PDA

View Full Version : Walnut HF

Christopher Hunter
12-02-2006, 1:18 AM
Hey guys,
I looked around the shop for something to do tonight and found a piece of crotch walnut.. It had a ton onf cracks in it so I started out large and wound up with this ....
3" Dia -- 5.5" tall
sanded to 600 -- No finish on it yet
Critiques welcome!!!
Thanks,
--Chris
P.S. a big thanks is in order for Frank Kabilsek for helping me out with these Hollow form tricks
I have struggled with them ever since the first and I am on my 10th...
I finally got one to post -- LOL
I may even get a second

Rich Stewart
12-02-2006, 6:06 AM
Lookin' good Chris. Beautiful wood. Do you have any sanding sealer on it? I always have trouble with walnut as it is so porous.

John Hart
12-02-2006, 6:35 AM
Way to go Chris! Once you get rockin' on Hollow Forms...you don't want to do anything else. ;) :)

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-02-2006, 8:30 AM
Nice Chris! I love Walnut and it looks like you found an exceptional piece. That form would look great with a lid.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-02-2006, 9:07 AM
Chris, great job with that walnut. It has some pretty grain pattern in it and I like your form. You asked for any critiques and while I am certainly not an expert. I would work a bit with the pics as they probably don't do justice to your work. I found that by using a nice towel dark or light, depending on the project and draping the towel over two boxes, one that is high and one that is low I can at least get a clear pic most of the time. The smaller box elevates the project so photographing is easier. I just don't have the resources to put into a photo box and lights at the moment. I use an area with good overhead light. I try to take the pic close for detail then crop and resize if it is too big for the upload here. These guys probably have much better ways but I will guarantee none are as inexpensive as this. Hope this helps a little.:)

Christopher Hunter
12-02-2006, 9:42 AM
Thanks Chris for the info,
I have tried a few different ways and have not had great luck I think it could be the room's lighting and the background or maybe the camera? , NOW I am wishing I took photography in school LOL:D
I want to improve the pics though so I will try everything---
thanks again,
--Chris

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Chris that is a nice looking HF. I am just starting into those also. Post a picture when finished.

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Chris, great looking wood! Should finish out really nice. Have to agree with Kurt that a lid would really add to the completed piece. Would love to see a pic of the finished vase.

Frank Kobilsek
12-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Chris
Don't give me too much credit. All I did was show you how to sharpen those bars you made. Looks like they are working much better.

Good shape on a nice piece of wood. I'm not a foot guy so I would loose the foot. My anti-foot fetish may come from my inability to turn a good looking foot so you are free to discount that opinion.

Frank

Christopher Hunter
12-02-2006, 12:40 PM
by the way Frank I haven't talked with you in a while---
How is that Cherry HF coming along --
and
I think we need to get together before Christmas ---
whadaya say?
--Chris