PDA

View Full Version : Todays wood gloat

Joash Boyton
12-02-2006, 3:30 AM
Todays gloat, we cut up a bit of lovely timber(with permission)(and free:cool: :rolleyes: )
Restocked the timber pile, which is nice:) The blanks look small, but the 2 big blocks on the right, are around 18"x12"

Sorry for the abcense, will put some more work up soon.

Joash:)

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-02-2006, 8:33 AM
Get'er done Joash. :D Looks like ya need a bigger saw! LOL!!! What kinda wood?

Christopher K. Hartley
12-02-2006, 9:12 AM
Joash, nice haul! Looking forward to seeing what Mother Nature hid in that monster:eek: :)

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Nice haul Joash. What kind of timber is it?

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2006, 11:53 AM
When you talk wood - you seriously talk wood! Great gloat!

Sean Troy
12-02-2006, 4:45 PM
Nice stash !

Christopher Hunter
12-02-2006, 4:53 PM
I wish the weather was that nice over here....
great haul--
-Chris

Joash Boyton
12-02-2006, 6:25 PM
Hi, thanks for the replies.

The saw is the second biggest huskie avaliable, it only had our smallest bar on yesterday---28", we also have a 40" IT has a 110CC motor, I think as well, so it's plenty strong enough.

Timber?? Lighter wood is Tuart, and the pink stuff is rippled jarrah. There is loads of Lace sheoak, but we have tooooo much allready, and I love that rippled Jarrah. The Tuart, is one of Australias hardest timbers.

On the far left, there are 7 burls, Man, they were hard to cut!!

Yes, the weather is beautifull, you ought to see it now:)

I like getting every burl, even if they are 10 feet off the ground:D (on their side:eek: ) (See pic below)

In the pic with the big tree, I am 6", and there is one tree where it is around twice as high as me, on it's side!!:eek: We'll leave that tree for next time (with our big bar)

Will get more stuff up soon,

Have a great day,

Joash

Corey Hallagan
12-02-2006, 7:40 PM
Nice Josh. Looks like you got some spalt with it!

Corey

Jonathon Spafford
12-02-2006, 11:08 PM
In the pic with the big tree, I am 6", and there is one tree where it is around twice as high as me, on it's side!!

6" ????? Isn't that kinda small??? :D :D (you mean 6'?) .... nice wood gloat, Joash!!!! Let's see some shavings!!!!! :)

Joash Boyton
12-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I guess that would be a bit closer:D Thanks for the tip.

So you mean spalted timber, when you say "spalt" If so, no, I did'nt get any this time, there is planty of spalted wattle out there though....

Yes, you will see some shavings soon

Thanks,

Joash

Brad Schmid
12-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Nice tree. You running a 395?
I love that Jarrah ya'll grow over there. Every time my supplier gets some in (which isn't often) I grab it up. Only have one piece left, wish I could get it easier:( One thing for sure, I never forget my respirator when sanding it;)

Joash Boyton
12-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Yes, it's a 395XP;)

Yes, the jarrah we cut is really nice, it isn't like that horrible splintery hard Jarrah, this stuff is softer, full of ripples, and a really nice colour. See the sample and the bowl below.

I have been doing heeeeaps of turning, I have attached a photo of some of the turnings I am halfway through, hope to put some up tonight;)

Joash

Brad Schmid
12-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Beautiful wood, beautiful turnings. Also fun to break out the big saw on the big wood:cool: Myself, I like the cutting as much as the turning (almost). Something about running my saws that gets the blood pumping:D

I'll be looking forward to more pics;)

Joash Boyton
12-03-2006, 1:00 AM
Yes, same with me, something about lopping up big blocks out of big trees.

Thanks, I just about finished another HF just then. I like to start 20-30 objects at a time, and then finish them all at the same time.

Joash

John Hart
12-03-2006, 7:25 AM
You're a better man than I, Mr. Boyton. I can only do one project at a time....Otherwise I forget where I was...or am.:confused:

Nice pile of candy you cut up there! You do nice work.;) :)

Ernie Nyvall
12-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Congrats on the haul Joash. Nice pile of turnings you have going there.