PDA

View Full Version : Review: New version of Laguna LT20. Compaired to HD16 and China machines

Cameron Reddy
12-02-2006, 2:02 PM
Just got an education on bandsaws.

Spent the good part of an afternoon studying the Laguna 16HD and a brand-new version of the Laguna LT20 that is a substantially beefed up (made in Bulgaria) version of their Italian LT20. I couldn't compare it directly with the Italian LT20, but construction differences between the Bulgarian LT20 and the Italian HD16 were clear.

First, the table on the Bulgarian machine is near 50% thicker cast iron than that on the HD16. Plus, it has a beefy, double cast iron trunnions, compared to a much lighter single trunnion on the HD16.

Second, the bearings for the LT20 wheels are HUGE! I didn't measure, but I'd say they were twice the size as on the HD16. Oh, and the wheels seemed to be cast then machined. Very impressive looking. Turned on, we got a penny to balance on the table for a moment. I didn't have a nickel.

Third, the upper-wheel tension system is gigantic! Two monster steel posts and lots of very thick cast iron. Again, easily double the mass of the HD16, which itself is a double cast iron unit of considerable substance.

Here is a cool feature: the lower blade guides do not need to be adjusted when you tilt (via a wheel) the table. To accomplish this little feat of engineering they had to raise the table a couple of inches, and so the resaw height is nipped from 20 to 16 inches, but it is very cool. The table is also much easier to tilt to the right, a-la flipping down (not slowly turning) bolt that otherwise sets the table at 90 degrees to the blade.

Finally, the Bulgarian beast is a full 350 kilograms (771 pounds) without the MONSTER 6 hp Baldor motor sticking out the back! Folks, that appears to be a tad heavier (when you count the motor) than the heretofore weight champion MM20. In any event, it's nose to nose, weight wise.

Only two items that I noticed (with the help of the salesman) were indicative of its serial number, which was 0001. One is the dust shroud--that gets in the way of freely turning the tri-spoked handle that tightens the table at the front trunnion (The rear trunnion is tightened the same way, with another tri-spoked handle, but there is no clearance issue). The second is the blade guide column wants to drop when loosened. The HD16, in contrast, stays where it's at when loosened, and waits for you to move it up or down via the handle. These are trifles, however, on an otherwise impressively designed and built machine. Torben is clearly working hard in his little design room.

So, combine all this with the very cool Driftmaster fence, that worked just as advertised and allows very consistent and minute adjustment of the fence, and it seems to me that you have a very capable bandsaw.

There was only one problem that I could see with the Driftmaster fence (aside from the fact that it wasn't aligned properly on the table and so it tended to bind and get harder to slide as you moved it closer to the spine of the saw). There is a little white, plastic screw that is used to adjust the table-extension portion of the fence to be level with the table. That screw pushes against, and slides along, the underside edge of the rim of the table. Well, go look at the underside edge of any table... of course its just rough cast with a paint job over it. It's not machined level, or smooth, and so it's not a good, stable, surface against which this little screw can press and slide. Further, it's plastic! On an over 800 pound monster? Obviously, it should, and likely will be in later production runs, a steel screw with a bearing on top that rolls along a machined underside edge of the table. But, note this. That rough underside edge is easily thick enough to act as a beefy surface for a good sized bearing. As I said earlier, this is one thick, heavy, table.

So, as I was more than late to meet my wife at an after work party, I took a quick peek at the new Jet 18X and the Steel City 18... They were laughable. Thin, widely spoked wheels that clearly had but a fraction of the mass of the Laguna wheels. Paper-thin, by comparison, tables with hardly more than nubs as underside ribbing. Puny trunnions. And here is the real kicker. The tension systems were laughably wimpy in comparison with the Lagunas. Thin sheet metal stampings. Toy-like springs. There is simply no way those saws could come even close to the tension that could be applied to a blade by the Lagunas. Reminded me of the old phrase "Made in Japan" when that meant the stuff was junk. Otherwise, for you younger folks, the difference was akin to a F350 and a Hyundai.

Cameron Reddy
12-02-2006, 8:56 PM
Hmm... same reaction as WoodNet. 95 views and no comments.

Anyone?

John Fry
12-02-2006, 9:17 PM
Cameron,

Where is Laguna's new LT24 X 24 made? I think that is where I'm going next. I have had great luck with the 16HD (and power feeder) purchased in 2002 but I want to go bigger.

Cameron Reddy
12-02-2006, 9:37 PM
The LT24 is made in Italy. Same manufacturer as the 16HD on up, except for this new LT20. They still sell the Italian LT20, which has 20" of resaw but is much lighter in weight than the new Bulgarian LT 20.

Greg Peterson
12-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Sounds like a really great saw.

Outta my league by a long shot, but still, sounds like a great saw.

lou sansone
12-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Hmm... same reaction as WoodNet. 95 views and no comments.

