PDA

View Full Version : Back in Business

John Hart
12-02-2006, 9:24 PM
I was supposed to spend the day running heating ducts...but since I really didn't want to run heating ducts...I decided that today is the day that I get the lathe back on line. First, I had to build a bench and that's what this thread is all about. A bunch of Flatwork!!!:rolleyes:

I warn you ahead of time...this is not "pretty" flatwork...It is "Functional" flatwork.;)

First...I had to find some big boards. Here's some OSB. I cut it on a machine called a table saw....then layed it on the floor.

Next...I found some other boards, called 2-by-4s. Some of the flatworkers will abbreviate this board by simply typing 2X4. Others will just call them 2-Bys. This can be really confusing because you can't really be sure that they are 3 1/2" wide unless you specify the number 4.:confused:

I flipped the big flat thing over and screwed a whole box of screws into it. I figured the extra weight would help.;)

Since it was too short...I decide to put it on stilts. I used more "2-bys" for that!

It was too wobbly! So I added some reinforcement with a whole box of screws for more weight.

cont....

John Hart
12-02-2006, 9:38 PM
So....now, at this point, I sort of have a bench. It's really ugly.

Here's a pretty girl holding a black dog.

Since the bench was too ugly...I found some large flat stuff called "plywood". They call it plywood because it's pliable.;) This plywood is made of oak and I laid it on the bench after cutting it with the aforementioned table saw. It was all crinkled so I poured a whole bottle of glue on the bench and nailed a whole box of nails into it for added weight.

Next...and here's the hard part.....Using the table saw, I cut the 2X4s into a sort of "L" shape and made another flatworking item called "Moulding"...not to be confused with molding...which often happens to turning blanks with they sit under tarps. Anyway...I used the moulding to cover up all my mistakes.:)

Next...I decided to use another box of screws (big ones) to screw the bench to the wall. This will ensure that robbers won't take it.;) Then I put some unused equipment on it.

cont....

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2006, 9:42 PM
Hey John looks like you are on the road back. It is really good to see you posting and see your shop starting to take shape. Can't wait to see some turnings. Looking good.

John Hart
12-02-2006, 9:42 PM
Here's another view

And once I got all that awful flatwork out of the way....I found some "real" wood and made it go round and round.:)

But I was too tired to finish it because I spent all day on my knees screwing boxes of screws into 2 by 4s:mad:

So....the moral is....Don't do flatwork. It's tiring and stops you from turning. Thanks for listening.:)

Kenneth Hertzog
12-02-2006, 9:46 PM
John
Great to see pictures and have you back on the forum
hope you have happy turnings during the holidays
ken

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2006, 9:53 PM
John "Horsey" Hart! After being away for such a long time and WORKING it's good to see you WORKING so that you can play again! If you'd like , I'd be glad to call and ask Misses Hart......"Can Johnny come out and play?" Nice quick bench John. Did you have to re-halter break that lathe? Did it buck when you saddled it?

Bill Boehme
12-02-2006, 10:08 PM
This "tablesaw" thing that you mention -- I presume that it must be used to saw tables -- seems like a rather limited use machine.

And I know about bench thieves --I have taken extra precautions by weighting it down with stuff until the top surface can't be seen in hopes that the thieves will leave it alone. So far, the strategy has worked, but the drawback is that they get back at me by hiding things in my shop so that I have to spend lots of time searching for them.

Bill

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the flat-work tutorial. One question for you however, as a flat-work artist, did you intentionally design your bench in the shape of an 'L' because it was for your 'lathe'? What shape table is your tablesaw on? Just wondering how the mind of an artist works.

Jim Becker
12-02-2006, 10:13 PM
LOL! That was great, John! So this was like a flat 'n round story, eh?? :D ('Glad you're back in the saddle again...)

Corey Hallagan
12-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Your looking good John! If I remember right, that place would still look like a bowling alley, only with a bench in the corner now :)

Corey

Andy Hoyt
12-02-2006, 10:33 PM
But will the Ugly Stick still respect you after all this time?

And did you guys see the rust on them ways? The even coloration, the deep rich earth tone.

By the great jumpin jehosaphats! It looks intentional!

Mark Pruitt
12-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Yup...that flatwork will flat out do you in. Glad you got it done in a day!;)

David Fried
12-02-2006, 10:43 PM
John,

I think you lost me on the 3 1/2 = 4. This must be for really large values of 3 1/2. Perhaps if we stare into the spinning wood we will find enlightment.

