PDA

View Full Version : Brass Engraving job

Richard Butler
12-03-2006, 9:48 AM
I have a special engraving need and would appreciate some advise.

I would like to inlay a brass ruler in a wood workbench top but finding a suitable brass ruler is a bit tough and have exhausted google.

The ruler should be 3/8" wide by 1/8" thick by 6ft long but I could do two pieces 3 ft long each and butt them together. I suppose 1/2" wide would work as well.

I would prefer the numbers to be in Times Roman, not Courier like most rules.

Am I asking for too much? Any ideas where I can get such a critter made reasonably?

Joe Pelonio
12-03-2006, 6:21 PM
Someone with a large enough work area on their laser could use Cermark to engrave the rule in black, where to get the actual brass sould be a problem, and many like mine are only 2' wide. In that case any font could be used, but I'm not sure how much it would cost since that product is very expensive and it would take time to get the accuracy you need. You could have it engraved by someone with a rotary engraver and paint filled, talk to a trophy shop on that.

Guy Hilliard
12-03-2006, 8:50 PM
Or you could get three sections of 24" brass, paint it and laser the places where you want it marked, etch it with ferric chloride and then remove the paint. Voila etched brass rule using a standard 24" CO2 laser.

Keith Outten
12-03-2006, 8:55 PM
One of Members that owns a ShopBot CNC router could engrave the 6 foot long scale. Check the Engravers and CNC list for someone close to your neck of the woods.

Richard Butler
12-11-2006, 6:18 PM
One of Members that owns a ShopBot CNC router could engrave the 6 foot long scale. Check the Engravers and CNC list for someone close to your neck of the woods.

Well, I emailed everyone close to me and they all refused to respond to my emails.

I am willing to go down to 24" inch lengths for the ruler that I need. Is there anyone out there that would like to quote me on making a brass ruler?

Thanks

Keith Outten
12-11-2006, 7:41 PM
Richard,

Do you have a source for the brass?

Richard Butler
12-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Richard,

Do you have a source for the brass?

As a matter of fact I do. I am waiting for someone to say they can do it before I buy it. The brass strip I am getting comes in 72" lengths.

Gary Hair
12-12-2006, 1:56 AM
As a matter of fact I do. I am waiting for someone to say they can do it before I buy it. The brass strip I am getting comes in 72" lengths.

I would be happy to cermark and laser your ruler. I don't know where you are located but it would probably pay to have someone local do the job. If you can't find anyone I can do 38" at a time on my laser so cut your 72" piece in half and I can take care of it.

Let me know if you are interested.

Gary

Richard Butler
12-12-2006, 11:14 AM
I can send you a sample of what I want engraved. It is a 6" rule that I treasure highly, I live the the Dallas Texas area.

I really need to know what something like this would cost.

Gary Hair
12-12-2006, 3:22 PM
Richard,
If you can scan it and email me a picture I could give you a quote. If you have a small sample piece to test that would be great. Email me whatever info you have and I'll see what I can do.
Gary
ghairZ@nwlaserimageZ.com (remove the Z's)