PDA

View Full Version : Help for Steve Clardy

Pages : [1] 2

Ken Salisbury
12-01-2006, 5:39 PM
It has come to my attention from a post on the familywoodworking forum that Steve Clardy has suffered a disaster. Due to heavy snow fall the roof on Steve's shop has collapsed. Steve has been a member and a contributor here for a long time. We should all reach out and offer our help to Steve to recover from this disaster. For more information you can go to familywoodworking.com for more details. Please help where you can.

Keith Starosta
12-01-2006, 5:46 PM
That's horrible! :(

Steve, we're thinking about you......

- Keith

Tim Morton
12-01-2006, 6:12 PM
Ken, I looked....i did not see anything other than his post saying storms coming. Myabe break your own rules and post a link?:o

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2006, 6:21 PM
Tim.......Look at posts started by Tod Evans.......It was started this morning. I read it.

Roger Myers
12-01-2006, 6:23 PM
Post is in their general ww section and is titled "bad news"...
Will be more info coming later as to what type of assistance would be most useful.

Dennis Peacock
12-01-2006, 8:14 PM
So what are we as Creeker's gonna do? How about getting a fund drive together? I am willing to be a central point of contact.

Gary Herrmann
12-01-2006, 8:29 PM
St. Louis and surrounding areas got hit by a nasty ice storm. 500,000 people without power/phone. Myself included. I'm writing this from a friend's house because our house is pretty darn cold.

Theres at least an inch of ice in my area with snow on top. Outlying areas got it a lot worse. I had some damage, house banged up and one 20 foot stretch of gutter torn off the house by falling iced up limbs.

Trees and lines are down everywhere. This is a winter version of last July when power was out for over a week and no hotels could be found for 50+ miles outside STL.

I hope Steve and his fam are doing ok.

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 8:32 PM
Yes, that's a horrible thing to happen to a really nice fellow...and one who makes his living in his shop.

Dennis, I'll be happy to contribute something.

Joe Mioux
12-01-2006, 8:39 PM
Dennis that is a great idea.

Gary Herman, STL metro area has 500,000 "homes" without power, that equates to probably around 2 million ppl.

We got lucky over here in Carlyle..... a light dusting of snow. the winds dried out the rain before much of it froze.

Joe

John Miliunas
12-01-2006, 8:50 PM
Ken, thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Dennis, yeah, Steve is a good guy and, like Jim mentions, is dependent on that shop for his livelihood! Once something gets more solidified toward that end, count me in! (Insert "thumbs up" icon here!) :cool:

John Miliunas
12-01-2006, 8:52 PM
St. Louis and surrounding areas got hit by a nasty ice storm. 500,000 people without power/phone. Myself included. I'm writing this from a friend's house because our house is pretty darn cold.

Theres at least an inch of ice in my area with snow on top. Outlying areas got it a lot worse. I had some damage, house banged up and one 20 foot stretch of gutter torn off the house by falling iced up limbs.

Trees and lines are down everywhere. This is a winter version of last July when power was out for over a week and no hotels could be found for 50+ miles outside STL.

I hope Steve and his fam are doing ok.

Gary, the greatest consolation here is, you and your family are OK! We can only be hopeful that a repeat of last July does not come into play, particularly with freezing water lines and such. Best of luck to you and please, keep us posted. Your welfare is our concern! :cool:

John Hart
12-01-2006, 9:51 PM
Yep...I'm in on any kind of contribution drive you come up with. Terrible stroke of bad luck.:(

Carl Eyman
12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
That is, can somebody come up with a pay-pal donation scheme. or post an address thzt we can snail mail a check to. but avoid having to go to another forum to help him out? I'm an old guy, help me out.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2006, 10:27 PM
I'll be in too! Nice guy....needs that shop to earn a living....

Jerry Olexa
12-01-2006, 10:28 PM
That is, can somebody come up with a pay-pal donation scheme. or post an address thzt we can snail mail a check to. but avoid having to go to another forum to help him out? I'm an old fart, help me out.

I'm in Carl's boat. I'll contribute. He's a fine guy. Lets just make it simple and easy....