Welcome home.

Gary DeWitt
12-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Glad to see you back on the lathe, John! Seems most of us take a couple steps forward and one back. Every time I go to do something new, seems I have to build or make something else first to get it done.
So, the only way you could get that bench solid was to screw it to the wall, eh? heh heh heh...:D

Rich Stewart
12-03-2006, 1:36 AM
Sure is good to see you back on John. You think your's is ugly, you should see mine. I got moulding to cover my mistakes too. Then more moulding to cover the mistakes on the moulding. And on and on. After a while I was too far from the lathe so I had to take some of the moulding off and just live with the boo boos. Now go get some steel wool and make something.

John Hart
12-03-2006, 6:50 AM
....Did you have to re-halter break that lathe? Did it buck when you saddled it?

Smooth as a baby's behind...it was just like ridin' a bike...only without the handlebars...and peddles....and seat...and chain that keeps falling off.;)

This "tablesaw" thing that you mention -- I presume that it must be used to saw tables -- seems like a rather limited use machine....

Got that right Bill. But then, flatlanders have lots of limited use machines. They have a thing called a "Jigsaw" that is only used for cutting Jigs. Now...I've been fishing all my life, and I've never had to cut a jig. What's up with that?!!!:confused:

Thanks for the flat-work tutorial. One question for you however, as a flat-work artist, did you intentionally design your bench in the shape of an 'L' because it was for your 'lathe'? What shape table is your tablesaw on? Just wondering how the mind of an artist works.

Very intuitive Steve....You get a cookie!!:) Although, as an artist, I'm hesitant to reveal the workings of my mind. I think you should thank me for that.:o

LOL! That was great, John! So this was like a flat 'n round story, eh??.....

Yes it twas....The story had a little of everything...setup...drama...disgust..anger....and a little comedy relief. But in the end, a happy ending.:)

Your looking good John! If I remember right, that place would still look like a bowling alley, only with a bench in the corner now...

I wish. As you recall...I cleaned up the shop and took some pics. That lasted exactly 4 hours. Then I proceeded to move all my woodworking stuff in there. It now looks like a bowling alley with mountains of boxes and bags and tools and wire....all nicely covered with an even coating of 2X4 sawdust.:D

But will the Ugly Stick still respect you after all this time?

And did you guys see the rust on them ways? The even coloration, the deep rich earth tone.

By the great jumpin jehosaphats! It looks intentional!

You'll be pleased to know that I used the Ugly Stick right out of the gate. Bertha got jealous....but really....who cares?:D And, on that rust thing....sheesh! What a heartbreaker. I had the lathe stored in a room that had a leak....and I didn't know it for 2 months. The good part is, it came right off. But you're right.....it was a perfect, even coating of rust.....and a beautiful color!!! I was tempted to coat it with some spray laquer (hic):o .

....So, the only way you could get that bench solid was to screw it to the wall, eh? heh heh heh...

In my own defense, I used enough screws that the bench leveled the concrete.:D But....screwing it to the wall sure made it stable. I intentionally mounted that hunk of wood off-center and cranked her up. Not a vibration. Pure heaven. In my old shop....My neighbors complained that I was rattling their satelite dishes.:o

Thanks everyone. It's good to be back.

Glenn Clabo
12-03-2006, 6:58 AM
After all that work...and fine and functional woodworking it is btw...the best part of all this is the picture of the pretty lady and the Squirt.:D

John Hart
12-03-2006, 7:02 AM
After all that work...and fine and functional woodworking it is btw...the best part of all this is the picture of the pretty lady and the Squirt.:D

Oh, I agree!!! Both are growing up quite beautifully! :) Squirt has really become part of the family...very quickly. And she likes to chew on cats!:D

Glenn Clabo
12-03-2006, 7:47 AM
Oh, I agree!!! Both are growing up quite beautifully! :) Squirt has really become part of the family...very quickly. And she likes to chew on cats!:D

I like her even more now...(sorry cat lovers:o)

Blake McCully
12-03-2006, 8:01 AM
Hey John,
Just like everybody else, glad to see you're back. Missed you great wit and even greater turnings. Just waiting to see more.