Anyone?

hi cameron
not sure what exactly you are looking for in terms of comments. I have owned several band saws, including a laguna 24" and it was a fine machine. I currently own a 36" band saw that weighs in ~ 3000 lbs. For me these are the ultimate saw ( except for the 42" saws, but they require a small pit for the lower tire ). Personally I don't like any of the welded steel frame bandsaws ( they just look plain ugly IMHO ) and really prefer the stylish 36" all cast iron machines with modern high speed carter wheels. In the case of modern welded steel frame bandsaws, Laguna, agazzani, and centuro (mini-max ) make really very good machines. My advise in terms of modern bandsaws is to go big and heavy.

lou

Greg Peterson
12-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Whew, now I really feel outta place in this thread. I'm still trying to build my shop and acquire some basic machines. I'm gonna paddle back to the shallow end and clean out my face mask and check the air in my inner tube. Maybe jump poolside and slurp away on a soda or something.

Cameron Reddy
12-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Whew, now I really feel outta place in this thread. I'm still trying to build my shop and acquire some basic machines. I'm gonna paddle back to the shallow end and clean out my face mask and check the air in my inner tube. Maybe jump poolside and slurp away on a soda or something.

Yes! Excellent! We in the 800 lb club and the 3000 lb club don't talk to owners of wimpy machines! :)

(Just kidding, of course. I don't even own a bandsaw... yet).

Jake Helmboldt
12-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Can you do such a saw justice? If I had money to burn I could easily spend $20k on tools, but would they serve me any better than if I spend $5k? Probably not. Besides, I'm trying to home my hand-tool skills and become a more complete woodworker. For centuries craftsmen have been producing exemplary pieces without high-dollar machinery with lots of bells and whistles.

And I would say the analogy is a bit off. Hyundai would be a Harbor Freight 14". I think the current Taiwan/China products are more akin to a Toyota if you are gonna compare to a Ferrari.

My 2 cents.

Doug Shepard
12-03-2006, 2:42 PM
OK - It slices. It dices. But can it do Jullienne Fries?:D

Seriously - I was curious about the Driftmaster fence. I read a mag review this month that sounded like they were also selling this as a retrofit/upgrade item for other makes of bandsaws. Based on your comments above, it sounds like it might need a BS with a certain thickness casting edge to function correctly? I'm assuming you saw this at the Novi WW show and that you didn't actually get a chance to put the saw through it's paces and see any changes resulting from adjusting the fence drift in/out of optimal? Just curious.

lou sansone
12-03-2006, 2:46 PM
Yes! Excellent! We in the 800 lb club and the 3000 lb club don't talk to owners of wimpy machines! :)

(Just kidding, of course. I don't even own a bandsaw... yet).

hey guys.. I hope you did not take my comments as condescending. they were not meant in that fashion. I wanted to open up the conversation to other possibilities when it comes to bandsaws. Obviously, these 3000 lb monsters are not for everyone. In fact they are not really suitable for any basement shop ( unless you have 10 foot ceilings and some way to get it into the basement ). But some, who have separate shop buildings may have that type of room. As far as $$ go for these large bandsaws, they can often be had for around the cost of a MM or Laguna 16 to 20 inch saw on the used market. I am not interested in spending 20k on a piece of equipment either, and don't really plan in it in the near future. I have a lot of industrial equipment. Some of it ancient and some brand new. The cast iron bandsaw, vintage 1940 and onward, is one tool that I don't think technology has by-passed.

lou

Cameron Reddy
12-03-2006, 7:15 PM
hey guys.. I hope you did not take my comments as condescending. ...
lou

Not me. I didn't see even a hint of condensention in your post. You ought to check out the responses to my review on WoodNet. Some hostile folks over there.

Doug, No. I didn't do any sawing with it. I did play around with the fence quite a bit though. Except for that plastic bolt that my wife said was delrin sliding on the underside of the table edge, it seems to me to be a very clever and usefull device.

richard poitras
12-04-2006, 4:59 PM
Doug you asked about the Driftmaster Fence I saw the fence at the show it was a pretty nice fence, but I all so looked at the kreg fence at the show, my take was this… is you have one of the larger saws and if it has the thicker top as stated by the sales man it can be put on any saw. In looking at some of there advertisement in the magazines it states the fence price is about $300.00 (at the show the sale guy told me they where about $500.00 it seem it was one of those is you had to asked it was to much answers) but any way, it did work really good and could be adjusted very quickly and accurately with micro adjustment for the fine cuts. But for $110.00 you could get the kreg fence and also have micro adjustment and ajust the fence for drift pretty easily and it seamed the keg would retro fit easer on any saw so here’s my look at it if you have a big saw it might be worth it pending if its $300.00 and not the $500.00 per the sales guy. Smaller saws to mid range stick with the kreg

Mike Cutler
12-04-2006, 7:01 PM
The Laguna's are nice machines, as are the Minimax's, and Aggazani's. Well made.
Lou's monster is at the far end of the spectrum. The totally cool end. I don't think my garage floor is even rated for the weight of one of those machines.