Dan Oliphant
12-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Count me in, but will only do snail mail.

Dennis Peacock
12-01-2006, 11:47 PM
OK....let's do this to get things under way.

Make any check out to:
Dennis Peacock (I got to thinking this over and we wish all contributors to remain anonymous. Sorry. )
or PayPal: woodspinner_at_sbcglobal_dot_net (just in case someone is scanning posts for email addresses)
Snail Mail the check to:
Dennis Peacock
27 Scott Lane
Conway, AR 72032

I will generate a spreadsheet of contributions as I get them, get Mark Cothren to hold me accountable for funds and I will get them to Steve as quickly as we get all that would like to contribute for this very worthy cause.

John Miliunas
12-01-2006, 11:58 PM
OK....let's do this to get things under way.

Make any check out to:
Dennis Peacock (I got to thinking this over and we wish all contributors to remain anonymous. Sorry. )

Snail Mail the check to:
Dennis Peacock
27 Scott Lane
Conway, AR 72032

I will generate a spreadsheet of contributions as I get them, get Mark Cothren to hold me accountable for funds and I will get them to Steve as quickly as we get all that would like to contribute for this very worthy cause.

Any email address for doing it via PayPal, Dennis? (I hate snail mail!:o ) Thanks for getting this thing going! :) :cool:

Ed Breen
12-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Dennis,
I'm like John, I'd rather do paypal. how about your web site?? I'm having a senior moment but I remember curly something or other.
Steve needs help and his freinds will help.
Ed

Dennis Peacock
12-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Dennis,
I'm like John, I'd rather do paypal. how about your web site?? I'm having a senior moment but I remember curly something or other.
Steve needs help and his freinds will help.
Ed

Ed,
PayPal is accepted...check the message with my addy in it.

Ed Breen
12-02-2006, 1:13 AM
Hokay Dennis,
Mine is on its way to woodspinners.
Ed

John Bailey
12-02-2006, 2:53 AM
Steve's been around here longer than I've been. His avatar's have always brought a smile. Hope he's OK and count me in also. Sure wish I lived closer. Be nice to help with a roof raisin'.

John

Dave Fifield
12-02-2006, 3:16 AM
Man, that's bad news. I'm sending some to help Steve too.

:Dave F.

John Hart
12-02-2006, 6:07 AM
Paypal teleported at this time.:)

Keith Outten
12-02-2006, 6:23 AM
Dennis,

Jackie and I are in also, checks in the mail. I expect Steve will need some manpower to make repairs, are there any Creekers that live in his area (Edwards, Missouri) that might be able to donate a few hours to help out?

Tim Morton
12-02-2006, 6:44 AM
Thanks for setting this up Dennis...I'm in!!

Frank Chaffee
12-02-2006, 6:57 AM
Paypal on the wire.
Thanks Dennis.
Good luck and best wishes Steve!

Frank Chaffee

John Miliunas
12-02-2006, 8:21 AM
Ed,
PayPal is accepted...check the message with my addy in it.

Thanks, Dennis. PP wired. Let's hope he gets this squared away quickly and can return to some semblance of "normal". Best of luck to you, Steve! :) :cool:

Glenn Clabo
12-02-2006, 9:11 AM
Dennis...You're a good man.

Folks...I won't go into details...but Steve is going to need some real money to get his shop up and running again.

Lou Morrissette
12-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Snail mail on the way, Dennis. Thanks for the effort to help out a good fellow Creeker. My best to Steve.

Lou

Jim O'Dell
12-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Just to give you a little update. Steve has several sons in the framing business, they are helping him dig out. Truss material should be there today, and roof sheathing on Tuesday. One son has a crew of 20 framers, and is bring 5 to 7, IIRC, off other jobs to get this weathered in for Dad. Steve has said over at familywoodworking that he appreciates all the offers of physical help, but that they have a pretty good handle on things.
His BS is toast, one picture shows the TS with a joist on it, TS tilted at an angle with 1 or 2 feet up in the air, joist sitting on the planer, etc. One son was going to bring in a cherry picker or something similar to safely pick up the fallen roof material today. They will finish up moving the machines to a dry part of the building for the time being.
I know Steve will appreciate your thoughts and prayers. He will probably log in here at some point, but it may be a few days! Jim