John Hart
12-03-2006, 8:23 AM
Well I just went out to the shop....It's 27 degrees out there.:eek: Put a bunch of wood in the wood burner and fired her up. I figure another hour of coffee and SMC, and it oughta be ready for a little fun. Expecting a snow storm around noon and the lathe is set up in front of two windows with a great view. I'm going to be in a winter wonderland...turning a bowl near the crackling fire. I am so tickled!!!!:D

Karl Laustrup
12-03-2006, 8:24 AM
Let me see if I got all this straight. :confused: You built an L bench cause you're putting a Lathe on it. That is a mighty fine bench John. However, I see that you have a Grinder on that L bench. I think you should be making a G bench next, as anyone knows you can't keep a G on an L. :D

Please let me know how many more specific use benches you are going to build, as I might want to go into the wood screw business. Or at least buy stock in a company that makes them. :D

On another note, if you attach the L bench to the wall and mount up a particularly off center chunk o wood on the Lathe, wouldn't the resulting shaking loosen all them nails holding the shop together? :eek: Maybe you should replace them with screws? :confused: :D [Even more reason to buy stock in a company that makes screws.]

Waiting anxiously for the next bench.:D

Karl

Ernie Nyvall
12-03-2006, 8:58 AM
John, I think you lost me on the 3 1/2 = 4.

David, I have he answer to that one... it's that flatlanders work in tolerances of +/- 1/2". I built something flat once and that seems to be the case... extra long screws help make up the difference.;)

Glad to see you back on the lathe John. That's a nice looking work station.

Mark Pruitt
12-03-2006, 9:08 AM
Expecting a snow storm around noon and the lathe is set up in front of two windows with a great view. I'm going to be in a winter wonderland...
Well, there ya go! Turn a snowman just for kicks!:D :D :D

John Miliunas
12-03-2006, 9:09 AM
Awright!!! ENOUGH AWREADY!!! :eek: I'm sorry but, as a bona-fide Mod on this here forum, I feel the need to interject: I thought we had clearly defined that the use of "flatwork" on this particular forum is akin to swearing! :eek: Now, cease and desist from such terminology or I will need to flex my Moderator muscle and start "poofing" posts! I'd really, really hate to do that! :( Sheeesh, I'm tempted to move this thread over to "General Woodworking" accept I fear that Ken would then get upset over the spinny thing sitting there and get all over me for it. :( Now, let's keep this clean, guys and NOT let it happen again, you hear?! :D

Hey, nice flatwork on getting your spinny thing setup, John! :D (Ooooops!:o ) Guess I just made myself "poof-able", didn't I?:o :D :cool:

Mark Pruitt
12-03-2006, 9:13 AM
POOF!

...hey, where did John M. go???:p

John Miliunas
12-03-2006, 9:22 AM
POOF!

OMG!!! Mark, what did you do with my head??? :eek: Dang it, good thing I know how to touch-type! :D :cool:

Mark Pruitt
12-03-2006, 9:28 AM
I don't even know what I did with MY head. I think I accidentally turned a hollow form from it!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ron Journeau
12-03-2006, 9:32 AM
Glad to see you up and running...wish I was...too durn cold to turn in shed...hope spring comes early...sigh

John Miliunas
12-03-2006, 9:41 AM
I don't even know what I did with MY head. I think I accidentally turned a hollow form from it!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Whew! Good thinking, Mark! I fumbled my way over to the Vega and found a spare I was working on! :D Now I just need to stay away from mirrors! :eek: :D :cool:

Earl Reid
12-03-2006, 9:56 AM
Nice going, John. Glad to see you back. Good luck in Middlefield and Have a good winter:)
Hope you have a good snow blower for that long drive.

Earl

Ed Scolforo
12-03-2006, 10:33 AM
John, as others have said, it's good to see you back. Thanks for the entertaining story. Is it Spring yet?
Ed

Tom Sherman
12-03-2006, 8:38 PM
Nice bench John nothing like having a good solid mount for the ole spinny thing. I just had to anchor my lathe to the bench this weekend, got to turning an off center piece and had to chase the darned thing across the bench. Didn't have any bolts or screws handy but I did have a couple of straps with them ratchets worked fine till I get me some bolts. Good to see some chips flying from your shopl.

Dave Ray
12-03-2006, 9:29 PM
Welcome home John, and thanks for the fun read

Dennis Peacock
12-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Congrats John, but where's that pretty girls new "horsey" that should be in the pic? :p :D

John Hart
12-04-2006, 8:45 AM
POOF!

Poof!! Here's a hat for ya!!!

Mark Pruitt
12-04-2006, 9:57 AM
Poof!! Here's a hat for ya!!!
Wow! I'm in season! (But don't shoot!!!):p