PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman carving machine?

Craig Zettle
12-03-2006, 8:40 AM
I saw this in the latest Craftsman club flyer and was wondering if this thing is worth the money (1799.99 with club discount). Says it will carve, cut, contour joint and route wood, and accomodates workpieces up to 14.5" wide and 5" high. Says it will reproduce complex patterns accurately with CompuCarve's CAD technology. The pictures of carved panels look pretty detailed, at least to my eye, as I have no experience with this kind of detail work.
Anyone else checked in to this thing?

Jack Ferrell
12-03-2006, 9:11 AM
Craig, I didn't even know Sears had that machine. If you haven't seen them yet, there are 3 reviews on Sears web site http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Bench+Power+Tools&pid=00921754000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Jointers%2C+Planers+%26+Shapers&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Craig Zettle
12-03-2006, 9:24 AM
Thanks for the link Jack, the one bad review does not really address the fact that this thing is a carving machine, not a gang rip saw. Man alive, you would have to be an idiot not to know for 2K you are not getting a CNC laser engraver. I also realize that your "support crew" does not exist. The person that sells you the machine might get transferred to small appliances tomorrow.

Lee DeRaud
12-03-2006, 9:37 AM
It's the CarveWright with a Craftsman label slapped on. Search on "carvewright" and/or "carveright" here and you'll find out more than you want to know.