Dennis Peacock
12-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Keep the snail mail and PayPal coming folks. We'd like to make a good showing of Creeker support to one who has experience a tragedy to a shop where they make their living.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed so far.:D :cool: :cool:

Roy Wall
12-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Just to give you a little update. Steve has several sons in the framing business, they are helping him dig out. Truss material should be there today, and roof sheathing on Tuesday. One son has a crew of 20 framers, and is bring 5 to 7, IIRC, off other jobs to get this weathered in for Dad. Steve has said over at familywoodworking that he appreciates all the offers of physical help, but that they have a pretty good handle on things.
His BS is toast, one picture shows the TS with a joist on it, TS tilted at an angle with 1 or 2 feet up in the air, joist sitting on the planer, etc. One son was going to bring in a cherry picker or something similar to safely pick up the fallen roof material today. They will finish up moving the machines to a dry part of the building for the time being.
I know Steve will appreciate your thoughts and prayers. He will probably log in here at some point, but it may be a few days! Jim

Bad deal......my concern is certainly for Steve! Glad he wasn't in the shop (I'm guessing) when it happened.

Jim - do you have any photos you can post here??

He is covered by Insurance......isn't he???

Jim Becker
12-02-2006, 11:22 AM
My support is sent.

Jim O'Dell
12-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Roy, I'm at work and can't even pull up that forum with our Web (non) Sense in place. Pulls SMC and Woodnet fine with restrictions. BT3Central is not restricted at all. :confused: :confused: :confused: I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling someone's pictures off a different forum to post here. If you still can't pull them up, send me an e-mail to my address in my profile, and I'll send you a link when I get home from work later this afternoon. Jim

Andy Hoyt
12-02-2006, 12:04 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words. Three pictures tell a much bigger story. And describe a need that goes well beyond imagination.

I have just bellied up to the PayPal bar. Who'll join me?

51393 51394 51395

Bruce Page
12-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Paypal is on it's way.

Thanks Dennis

David Plaskett
12-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Paypal is on the way. I met steve at one of T. Hatfield's
BBQ few years ago. Still have 2 pieces of nice walnut he was giving away. Real nice guy.

Thanks Dennis

Dennis Peacock
12-02-2006, 1:40 PM
Just over $450 so far. Let's see what we can do when a Creeker needs help. Let's DO IT!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2006, 1:55 PM
Dennis...........I'm in via Paypal. Wished I could send more but I'm tapped right now.

Dennis Peacock
12-02-2006, 2:30 PM
Thank You!!!!!! We are now approaching $600........

keep it coming folks!!! We CAN do this!!!!!! Let's DO IT!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all who have already contributed to Steve Clardy's Shop Fund.

Earl Reid
12-02-2006, 4:48 PM
Check will be in mail tommorow, Dennis

Earl:)

Don Bergren
12-02-2006, 5:16 PM
I'm in via Paypal. Steve is just one of the many members here that I don't know personally, but I still feel that I know him.

Dennis Peacock
12-02-2006, 5:54 PM
Thanks for the donations that I've already received. There are a few more coming in via snail mail and I will tally up the results after another week of waiting for any others that would like to donate to Steve.

Syd Lorandeau
12-02-2006, 6:06 PM
I am in the same boat, can turn the computer on and off but it ends there, give me an address and we can get going on this project, paypal, checks, real money, who cares we need an address.
Syd

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2006, 6:20 PM
Syd.......Check post #17 of this thread....

Here's his snail mail address:

Dennis Peacock
27 Scott Lane
Conway, AR 72032

Thanks for your generosity!

Steve Clardy
12-02-2006, 7:53 PM
Thanks guys.:D

I'm just a little overwhelmed at the moment.
I really don't know quite what to say just yet, but just a HUGE THANKS.
Steve

John Miliunas
12-02-2006, 8:01 PM
Steve, helping each other out is what brings communities together, my friend. Glad to help and let us know if there's anything else we can do! Best of luck with the rebuild! :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2006, 8:06 PM
Steve........I just wished I could help a little more. If I was closer.....I get coffee for you and your sons. Since breaking my back....I don't work above walls anymore. The next time I might be a paraplegic. Good luck and know you are definitely in our thoughts!

