PDA

View Full Version : Roto Zip RZ20

Chuck Wood
12-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Does anyone have any experiance with this tool? I just picked one up from HD for my Christmas gift to myself! Seems like it will be very handy. I've used it once so far to finish enclosing the bathroom in my shop. (cutting out ecectrial switch outlets in OSB) Comes with three cutting wheels. :)

glenn bradley
12-02-2006, 12:33 PM
That's what they're made to do. Beyond that sort of thing a friend of mine cuts thin plywood for Christmas decorations, etc. that stand on the lawn. For that kind of work I prefer my jigsaw but I'll bet Roto-Zip has lots of ideas . . . Yep here you are:

http://www.rotozip.com/Learn/MaterialsApplication/Carpentry.htm

Use the drop down menu under 'Select an Application'

Tom Pritchard
12-02-2006, 5:07 PM
Chuck, it is one of the "unsung" heros of my little shop! I have used it to get me out of tight spots when remodeling, to recently cutting Halloween ghosts out of a sheet of plywood! There are many times when it can make tight cuts or plunge cuts when nothing else in my shop will work. The one you bought is much more advanced than the one I have, and I think the LED will be a great addition. The only complaint I have is that it is impossible to have any kind of dust control with it, and when I cut out my ghosts, it really made a mess of my shop.

I think you made a great little addition to your tool arsenal with it!

Chuck Wood
12-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Tom,

Check out this link ! http://www.rotozip.com/Shop/CategorySubBrowse.htm?IID=66595&HID=188052&BID=19

They have a dust collector now! :)

Larry Fox
12-04-2006, 8:22 AM
I have one of the earlier rotoZip's that was given to me as a gift. I use it mostly for drywallwork - cutting around outlets and such. For that it is absolutely awesome. I take rough measurements to the center of a box, slap a whole sheet up on the wall, put a few screws to hold, stab the rotozip in and work it around the box as fast as you can move it and voila - you are done and can continue securing the sheet. Great little tool.

Mike Holbrook
12-04-2006, 1:59 PM
I bought one back when I was working with a fair amount of sheet rock. It sails through sheet rock fast. I used mine a fair amount but never got use to it. Like someone else has mentioned they toss huge amounts of dust. I never got very good with it, ending up with some squirly lines. They have a whole different feel than a saw.

I tried in on 5/8 T111 ply and sheathing too, it was slower and far lesss acurate for me than my zig saw for those chores. My Bosh zig saw makes a plunge cut pretty quick with the right blade. My take is, if you need to do a bunch of sheet rock real fast, especially if you have a good patch crew coming behind you like sheet rock crews do it may save some significant time, if not you might not find it to be that valuable. It may work better in tight spots too, but not often enough in my case to be significant. Mine broke and I never got around to getting it fixed.