PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is up with drywall prices?

Brian Elfert
12-03-2006, 9:32 AM
As part of my quest to sell my current house to move somewhere I can build a real shop I need to drywall my garage and two unfinished bedrooms.

Anyhow, when the heck did drywall prices go sky high? The least expensive 4x8 sheet of 1/2" at Menards was around $9. A year ago, the same sheet was around $6.

I had expected in Oct/Nov 2005 that prices would be high due to the hurricanes and was suprised they were still low. These days I would expect drywall to be less money since building is slowing so much. OSB and lumber prices are both down for this reason.

Brian Elfert

Jim Becker
12-03-2006, 9:55 AM
Now you can appreciate why my upcoming home addition project is costing more than the entire property cost in 1999...

Jeff Wright
12-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Why are drywall prices high? While standing in the checkout line at Menards, HD and Lowes, keep in mind the buyers you don't see standing in those lines are the buyers in China and other developing countries whose demand helps drive up our prices. The next twenty years is going to be a whole new ballgame - and it won't necessarily be baseball as you and I know it!

Mitchell Andrus
12-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Supply and demand. Prices are not just going up, they are being bid up.

Matt Meiser
12-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Don't worry, they will come back down after you buy what you need. That's what happened to me a few years ago when I finished my shop. 40 sheets of OSB at $19/sheet. Last I looked it was back down to about $13/sheet. Would have saved me some real money.

Lee DeRaud
12-03-2006, 1:07 PM
I got the impression (from watching a TOH episode that toured a drywall factory) that it is an energy-intensive manufacturing process, even more so than plywood/MDF/OSB (which can at least burn their scrap). I don't know how long the supply pipeline is, but you may be seeing the results of the high energy prices this past summer.

Mark Pruitt
12-03-2006, 1:13 PM
I guess someone in the drywall industry took a cue from the oil industry and figured what the heck, let's gouge 'em.

Brian Elfert
12-03-2006, 1:15 PM
I got the impression (from watching a TOH episode that toured a drywall factory) that it is an energy-intensive manufacturing process, even more so than plywood/MDF/OSB (which can at least burn their scrap). I don't know how long the supply pipeline is, but you may be seeing the results of the high energy prices this past summer.

One thing about drywall is it is heavy and I'm sure it costs a lot to haul. One huge gypsum mine and drywall factory is in Empire, Nevada northeast of Reno. The sheetrock has to hauled 60 miles just to get to the closest interstate.

I drive by the plant once a year and find it interesting that they stack the drywall outside uncovered for parts of the year. It rains so little during the dry season that is cheaper to recycle any that gets wet than to cover it.

I kinda figured drywall would have gone down in price like OSB since demand from builders is down. Several OSB plants here in Minnesota have shut down recently as they can't make any money.

Brian Elfert

Frank Hagan
12-03-2006, 2:19 PM
Don't worry, they will come back down after you buy what you need. That's what happened to me a few years ago when I finished my shop. 40 sheets of OSB at $19/sheet. Last I looked it was back down to about $13/sheet. Would have saved me some real money.

We should develop the "Matt and Frank Economic Indicator" for which prices are going to drop! All you have to do is look at my credit card bill. My wife tells me I have the old phrase backward ... "Its supposed to be buy LOW and sell HIGH, dear."

Dan Mages
12-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Its all supply and demand. Just look at copper wire. 12 gauge solid THHN is $61 a roll around here compared to $30ish 6 months ago.

Brian Elfert
12-04-2006, 5:16 PM
Its all supply and demand. Just look at copper wire. 12 gauge solid THHN is $61 a roll around here compared to $30ish 6 months ago.

Copper is a commodity and prices are through the roof so naturally wire prices are up. Copper purchased at retail six to nine months ago is now worth more as scrap than it was purchased for! Wiring my unfinished space is going to hurt if I don't have enough wire on hand.

I wonder if gypsum is sold on the commodities market? That could explain the current pricing of drywall.

Brian

Billy Chambless
12-04-2006, 9:30 PM
Demand has been way up in the areas affected by Katrina -- which is a huge area. Much of the MS coast was under water, which means the drywall ain't dry no more. :(

Brian Elfert
12-24-2006, 12:30 PM
I was at Menards on Saturday and prices on drywall have dropped at least 25% in the last few weeks.

Great news as it will save me at least $250.

Brian Elfert

JayStPeter
12-24-2006, 1:02 PM
Well, that might be good for me too!

But, I'd call the thread "What's up with drywall contractors?"

I can't find a drywall contractor that will actually give me an estimate. My impression from talking to other tradesmen in the area is that they are not super busy like a couple years ago. But, I scheduled an appt. with one drywaller who stood me up. A number of others haven't returned my calls. Sheesh, my bad shoulder isn't really up for doin' the drywall. It was bad enough doing the framing. All they really have to do is show up and they got the job.

Brian Elfert
12-24-2006, 2:04 PM
Well, that might be good for me too!

But, I'd call the thread "What's up with drywall contractors?"

I can't find a drywall contractor that will actually give me an estimate. My impression from talking to other tradesmen in the area is that they are not super busy like a couple years ago. But, I scheduled an appt. with one drywaller who stood me up. A number of others haven't returned my calls. Sheesh, my bad shoulder isn't really up for doin' the drywall. It was bad enough doing the framing. All they really have to do is show up and they got the job.

I got a quote from a drywall contractor with no problem, but the cost was $7,000 for a 480 square foot addition and the garage ceiling below! I figured the drywall itself at around $1000 with delivery.

The house was built in 2001 and drywall labor was $3,800 for the entire 1,400 square foot house back then. (Materials not included.) Why the heck is the price for labor at least double now?

I got another guy to come out Friday evening and he should have a price to me next week. (Yes, he came when scheduled.)

Brian Elfert

Robert Mickley
12-24-2006, 2:07 PM
All they really have to do is show up and they got the job.

Maybe I should start drywalling!! :D NOT!!

Actually I was in HD yesterday and some plywoods where cheapr than OSB :rolleyes: go figure.

Christopher Pine
12-24-2006, 2:14 PM
I noticed the drywall gauge going on. I am nto needing any but this is ridiculous. What has happened to moderate price increases? have no problem with things increasing year to year but this stuff fluctuating 20 to 60% depending on what we are talking about is crazy!

Chris

JayStPeter
12-24-2006, 2:21 PM
I got a quote from a drywall contractor with no problem, but the cost was $7,000 for a 480 square foot addition and the garage ceiling below! I figured the drywall itself at around $1000 with delivery.

The house was built in 2001 and drywall labor was $3,800 for the entire 1,400 square foot house back then. (Materials not included.) Why the heck is the price for labor at least double now?

I got another guy to come out Friday evening and he should have a price to me next week. (Yes, he came when scheduled.)

Brian Elfert

OK, maybe showing up isn't all they have to do :eek: . Last time I hired a guy he gave me a quote over the phone of $55 per 12' sheet. I did some rough calculations, added 10% and was able to determine cost pretty accurately. That was a couple years ago. If I can get somewhere in the vicinity of that again it'll be fine since I used $65 for estimation purposes. More than $75 and I'll probably wind up doing it myself.
This time that guy isn't working in the area. So, I'm using the phone book. :rolleyes: The one referral from a friend I had is the guy who called back, but no showed.
I'm hoping it's all related to being the weeks before Christmas and I'll get better results in the next couple weeks. Problem is, I'll probably be ready for 'em by Wed.