Andy Hoyt
12-02-2006, 9:40 PM
Steve just sent me some more pics, and I'm finding it hard to resist the urge to simply jump in the Exploder and head down to Missouri. But from what I gather, he already has the manpower at hand to effect repairs. However, it's also apparent that paying for that to happen will be the most difficult obstacle to deal with. He may or may not have insurance - I don't know; but regardless of the answer to that, I do know that recovering from this will last far longer and cost far more than any settlement might offset.

I know that this is the time of year when we're already burdened with far too many solicitations for a donation to a huge array of worthy causes (and favorite woodworking forums). And I know only too well that this is also the time of year when we struggle to ensure that the holiday season becomes a cherished and spiritual moment in time for the members of our immediate families.

Now I also know that the Bailey Brothers Building & Loan only exists in the movies, but we have an opportunity to prove otherwise. Tonight, he needs two things. He needs your positive good will focused in his direction. And he also needs money to pay for labor, equipment, materials, replacement tools, and god knows what else.

Please take a minute to look at these additional photos and ponder his predicament.

And then dig. Dig Deep.

Demonstrate that we are indeed a community of friends and take care of our own.

51435 51436

51438 51440 51441

Thanks, Andy Hoyt - Creeker

Dennis Peacock
12-02-2006, 10:31 PM
OK....GREAT GOING GANG!!!!!

So far, we've raised $894.00!!!!! :D

I'd like to see at least another $106 come in to make this an even $1,000.

Let's keep'em coming.!!

You Creeker's ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2006, 10:51 PM
You Creeker's ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis........Yes we rock.......in our chairs.......occassionally we nod off.....even more intermittantly we drop our teeth.....and evey once in while we take our canes and make it out to the shop. Would you please quit hammering us about our age and physical habits?:confused: :eek: :D

Steve Ash
12-02-2006, 11:31 PM
I'd like to see at least another $106 come in to make this an even $1,000.

Guys, most of you know what I do for a living, I build structures like Steve has just had the misfortune of losing most of. Building materials are expensive and he is gonna need a bunch of them. Let's not stop at a $1,000.00. Let's not even entertain the idea of what amount we need to get to.....let's all just help a friend in need and give what we all can.

John Miliunas
12-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Guys, most of you know what I do for a living, I build structures like Steve has just had the misfortune of losing most of. Building materials are expensive and he is gonna need a bunch of them. Let's not stop at a $1,000.00. Let's not even entertain the idea of what amount we need to get to.....let's all just help a friend in need and give what we all can.

Awww, come on now, Steve! When have you ever known this community to stop at a given point? :eek: :confused: We've got a bunch of folks out here who most always seem to go "over the top", especially when it comes to helping out a fellow woodworker! Nobody's stopping...We're just building up steam, my friend! :D BTW, you really do look quite sophisticated with those glasses on! :D :cool:

John Miliunas
12-02-2006, 11:57 PM
.....let's all just help a friend in need and give what we all can.

Hey, Banana breath...Dug a little deeper with a bit more via PayPal. Need to keep that boiler stoked, you know! :D

Come on, guys/gals! Put yourself is Steve's shoes: Most of us don't even depend on our shops to put food on the table as he does but, I for one, would be devasted if I lost my hobby shop! And, I think most of us are also aware of how much insurances don't cover at the time of loss! :( I know it's a bit tough for all financially around Christmas and the heating season and all but, 'tis the time for giving, remember? Thanks! :) :cool:

Steve Ash
12-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Hey, Banana breath...

Who you callin Banana Breath, you big ape?

I know the total amount of money that Steve is gonna need to rebuild will likely never be raised by the good people at Family Woodworking and Sawmill Creek forums but it sure would be nice to take some of the sting out of his final costs. If I were to put a estimated cost (guess) on the building materials alone, given what he said he was going to use to rebuild with, not labor, clean up equiptment or machinery damaged I would guess it to be a minimum of $10,000.00

If everyone can give even a little, it all adds up....and remember tis better to give than recieve....especially this time of year.

