PDA

View Full Version : Another RT in the Works

glenn bradley
12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
I finally got some time to devote to my new router table. To finish setting up the new saw I need to add my extension wing RT. I told myself after the jury-rig job I did to control the Mil 5625 snowblower; next time I'd do it better.

Progress so far is the carcase less the left side panel. Combination of dados for some joints and pocket holes for other panels. Should have the side panel on tomorrow. Then it's levelers, doors and drawers. Once I'm happy with the supporting frame I'll fasten on the top and screw on the dust port.

Using the TS top as a reference since I haven't gotten around to the torsion box yet.

Another angle. The POS standing on it's head in the lower right was my slam-bang solution for the chips generated by the 5625. Bad plan; the weight of the router and the box hanging from the table caused bow.

A little pocket hole action with the DW corded I picked up for $40 on special at the BORG. Much better for pocket holes than the cordless.

Keeping everything square while gluing till the other side panel is attached.

Thanks for looking.

jonathan snyder
12-03-2006, 1:09 AM
Glen,

I'm having trouble visualizing the finished product here. You will have to post some more pics as you get a little further along. Should be a nice space saver, having it in the TS wing! Are you using a commercial router plate or a homemade one?

Jonathan

glenn bradley
12-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I guess a little drawing of the targeted result would be nice. I'll post more once it's farther along today. This is just a resurrection of my Rockler TS wing table, plate and fence. On my old contractor saw the table just hung from the fence rails.

New saw, new fence, no rails to the left of the table extension so; this will essentially be a free standing unit. It will just-so-happen to be the same height as the TS and bolt to the left wing.

Sorry for the vague pics. I guess I was just excited to finally get started. ;-) This will give a better idea of where I'm headed with this thing. Lower compartments will have drawers on one side and a slide out bin for other routers (at least that's my idea right now). To the right and left of the router enclosure (which will have a door) are cubbys sized for my "tackle box" style bit storage.

jonathan snyder
12-03-2006, 8:41 PM
Nuce job, Glen. Looks like a router table now!!

Jonathan

glenn bradley
12-15-2006, 6:03 PM
Sorry about all the interim pics gang. Christmas has taken away more shop time than expected. I'm off to a one week training class next week so . . . . less the door and drawers, this is where it'll sit till I'm back. BB ply just screams "shop cabinet" to me so I did this cabinet up to match the flip-top in the background. The other TS pedestal now conspicuously does not match!

Frank Snyder
12-15-2006, 6:37 PM
Looks good, Glenn. I like the matching power switches and how you tied in the DC. If it bothers you, just paint the plywood white and it'll blend.

Mike Heidrick
12-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Looks great. I like your design very very much.

glenn bradley
12-31-2006, 7:45 PM
to get all the router stuff in one place. Finish goes on the drawers and false fronts tomorrow. Then if I finally finish my airflow testing and add the door this puppy will be done. Its a good thing I do this as a hobby 'cause sometimes I am brutally slow.

P.s. Yes, that's an old 2HP Ryobi in the table. It's gloating since it hardly ever gets to visit the table now that the 5625 is in the shop. It's got some decent power and I use him to swap routers as opposed to bits when I'm in my version of 'production' mode; like making drawers.

lou sansone
01-01-2007, 7:42 AM
excellent work. it is nice to keep all that stuff in one place.

lou

Jim Becker
01-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Very nice work.

Traditionally, I've always had my router table as a separate unit in the shop...and I'll continue to use my stand-alone table going forward, but I have been thinking about putting a router station on the outfeed side of the blade on my new sliding saw similar to what Paul Cresti did. This would somewhat emulate the saw/shaper combo motif and allow me to use the slider. But I'll have to do a cabinet of some sort like you did for dust control and additional storage...I think it will be an interesting project!

Corey Hallagan
01-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Very nice Glenn! You have done a great job. Wish I had room for a set up like that!

Corey

Joe Trotter
01-03-2007, 9:25 AM
Nice job Glenn! I may have to try building one instead of buying. Pictures are always great for showing how things are built. It gives me a good idea how to build something.

Woodworkers Journal has plans in the winter 2007 projects magazine.

Joe

glenn bradley
01-03-2007, 7:56 PM
Finally got this guy "finished". I put quotes on "finished" as I had another door design planned. This was my airflow-test door. After a bit of experimenting, I stumbled onto such a good combination (less opening than I anticipated from other cabinets) I decided to keep it. So, out with the Shellac and the door stays.

Jim Becker
01-03-2007, 8:11 PM
No harm in a little color contrast! Nice job on this project. A winner. IMHO.

glenn bradley
01-03-2007, 8:15 PM
Thanks Jim. I may go ahead with the original plan as I like that BB monochrome thing and with the drawers I don't need the pegboard door. We'll see. "For now" has a tendency to become "forever". ;-)