PDA

View Full Version : Lurkers first post

Ron Coleman
12-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I've been lurking for the past week or so and my only conclusion is you guys have too much fun here. A little background on me now. I've been turning for about 10 years but haven't been too active the last three years. Times are changing again and now I'm back at the lathe almost every evening and having lots of fun. I rejoined the local turners club, it's almost like I never left.

Now if I can figure how to post a picture I'll show you one of my recent pieces. Hope this works.

Madrone burl footed vessel with a slumped glass lid and brass finial. About 16 inches tall.

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=51378&stc=1&d=1165029801)

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Hey Ron, welcome to Creek. You will find lots of good people and lots of knowledge. That is a beautiful piece. What is it finished with?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ron!............Talk about making a splash! Wade right in.........the water's fine!..........I'm sure we can all learn from you!

Again......Welcome!

Ron Coleman
12-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys, glad to be here. And thanks for the comments about the piece.

Bernie, the finish is danish oil on the burl, buffed with the Beal system. The foot is actually maple with a two part lacquer finish. The first coats are flat black sandable auto primer (drys very fast) and the top coat is automotive clearcoat. For the lacquer I have found PlastiKote makes the best sandable clearcoat and fast drying too. For small projects the spray cans are realy handy.

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks Ron.

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Oh, my....eye candy by the "new guy" in the forum! Welcome aboard, Ron!

Steve Schlumpf
12-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Welcome to the creek Ron! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Rich Stewart
12-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Wow! Nice piece. I'll look forward to seeing more. Welcome.

Gary DeWitt
12-02-2006, 12:55 AM
Verrrry nice, a unique design! Thanks also for the detailed description of the finish. I would never have thought of auto primer! What is slumped glass?

Dick Parr
12-02-2006, 1:19 AM
Welcome Ron, Very nice turning.;)

I worked with a Ron Coleman in Columbus many years ago.

John Hart
12-02-2006, 6:45 AM
Welcome to the whirlpool in the creek Ron. Nice piece! :)

Ron Coleman
12-02-2006, 7:59 AM
Welcome Ron, Very nice turning.;)

I worked with a Ron Coleman in Columbus many years ago.
Thanks Dick.

I met another Ron Coleman about 20 years ago in Columbus, he was an electrician for Hatfield Electric. His name is still in the phone book.

Ron Coleman
12-02-2006, 8:12 AM
Verrrry nice, a unique design! Thanks also for the detailed description of the finish. I would never have thought of auto primer! What is slumped glass?
Thanks for the comments about the piece Gary. The waxed turning block was in my shop for almost 2 years before I even put it on the lathe, kinda like the Hope Diamond before the first cut.

Slumped glass is kiln formed using heat and gravity to generate the shape. The glass domed lid started out flat, resting on a round ring in a kiln. I heated it to about 1300f and very slowly the glass saggs down through the hole in the ring, this one took about a half hour to slump. After the kiln forming the rim was cut off and the edge was ground and polished.

Ron

Christopher K. Hartley
12-02-2006, 8:23 AM
Ron, welcome to the spinny segment of the Creek! Beautiful work you've done there. Lots of detail and I love the stand. Did you just cut out the voids between the feet or did you turn them out? I must join Gary in asking what "slumped glass" is.:confused: I don't recall having ever heard of it before. Keep 'them thar' pics coming. Show us some of your previous stuff as well. Thanks for letting us look.:)

Travis Stinson
12-02-2006, 8:45 AM
Welcome aboard Ron. Looking forward to seeing more beautiful pieces from you. :cool:

Tom Sherman
12-02-2006, 8:54 AM
Welcome to the Creek Ron, and welcome back to turning. Doesn't look like your skills have suffered much from your absence great piece. look forward to more from you.

Jim Ketron
12-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Beautiful Piece Ron!
Welcome to the Creek!

Ron Coleman
12-02-2006, 5:06 PM
. Did you just cut out the voids between the feet or did you turn them out?

Christopher

The foot is just an upside down bowl turned from a square block of maple. The first cuts were on the outside for the general shape and then the inside was hollowed out to open up the four arches. It's a little tricky to make the interupted cut and there is always some chipping at the sharp corners. After turning, the piece was finished with a sanding drum on the drillpress.

Ron

Christopher K. Hartley
12-02-2006, 5:09 PM
Christopher

The foot is just an upside down bowl turned from a square block of maple. The first cuts were on the outside for the general shape and then the inside was hollowed out to open up the four arches. It's a little tricky to make the interupted cut and there is always some chipping at the sharp corners. After turning, the piece was finished with a sanding drum on the drillpress.

RonThanks Ron, I'll keep this in mind. Appreciate the help:)

Mark Pruitt
12-02-2006, 5:39 PM
Welcome to SMC Ron! That's a beautiful piece!

Dennis Peacock
12-02-2006, 5:55 PM
Welcome aboard Ron.!!!!! Very nice turning you have there. Very pretty indeed. Welcome to SMC and may your stay be pleasant.

Ernie Nyvall
12-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Welcome Ron. Man, that is a nice piece. Hope to see more.