
11-05-2003, 1:40 PM
I read a really good article on the new DeWalt, but at $400+ it is a little out of reach. There is a guy here locally in the paper selling a couple year old DeWalt (says it's never been out of the box? :rolleyes: )

You can buy the DW733 (what the guy is selling) for $299 brand new from amazon w/ free shipping. I did and feel I made a good purchase. For a long time the 733 was considered a great planer. The introduction of the 735 doesn't change that.

-Dave

Bob Reilly
11-05-2003, 3:37 PM
Amazon has the Delta 22-580 for $359.00 after a $50.00 rebate.

scott spencer
11-05-2003, 5:42 PM
Joe - If you can pick up the Delta 22-580 for $359, I'd jump on it....excellent two speed planer that I've never seen it at this price before. If that's still out of reach, or is not available, my current "best buy" vote would be for the DeWalt DW733. Those have been selling pretty regularly in the $280 range.

FWIW - the $200 Grizzly got decent remarks in a recent review. Expect some snipe from it, as it doesn't have a cutterhead lock, and it doesn't have the proven track that the Delta and DeWalt have. Also at the $200 mark is the Delta "Shopmaster" TP300, which is the old 22-540 workhorse in new clothes....that also doesn't have a cutterhead lock and will snipe a bit.

Bud Duffy
11-05-2003, 7:08 PM
I vote for the one the guy has for $275 new in the box but id look at it first.

David Rose
11-05-2003, 8:18 PM
Scott, my 22-580 "snipes a bit" too. I've yet to see a planer that wouldn't snipe a little under at least some circumstances. Most of the time it is negligible. Sometimes, even lifting the board on entry and exit it is substantial. I've gone through all the table adjusting schemes and can live with it, but it's there. I have read that others say they don't get any snipe, but I have yet to experience that.

David

Joe - If you can pick up the Delta 22-580 for $359, I'd jump on it....excellent two speed planer that I've never seen it at this price before. If that's still out of reach, or is not available, my current "best buy" vote would be for the DeWalt DW733. Those have been selling pretty regularly in the $280 range.

FWIW - the $200 Grizzly got decent remarks in a recent review. Expect some snipe from it, as it doesn't have a cutterhead lock, and it doesn't have the proven track that the Delta and DeWalt have. Also at the $200 mark is the Delta "Shopmaster" TP300, which is the old 22-540 workhorse in new clothes....that also doesn't have a cutterhead lock and will snipe a bit.

Joe Suelter
11-05-2003, 9:08 PM
Thanks a lot guys. After looking them over I think I might save a few more Lincoln's and get the new DeWalt. I guess I can borrow the use of one to get me through the holiday's....maybe Santa will come through for me this year! I'd really hate to rush into buying one and end up not liking it, or has a considerable amount of snipe. The only drawback to it is they say it weighs slightly less than a Buick. That could be a problem in my smaller shop, as I will surely be moving it around quite a bit. But, at just over 90 lbs. I don't think it will slide around or vibrate much!!! Thanks again for all your input.

Julie Wright
11-05-2003, 9:41 PM
I have the ridgid 13" planer and al long as you remember to lock the cutter heads there is virtually no snipe. :D :)

Brad Hammond
11-05-2003, 10:15 PM
I have to vote for the dw733 as well. i've had it for over a year and i'd yet to let me down........very very little snipe

David Rose
11-05-2003, 10:47 PM
Joe, it is a behemoth, but it has some really nice features and I think the weight may be an asset in a planer. If I hadn't sprung for this Delta I would likely get the new Dewalt, though I do like the Delta. The Delta is right at that same weight. If I moved it much at all I would put it on a stand with wheels. If you don't have mats or something that makes rolling difficult, I would go for a movable stand rather than lift even the lighter ones. But I am lazy that way so... ;)

Have fun shopping! If you buy less than you think you want, you will likely wish you had waited.

David

Thanks a lot guys. After looking them over I think I might save a few more Lincoln's and get the new DeWalt. I guess I can borrow the use of one to get me through the holiday's....maybe Santa will come through for me this year! I'd really hate to rush into buying one and end up not liking it, or has a considerable amount of snipe. The only drawback to it is they say it weighs slightly less than a Buick. That could be a problem in my smaller shop, as I will surely be moving it around quite a bit. But, at just over 90 lbs. I don't think it will slide around or vibrate much!!! Thanks again for all your input.

Charles Wade
11-05-2003, 11:26 PM
I've had the Ridgid 13" TP1300, and it's done a fine job for me (hobbyist). I get occasional snipe on long pieces of hard wood (cherry) but can correct it by supporting wood at the exit end. It's relatively heavy, perhaps 80 to 100 lbs as I recall.

Joe Suelter
11-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Well David, that's exactly what I was thinking about all day yesterday. Why should I settle for less that I want/need. I don't have the luxury of purchasing new tools like this every year, so I want one that will serve me well for the next 5+ years. The idea of a mobile base for this beast is going to be implemented, just too much weight to be moving around every time I need it. I greatly appreciate all of the suggestions/comments...they have been very helpful.