PDA

View Full Version : More Impact Driver Questions

Steve Kohn
12-03-2006, 12:34 PM
I didn't want to hijack Louis' thread so I have another question.

I understand that the impact driver is great for driving screws and nuts onto bolts. However, how does it do at driving all kinds of drill bits? Bits like twist, spade, forstner, and brad point bits into both wood and metal.

Also, how does it do on backing screws out of various materials, especially wood. I build my deck about 15 years ago and screwed to deck boards on. I recently had to remove some of the boards, and ended up stripping out or breaking off the heads on most of the screws. Would the impact driver help on getting these screws out?

glenn bradley
12-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Not intended as a drill and not meant to replace one. Although Makita's new offering is getting close but, cha-ching!!!

http://www.toolup.com/productinfo.asp?pid={475840EC-F7C1-4FE6-B388-1AC6F2251706

Jim DeLaney
12-03-2006, 1:21 PM
I didn't want to hijack Louis' thread so I have another question.

I understand that the impact driver is great for driving screws and nuts onto bolts. However, how does it do at driving all kinds of drill bits? Bits like twist, spade, forstner, and brad point bits into both wood and metal.

Also, how does it do on backing screws out of various materials, especially wood. I build my deck about 15 years ago and screwed to deck boards on. I recently had to remove some of the boards, and ended up stripping out or breaking off the heads on most of the screws. Would the impact driver help on getting these screws out?

It'll drive small twist drill or brad point bits into wood okay, but will begin to 'ratchet' under the heavier load of larger bits, forstners, spades, etc., so it's not much good for them.

As for removing the deck screws, it'll do a great job of that. I took quite a few out of my fifteen year old deck last summer. It did break the heads off some of the badly rusted ones (just about any method of removal would), but backed the rest of them right out.

Steve Kohn
12-03-2006, 4:41 PM
Great info. and thanks. Now all I need is the money to afford one of these bad boys. Man, they are expensive!

patrick anderson
12-03-2006, 4:54 PM
I saw recon 12v hitachi's on ebay for $66 + shipping and a factory warranty