PDA

View Full Version : Ken Salisbury - my thanks

John Lucas
12-02-2006, 2:36 AM
To all, if you read the Sticky "Not an Interview" you will find out some things about this "Super moderator" that Keith is calling. At the end to this nice semi-tribute, he suggests writing a PM to Ken with your thoughts. I could have done that but since a while ago I was one of those ornery people who was "battling" Ken and some of his decisions here, I should also be one to say to him and you all that he was more right than I was and that his efforts then and overall to keep the SMC a great Forum are greatly appreciated by me. So, Ken, enjoy your days away and I hope you will want to return here. "Super moderators" are hard to find.

David Rose
12-02-2006, 3:01 AM
Good move, John. I know Ken will appreciate that.

I don't know that it really matters who is right or who is wrong here. It seems that running an operation like Sawmill Creek requires a lot of judgement calls. I think all of our great moderators here (don't get big heads folks :p ) do the very best that they can to make the Creek the fantastic forum that it is. They also try pretty hard to give us what we want, if it serves the forum's needs. I don't envy the job at all! I do appreciate it.

Ken, hurry up and get healed up and get back here!

David

To all, if you read the Sticky "Not an Interview" you will find out some things about this "Super moderator" that Keith is calling. At the end to this nice semi-tribute, he suggests writing a PM to Ken with your thoughts. I could have done that but since a while ago I was one of those ornery people who was "battling" Ken and some of his decisions here, I should also be one to say to him and you all that he was more right than I was and that his efforts then and overall to keep the SMC a great Forum are greatly appreciated by me. So, Ken, enjoy your days away and I hope you will want to return here. "Super moderators" are hard to find.

Bob Marino
12-02-2006, 8:30 AM

Well said, John. All the best Ken.

Bob

Lori Kleinberg
12-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Though I don't personally know Ken, I have felt that he has done a very good job moderating this forum. I have never done anything like that, but have worked with the public all my life and it is not an easy task dealing with people face to face. But I imagine that it is easier than trying to control the remarks made when there is no way to determine the posters demeanor (kidding around, serious, sarcastic).
I would like to take this time to thank all the moderators for doing the best they can and making this a wonderful place to visit and learn. My prayers especially go out to Ken for a speedy recovery.

Al Willits
12-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Being the newbie here, can't say I "know" Ken or any of the other mods, I can say though that my thanks goes out to anybody who spends the time to keep a forum running, lousy or no pay, long hours, disagreements with forum members, don't always make being a mod easy.

Get well Ken, thanks for doing what you do, along with the other mods.
I can say this forum has made my entering the wood working hobby, MUCH easier.
Thanks to the mods and members.

Al

Dick Bringhurst
12-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Ken - Thank You. Get well soon. Dick B.

glenn bradley
12-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Go Ken! You gift of your time and experience is well appreciated.

Carl Eyman
12-02-2006, 2:08 PM
Even though you are not moderating, Ken, please keep us posted on your health. Our best wishes go out to you.

Dave Ray
12-02-2006, 2:20 PM
Ken, heal quickly..... most of all. While healing please keep us posted, you have many friends here who sincerely are interested in your well being. Thank you for the superb job as moderator.

Tyler Howell
12-03-2006, 9:30 PM
I was pleased and honored to present K.S. original hand crafted pens (FPP) to two of my employees that were deployed over the past few years.
I purchased one for myself that sits on my desk.
I pull it out every time I need to lean on some of my friends for an FPP donation.;)
Many thanks to the Spin Doctor.

Don Selke
12-03-2006, 9:57 PM
A good moderator like a great coach has the responsibility to keep the team heading in the right direction. Not thinking, we often get involved in a statement or in a thread which may have multiple implications or interpitations. It is when a situation like this occurs that a good moderator has the sense to quiet things down, take the bull or bulls by the horn and get things going in the right direction.
Ken has always taken his moderator responsibility to the full extent. This may not have satified all of us at the time but after thinking things over, most of us can agree with his decisions and actions. My entire career has been associated with the general public. Dealing with people is not easy especially when contriversial decisions must be made.
I have never met Ken person to person, but doing so would be a honor.

Thanks Ken for all your dedication and hard work in keeping this forum what it is today. Get well soon and Please jump in when ever you get the chance. Your presence is all ready missed.

John Stevens
12-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Many thanks, Ken. I have learned so much from visiting here, and it is no exaggeration to say that you played a large part in keeping this valuable resource on the internet, open to anyone. I will always be grateful to you for the difficult work you donated here. I wish you all the best.

David Rose
12-03-2006, 10:29 PM
I am one of the "honored ones" who has met ole Ken face ta face at a BBQ. I got to visit with him most of two days. He likes to think of himself as a "crabby old goat". He makes all the right noises, when a crowd is around. But don't let him fool ya. :D I've seen the real Ken. I will give him credit for being a tough old goat though. :)

David

Dennis Peacock
12-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks Ken and may healing and health be restored to you very quickly. Enjoy your time off Ken. A break most well deserved.

Ken Salisbury
12-04-2006, 7:26 AM
Thanks to all those who have responded to this thread and to those many, many folks who have PM’d and e-mailed me with their well wishes. So many there is no way to reply to all of them especially since I am limited to one handed typing.

Thanks to all of the old and new moderators who have taken up the slack in keeping SMC running smoothly. I have been visiting several times per day and doing very minor moderating chores.

My medical problems are basically unchanged. Lung cancer and bladder cancer are both in remission. No evidence of any tumors in either area which is basically a miracle since I was given as little as 3 months to live in June 05. During my extensive cancer treatments I lost 30 pounds (down to 130lbs). I have since gained back 19 of those pounds and was feeling really good and somewhat strong until the stroke on Nov 16th. My left side is still basically inoperative, however the doctors say I should completely recover in time. We shall see.

Again - thanks to all my friends at SMC.

Now if we can just get a competent head football coach at Alabama my condition would improve dramatically :) . The major rumors around here is that it will be Steve Spurrier - but I seriously doubt that.

Bob Hovde
12-04-2006, 9:23 AM
Ken,

We missed talking to you at the craft fair this year. Get well soon!

Bob