PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started

Rex Guinn
12-01-2006, 5:47 PM
Hi guys;
I am wanting to get into turning, have purchased Bill Grumbine DVD's and they are great. Now I want to purchase a lathe, am looking at General, Grizzly, and the DVR XP. I relally like what I've read on the DVR XP. Size speeds etc.
This is my first post. I think I will go with Sorby tools, the Wolverine shapring system. Has anyone seen any used DVR 3000 for sale.
I would like to hear your suggestions, pros and cons!
Thanks
Rex

Mark Pruitt
12-01-2006, 7:13 PM
Welcome, Rex! What you look for in a lathe depends on what you intend to do. From the fact that you bought Bill's DVDs I assume your primary interest is bowls (?). If that is the case, then the things to look for are greater swing, plenty of horsepower, good range of RPMs (ablity to turn slow enough to turn larger bowls safely) and rock-solid stability. Such a lathe is a big investment, and for some it makes more sense to start out with something small like a Jet Mini that doesn't cost a fortune, and hone their skills on that before making a leap to something bigger.

The best thing you can do at this point is to seek out some experienced turners in your area (it would possibly help if you update your SMC profile to include your location), and talk with them. Ask for the opportunity to try out various lathes if possible. Two things I can say with certainty: there is always more to learn, and there are always new "toys" to acquire!

Glad you're here. Stop in often. Ask questions. Share your work. We like pictures!:)

Andy Hoyt
12-01-2006, 7:34 PM
And join a club (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List)!

Steve Schlumpf
12-01-2006, 7:37 PM
Rex, everything Mark stated is right on the money! Not knowing where you are located doesn't us help much - in that if you are in a major metro area somewhere you should be able to pick up a used lathe of some type to start out with and figure out if you want to turn things within specific area - like spindles, hollow forms or bowls. The tools you buy are pretty much geared to these specialized areas and knowing ahead of time which area(s) you want to work in will help you out in the long run by saving you money on tools - i.e. buying those tools that you will actually use. As the members here will attest - the lathe you decide to purchase will ultimately end up being the least of your investments as there are always other tools/attachments that will make your turning experience 'better'.

As a suggestion - look at the Harbor Freight turning tool set - 8 chisels for $40 or less. They are HSS and a great 'cheap' set to learn how to sharpen on.

Other than that - Welcome to the Creek and we look forward to hearing how things are progressing with you. And - like Mark said - We like Pictures! Best of luck with your upcoming decisions!

John Hart
12-01-2006, 8:51 PM
Welcome to The Abyss Rex!! Got any money? You won't for long.;) :)

Rex Guinn
12-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Hi guys;
I am wanting to get into turning, have purchased Bill Grumbine DVD's and they are great. Now I want to purchase a lathe, am looking at General, Grizzly, and the DVR XP. I relally like what I've read on the DVR XP. Size speeds etc.
This is my first post. I think I will go with Sorby tools, the Wolverine shapring system. Has anyone seen any used DVR 3000 for sale.
I would like to hear your suggestions, pros and cons!
Thanks
Rex
Ok guys thanks for the comments! I want to turn bowls and maybe later get into segmented turning. But I will be starting on simple bowls and see how it goes. So far I think I would like to get a DVR XP if I have to buy a new one. I've been watching craigslist in Central Kentucky area for used, and E-Bay. If I buy used I would rather pick it up, so it should be fairly close, just to make sure.

Does anyone know of a good used lathe in this area?
Rex

Joyce Baldauf
12-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Rex,

You might also want to consider the Jet 1642 EVS. There is currently a $200.00 rebate on this lathe. I got one about 6 weeks ago and got the rebate within 3 weeks. Great machine, larger shaft bearings than the General, don't need to mess with a separate stand as you do with the the Nova. The Jet is very solid and well made. The head stock slides to the end for bowl work. Some people have expressed concern about the long-term stability of the rotating head stock. I had considered both the General and the Nova in my search. Both are excellent machines, but I felt the Jet gave me more for less money, saved about $500-600 over the Nova. Money left over for the purchase of other tools and toys.:D

I agree with what the others have said here and can't stress stongly enough to look into joining a local club. Usually great people who are only too glad to give tips and help and encouragement. You can usually visit a time or two before making a decision to join.

Good luck,
Joyce