PDA

View Full Version : Vector fairy clipart?

Shaddy Dedmore
12-02-2006, 2:42 PM
I'm making some stuff for my niece for xmas, and want to cut a fairy pic into it. One thing I have in mind is a shelf set, and I want to vector cut the sides so you can see what's on the shelf from the side. So my shadow box design wouldn't work here as well.

I ordered some patterens from wildwood designs (I'll have to scan and vectorize), but I'd like to start sooner. Anyone have a pattern?

Thanks
Shaddy

George M. Perzel
12-02-2006, 3:14 PM
Hi Shaddy;
Don't know if this will help-its a cdr file for a corner scroll shelf.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

George M. Perzel
12-02-2006, 3:19 PM
Hi Shaddy;
Here's acdr file fairy-not that great but maybe you can use parts of it.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Shaddy Dedmore
12-02-2006, 4:39 PM
Thanks for the designs George, the corner shelf I can use elsewhere. But for this particualr shelf, she's got 4 dolls so far (base of 4"x4", and 7" tall) and needs room to grow. More like a curio shelf.

The fairy is a little to cartoony, (man there's a lot of cartoony clipart out there, it's usually all i find when i search).

But thanks for the ideas and help.

Shaddy

Linda Tetreault
12-02-2006, 7:56 PM
Shaddy,

Berrybasket has some great shelving units, they're slotted on the side to accept shelves, I've done some for my nieces that look like holly hobby on the sides. I cut them out of 1/4" wood (not sure what kind of wood, it was recycled from pallets) & they're sturdy enough for some book & a couple of pictures.

Linda:)

Keith Outten
12-02-2006, 9:04 PM
Shaddy,

Visit this link, Vector Art has shelf brackets and you can purchase them individually.

http://www.vectorart.com/store/index.cfm/Mega_Collection-Prefabricated_Accents_Elements.htm

Shaddy Dedmore
12-02-2006, 9:41 PM
Thanks for your pointers.

I have the shelf already planned out, I'm just looking for the fairy clipart. It's a close design to the curio's from berry basket. I haven't decided if I'm going to laser it all or do it with woodworking tools and just laser the fairy side. (sometimes I have to do multiple redo's with 1/4" birch because it doesn't cut all the way through in spots.)

Thanks again.
Shaddy

Kurt Sallaz
12-04-2006, 3:29 PM
Hi Shaddy,

Try Dover Publications. http://http://www.doverpublications.com/designsampler/1122/art2.htm

At the site above is some samples that you can download or you can order their books that come with a cd of images. They cost around $16.00.

Shaddy Dedmore
12-17-2006, 1:01 AM
Here's the final result.

I've been getting the Dover samples in the email for over a year now (bought one book a while ago) then took kurts idea and looked for some art from them.

Here it is, 22" wide, around 14" tall

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/ShelfFairy%20001.jpg

Bill Cunningham
12-17-2006, 9:53 PM
Hey That looks great!! My grandaughters might like those..
Can you post the entire vector file for cutting it out etc..
.cdr12 or less?

I'm sure others would like it as well..

Shaddy Dedmore
12-19-2006, 8:50 PM
Here's the design in Ver 9 (http://www.shaddysengraving.com/laser/ShelfFairy.cdr), it's slightly altered from the first one. I created a spot for a name on the top front. Also there's some scroll work so it's easier to mount now.

I used 1/4" birch ply. For those working with 1/4" stuff, you should invest in a "pin nailer". It's a little nail gun, great for reinforcing and for holding pieces in place while the glue dries. (and if you use enough and at slight angles, you don't need glue on some things).

The clipart fairy is from Dovers 150 Silhouette Designs, please think about buying one yourself if you use the clipart I left in the CDR. it's only 15 bucks and the images vectorize well.

I'd like to see pics if you use my design. Oh, and it's a little long, you might want to take a few inches off, but I had to make it that long to fit all her figurines on it.

Thanks for looking
Shaddy

Carol VanArnam
12-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Shaddy-

that is an awesome shelf. i like the changes you made from your first one. the scroll work looks great. i'm new to the smc so i've been reading a lot of the postings. what i can't figure out is how all of you folks can make these patterns. how do you make the curve vector lines and the scroll stuff? i'm great at making square stuff in corel 12 but like the tongue and grove (interlocking fingures) how do you draw those?

(ps- I'm from Wenatchee WA so if you ever get up this way let me know we can swap laser stories..... i was just down in vancouver at the huge 3 day christmas bazar there in portland. there were 2 laser companies there selling stuff. i was just looking and learning...)

do you buy your wood at cross cut out of portland.

Shaddy Dedmore
12-19-2006, 11:47 PM
The scrolly stuff I added was edited from a larger clipart, I just edited out some stuff so it looked a little better, I didn't make the fretwork from scratch, sorry for the confusion. I just made the shelf plan itself, then added the images and the fretwork from clipart.

You can do your own scrolls using some of the regular tools, though. Just remember to just work on one corner, then mirror and weld so you're sure to make things symmetrical. Try playing with a line (the center line of the scroll path) then the Artistic Media docker. (and CTRL-K breaks the line from the outline).

I go to Wennatche every couple years for my "other" job. (To the Substation near the park on the north end of town), I calibrate BPA's electronic test equipment. It's nice there. I also was just at Leavenworth for the Salmon Festival, and we went to the mall at Cashmere.

Shaddy

(Edited picture so it's the newest design)