PDA

View Full Version : First Meaningful Turnings

Alex Cam
12-02-2006, 9:15 PM
Here we go (sorry for the picture quality -- I'll get a photo tent soon).

I picked up a cigar pen kit on Friday, hacked off a piece of birds-eye maple that I had sitting around, and took my first step into pen turning. Not perfect, but I have to admit that I'm grudgingly satisfied with my first pen! Sanded to 600 grit, then with a brown paper bag, and finished with Shellawax.

Next, I rounded off a big piece of maple and rough-turned it into a sort of wide-bottomed "bowl" -- 4.5" x 8.5". I'll let it dry and finish it off in a few months.

Some notes:
I'm working in a 'borrowed' shop -- I have nothing of my own yet. He only has a 6" faceplate, so anything I turn right now has a 6" base or foot by default. I'm still playing around with what type of setup I want to buy (lathe, chucks, tools, and so on..)

What I learned:
1. The 10" and 12" swings I've been obsessing over in mini's are ridiculously large for a new turner, and should be about the last thing on my mind. That 9+" hunk spinning around in an old Jet lathe was enough to make my knees knock. A 10" or 12" Rikon or Jet Mini should keep me happily turning bowls, HFs, and pens for at least a year.

2. Also, I learned to watch my outside hand when hollowing bowls out. I got a little 'friction polish' of my own when I pushed the side of my hand into the side of the bowl! Ouch!

3. Squaring off the ends of the pen blanks is tough on a belt sander, and critical to having a nice, clean fit at final assembly. Any suggestions? Are those "squaring off" kits that WoodCraft sells any good? Seems like it's be worth the $30 if they were accurate and fast.

4. Even though I'm using old, old, abused tools, it made a huuuge difference when I would give them a quick run on the grinder (even if it was free-hand). I think that getting gouges without getting a grinder and a sharpening system at the same time would be worthless.

5. Finally, the only thing I've worked from so far is Bill Grumbine's video. My hat is off to Bill for putting out a high quality product.

Christopher Hunter
12-02-2006, 9:33 PM
Great job for your first!!!!!
I think most of us have run into the same problems you encountered...
there is a learning curve even on sanding>>>;)
but sounds like you are on the right track...
on the grinder/
I started out without a jig and now I am very comfortable without one so to me that would have been money well spent in the beginning but now I would have no use for it ...
get the good wheels --they are worth it ..
on the pen squaring tool--- the barrel trimmer, I just got into pens myself and didn't see the need for one, but now that I have turned 30 pens --- it sounds to be worth it to me...
Keep it up ... it gets addicting,,,
and always have fun with it, even if you have a few pitfalls along the way...
--Chris

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2006, 9:39 PM
Good for you Alex. Great first projects. I think you are right a Rikon which I have or a Jet would be a good starter.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2006, 9:47 PM
Alex..........Welcome to the vortex! Nice first pen! Don't be too hard on yourself at first. There's as much art as science in this spinny thing. Besure to post a photo of the bowl when it's finished.

Bill's videos are, indeed, very good! I'm going to get his 2nd one shortly. If you get a chance get some of Richard Raffan's videos and a book that I'd recommend is "Woodturning- A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. Bill's 1st video is great for learning to turn a green bowl or a dry bowl. Rowley goes through some pretty good spindle turning and endgrain box turning. Keith Rowley's book covers it all and as Bill says in his video you don't "have to hit "the rewind button".

I've been turning about 10 months now and am a spin crack addict! I really like my Wolverine jig. It takes the guess work out of sharpening. A dull tool can be absolutely no fun.

Welcome to the spinny side!

Gary DeWitt
12-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Welcome aboard! Those are respectable examples of first turnings. Your accuracy on squaring off pen blanks depends a lot on your setup, you definitely need something to hold the blank exactly 90 degrees to the sander, belt or disc. Since you will sometimes be turning from a rough blank, it's better if the jig you use references off the hole you drilled, or better off the tube you put in the blank.
You're absolutely right about sharpening, it's critical to good turning, and especially to learning to turn.
Regarding face plates, you DO have another option, which is to screw a 6" (or bigger) piece of wood, cross grain to the plate, turn it round, turn it's face flat, and then glue whatever wood you are going to turn to it. Your blank could be any size, long as it has a smooth, flat surface to glue to. You can use CA (super glue), epoxy, or just wood glue, if you can wait overnight to turn.
Have fun, good luck, and post more pics, we love 'em!

Robert McGowen
12-03-2006, 1:31 AM
I use a barrel trimmer that I found at Woodcraft and they are very easy to use. The only drawback is that you might need more than one depending on which size pen kits you are using. I put mine in a drill press and it takes about a second to square it up. Good luck!

John Hart
12-03-2006, 7:19 AM
....2. Also, I learned to watch my outside hand when hollowing bowls out. I got a little 'friction polish' of my own when I pushed the side of my hand into the side of the bowl! Ouch!

All I can say is....Don't ever lose respect for that spinning object in front of you. You will eventually be working with pieces of wood that can take your fingers right off.....In a microsecond.

Way to go Alex...You're making all the right observations.;) :)

Bob Noles
12-03-2006, 9:51 AM
Alex,

Some great "firsts" you have shared with us. There is no way I am going to show you my first pen after seeing yours :eek:

You are off to a good start and will enjoy the learning curve. Good thinking on the safety first issues also.

I believe the mini/midi range of 10-12 inch swing is all most of us really need when you come right down to it. Most except maybe Andy or Bill G anyhow. :rolleyes: :D