PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany for Baseball Bat??

Gilbert Vega
12-01-2006, 8:54 PM
My son wants to turn a baseball bat and initially wanted to use Mesquite. I didn't think that it would be strong enough (?). I suggested buying a Hickory or Ash blank for him to turn but really wants something different. I have plenty of Mahogany and was looking for opinions on its suitability. Any comments?

John Lohmann
12-01-2006, 8:58 PM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/woodworking/4199403.html I don't know if it will work, but make sure the grain is very tight 1/8" or less. They dye or stain bats commonly even in Louisville. I have a louisville slugger that I have had since I was a kid, Carl Yastremski model, that has very tight end grain, less that 1/16" spacing looking at the end of the barrel. My son has used it in wood bat tourmaments for many years without breaking it, like new bats often do. I guess a 30 year old bat has tight end grain in the barrel.

Mike Cutler
12-01-2006, 8:59 PM
My son wants to turn a baseball bat and initially wanted to use Mesquite. I didn't think that it would be strong enough (?). I suggested buying a Hickory or Ash blank for him to turn but really wants something different. I have plenty of Mahogany and was looking for opinions on its suitability. Any comments?

I think that Mahogany might be a little light for an actual working bat. I might be inclined to try Teak or Jatoba for something with a different look.

Gilbert Vega
12-01-2006, 9:01 PM
I think that Mahogany might be a little light for an actual working bat. I might be inclined to try Teak or Jatoba for something with a different look.
How about a laminated piece of Ipe?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2006, 9:02 PM
Gilbert..........I wouldn't use mahogany. In my opinion it isn't dense enough or tough enough. Your recommendation of ash or hickory is a good one. I can't comment about ipe as I've not worked with it.

Mike Cutler
12-01-2006, 9:03 PM
How about a laminated piece of Ipe?

There ya' go. I'd like to see Jim Rice break an Ipe bat over his knee.:D. ;)

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 9:03 PM
Baseball bats that are intended to be used need to be able to absorb shock without breaking (bend a little...) yet not deform. Mahogany isn't going to cut it and I agree with Mike that it will be a bit light. Mesquite and other very dense species may likely be too heavy for good balance and so forth. There is a reason that ash is so popular for bats...and chair spindles. It's strong, flexible and of reasonable weight.

So if it's going to be a "user", then the species should be something with the right properties. If it's for display..."anything" will do!

matt halloran
12-01-2006, 9:57 PM
Baseball bats that are intended to be used need to be able to absorb shock without breaking (bend a little...) yet not deform. Mahogany isn't going to cut it and I agree with Mike that it will be a bit light. Mesquite and other very dense species may likely be too heavy for good balance and so forth. There is a reason that ash is so popular for bats...and chair spindles. It's strong, flexible and of reasonable weight.

So if it's going to be a "user", then the species should be something with the right properties. If it's for display..."anything" will do!

AHA...finally I feel I can contribute to the creek....as a former professional baseball player I can tell you that ash is good, maple is better. The best bats were/are coming from japanese maple now but you can't get it. Contrary to what you read above you DO NOT want tight grain. You want a bat with straightest grain from end to end, with maybe 2 or 3 at most grains through the whole bat. I turned my own when I was playing but they didn't last one session of BP. Reason was the grain wasn't straight. Don't finish the bat, sand smooth, pine tar the handle and then bone the barrell (ham bone). But to answer your question...no mahogony won't work (it'll snap) and ipe will only hurt your boy's hands and be too heavy to swing (keep in mind we like a 34 in 31oz bat!)

HTH!

thomas prevost
12-01-2006, 10:03 PM
ash, hickory and hard maple are used in the bat factory nearby(Dodgeville Bat.) They use only veener quality woods as the grain must be perfectly straight from the handle bottom to the end of the bat. As Jim notes, bats must have a reasonable density to get weight into the swing, must flex and be able to adsorb energy without splintering. There are specifications as to bat diameters and ratios of end bung to handle and weight distribution. I do not know what these are, but an inquiry to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown may have info. If it is to be used, remember any error in turning puts the infield players at risk of injury.

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Matt...I was going to mention maple, but just plain forgot!! Thanks for the pro advice!

Greg Funk
12-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Here's an interesting story on a successful maple bat maker about to sell his business:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/24/sports/baseball/24bats.html?ex=1165122000&en=abed71641330dd34&ei=5070

Greg

Alan Turner
12-02-2006, 4:58 AM
Great article; thanks.

Larry Browning
12-02-2006, 7:02 AM
Also, if this bat is going to be used in a league, you will probably need to get special permission to use it in a game. There are very specific rules about size and especially diameter of the bat head. Most leagues simply require that it be stamped or labeled somewhere as an official NCAA, Little League or whatever organazation the league is playing under bat. Many years ago I was an ASA softball umpire, We had a kid bring a homemade bat to a game one time. The opposing team noticed this and waited until he got an RBI hit and then protested the use of the bat. We really had no choice but to not only call the kid out, but he was also ejected from the game for using ilegal equipment. It was really sad, but rules are rules. I really felt I should have noticed the bat before the game even started and dissallowed it right then (Inspecting the bats is really supposed to be a part of the umpires pregame prep, but when you have 3-4 games a night that are usually running late, you just want to get the game started)
Anyway, is this youth baseball? Are wooden bats legal at that level? I thought everything had to be alluminum these days.

scott spencer
12-02-2006, 7:03 AM
Here's an interesting story on a successful maple bat maker about to sell his business:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/24/sports/baseball/24bats.html?ex=1165122000&en=abed71641330dd34&ei=5070

Greg

That was a great story Greg! I rarely take the time to read entire articles, but I read that one...thanks for sharing.

I was wondering how elm would work, but I suppose it'd be hard to find a piece with super straight grain...

Gilbert Vega
12-02-2006, 6:27 PM
Anyway, is this youth baseball? Are wooden bats legal at that level? I thought everything had to be alluminum these days.
No, he is well past little league. He just wants a man-made bat to use when his friends hit start a game at the park.

Steve Wargo
12-02-2006, 6:48 PM
That is a grat artical. I read one about him a few years ago, when Bond's was making his home run mark (FWIW... The Home Run Record is still held by Marris). Maple does make a good choice for bats. Mahogany, probably worse than you'd think.