I have one of those wimpy Hyudai's, or a Toyota bandsaws(Rikon 18" actually). It serves my needs well. Not in the same league as the ones mentioned in your post, but the wood doesn't know it.;)

Everyone has to pick machinery that they are comfortable with, and meets their needs. I have only one use for my Rikon, Resawing. I leave the curvy stuff to the little Jet 14".

If you plan on doing a lot of different types of work on a bandsaw. I say go for the euro type models. Tolerances are closer, bearings are better,and the machine will hold it's settings while swapping from one operation and blade to another. My Rikon takes a little fiddlin', and my Jet takes a lot of fiddlin'.

John Shumate
01-24-2007, 8:09 PM
Just got an education on bandsaws.

Spent the good part of an afternoon studying the Laguna 16HD and a brand-new version of the Laguna LT20 that is a substantially beefed up (made in Bulgaria) version of their Italian LT20. I couldn't compare it directly with the Italian LT20, but construction differences between the Bulgarian LT20 and the Italian HD16 were clear.

First, the table on the Bulgarian machine is near 50% thicker cast iron than that on the HD16. Plus, it has a beefy, double cast iron trunnions, compared to a much lighter single trunnion on the HD16.

Second, the bearings for the LT20 wheels are HUGE! I didn't measure, but I'd say they were twice the size as on the HD16. Oh, and the wheels seemed to be cast then machined. Very impressive looking. Turned on, we got a penny to balance on the table for a moment. I didn't have a nickel.

Third, the upper-wheel tension system is gigantic! Two monster steel posts and lots of very thick cast iron. Again, easily double the mass of the HD16, which itself is a double cast iron unit of considerable substance.

Here is a cool feature: the lower blade guides do not need to be adjusted when you tilt (via a wheel) the table. To accomplish this little feat of engineering they had to raise the table a couple of inches, and so the resaw height is nipped from 20 to 16 inches, but it is very cool. The table is also much easier to tilt to the right, a-la flipping down (not slowly turning) bolt that otherwise sets the table at 90 degrees to the blade.

Finally, the Bulgarian beast is a full 350 kilograms (771 pounds) without the MONSTER 6 hp Baldor motor sticking out the back! Folks, that appears to be a tad heavier (when you count the motor) than the heretofore weight champion MM20. In any event, it's nose to nose, weight wise.

Only two items that I noticed (with the help of the salesman) were indicative of its serial number, which was 0001. One is the dust shroud--that gets in the way of freely turning the tri-spoked handle that tightens the table at the front trunnion (The rear trunnion is tightened the same way, with another tri-spoked handle, but there is no clearance issue). The second is the blade guide column wants to drop when loosened. The HD16, in contrast, stays where it's at when loosened, and waits for you to move it up or down via the handle. These are trifles, however, on an otherwise impressively designed and built machine. Torben is clearly working hard in his little design room.

So, combine all this with the very cool Driftmaster fence, that worked just as advertised and allows very consistent and minute adjustment of the fence, and it seems to me that you have a very capable bandsaw.

There was only one problem that I could see with the Driftmaster fence (aside from the fact that it wasn't aligned properly on the table and so it tended to bind and get harder to slide as you moved it closer to the spine of the saw). There is a little white, plastic screw that is used to adjust the table-extension portion of the fence to be level with the table. That screw pushes against, and slides along, the underside edge of the rim of the table. Well, go look at the underside edge of any table... of course its just rough cast with a paint job over it. It's not machined level, or smooth, and so it's not a good, stable, surface against which this little screw can press and slide. Further, it's plastic! On an over 800 pound monster? Obviously, it should, and likely will be in later production runs, a steel screw with a bearing on top that rolls along a machined underside edge of the table. But, note this. That rough underside edge is easily thick enough to act as a beefy surface for a good sized bearing. As I said earlier, this is one thick, heavy, table.

So, as I was more than late to meet my wife at an after work party, I took a quick peek at the new Jet 18X and the Steel City 18... They were laughable. Thin, widely spoked wheels that clearly had but a fraction of the mass of the Laguna wheels. Paper-thin, by comparison, tables with hardly more than nubs as underside ribbing. Puny trunnions. And here is the real kicker. The tension systems were laughably wimpy in comparison with the Lagunas. Thin sheet metal stampings. Toy-like springs. There is simply no way those saws could come even close to the tension that could be applied to a blade by the Lagunas. Reminded me of the old phrase "Made in Japan" when that meant the stuff was junk. Otherwise, for you younger folks, the difference was akin to a F350 and a Hyundai.
Hi. I'm new to this site and I like what I see - lots of great info.

I am thinking seriously of buying the LT20 Bowlturner (I know, it doesn't turn bowls). What I've seen in the Laguna specs and from their salesman differs a little from what Cameron Reddy described.

They claim that the resaw capacity is 20" not the 16" you stated and and their claim for weight is 635lbs. (I think - haven't got the spec sheet with me).

Any further impressions or info is appreciated.

John