PDA

View Full Version : M&T question

jonathan snyder
12-02-2006, 2:20 AM
Hi Folks.

Quick Question. I understand that it is better to have say two 2 1/2" tenons with a 1" space between them rather than one long 6" tenon. I see in many construction diagrams that folks will put a short stub tenon in between the two tenons. I assume this stub should not be glued, is that correct? How long should the stub be? 1/2 the tenon length? 1/3 the length?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jonathan

David Rose
12-02-2006, 3:07 AM
Jonathan,

You probably don't want to glue both tenons either. Six inches of wood will move easily as much as an eighth of an inch, if not quarter sawn. Something will give if it moves that much. At the least, one tenon would be likely to break free. The short tenon stub in the middle is to help keep the board from cupping.

David

Hi Folks.

Quick Question. I understand that it is better to have say two 2 1/2" tenons with a 1" space between them rather than one long 6" tenon. I see in many construction diagrams that folks will put a short stub tenon in between the two tenons. I assume this stub should not be glued, is that correct? How long should the stub be? 1/2 the tenon length? 1/3 the length?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jonathan