Frank Chaffee
12-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Reading the several former posts just reinforces my thot that compassion as a human trait is truly preter-Neanderthal… by a long ways, too!!!

Frank Chaffee

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2006, 1:03 AM
Reading the several former posts just reinforces my thot that compassion as a human trait is truly preter-Neanderthal… by a long ways, too!!!

Frank Chaffee

Frank............We don't agree often...........But this time we do!:D

John Bailey
12-03-2006, 1:11 AM
I've said it alot lately, but it bears repeating - Ya'll are AWSOME!!

John

Frank Chaffee
12-03-2006, 1:11 AM
Frank............We don't agree often...........But this time we do!:D
Yeah Ken,
It never ceases to amaze me how floundering souls like us find commonality when waters become turbulent.

Frank Chaffee

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2006, 1:15 AM
Frank.....Are you in Arizona or Wisconsin these days?

And yes I agree with you again.....Tough times will often bring out the best in man and animal. I've seen it with horses, mules, dogs and humans.

Scott Rongey
12-03-2006, 3:00 AM
Just submitted via PayPal.

I'm glad to hear that Steve wasn't hurt. It also reminds me that snow ins't something I usually have to worry about here in San Diego (earthquakes, wildfires and strong winds are enough).

Scott

Dennis Peacock
12-03-2006, 7:22 AM
Thanks again everybody. I've edited my posts to remove the $1K limit....well, it was not an actual limit but a mere "goal" for us to start with.

So far, we are at $1,069.00. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Now...let's keep this going and see exactly how well we can help a fellow woodworker of ours. :D

John Hart
12-03-2006, 7:27 AM
Thanks again everybody. I've edited my posts to remove the $1K limit....well, it was not an actual limit but a mere "goal" for us to start with.

So far, we are at $1,069.00. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Now...let's keep this going and see exactly how well we can help a fellow woodworker of ours. :D

Ever think of taking Jerry Lewis' place at the telethon Mr Peacock? You're doing a fine job at this worthy cause.;) :)

Pete Simmons
12-03-2006, 7:43 AM
Steve - A little help for a quick rebuild.

John Miliunas
12-03-2006, 8:46 AM
Ever think of taking Jerry Lewis' place at the telethon Mr Peacock? You're doing a fine job at this worthy cause.;) :)

Yeah, Dennis! You'd be good at it. :) So, you wanna' take charge of the "John Miliunas 3520b Lathe Fund Drive" too? :D I'll start making room for it right away! :D (jk guys!!!:D ) Carry on, my friend. :) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
12-03-2006, 2:19 PM
Thanks Everyone.

I've received a few more, so now we're at $1,206.00 is my math is correct. Dad-burn it....I'll have to take muh shoes off next. ;)

If you don't wanna hear me sang? Then ya better send in those donations. :rolleyes: :D

John Miliunas
12-03-2006, 2:25 PM
Thanks Everyone.

I've received a few more, so now we're at $1,206.00 is my math is correct. Dad-burn it....I'll have to take muh shoes off next. ;)

If you don't wanna hear me sang? Then ya better send in those donations. :rolleyes: :D

NO!!! Puuuleeeease, not the shoes!!! Oh, the humanity! :eek:

Come on, you're a musician so, the sangin' thing don't scare us! :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2006, 4:08 PM
NO!!! Puuuleeeease, not the shoes!!! Oh, the humanity! :eek:

Come on, you're a musician so, the sangin' thing don't scare us! :D :cool:

Uh John..........He can carry a tune but he has to use 4 buckets...which means he has to take the shoes off anyway...........:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Lee DeRaud
12-03-2006, 4:34 PM
Come on, you're a musician so, the sangin' thing don't scare us! :D :cool:"Musician"?!? I thought he was a bass player?:eek:
(duck and run :cool: )

John Miliunas
12-03-2006, 4:50 PM
"Musician"?!? I thought he was a bass player?:eek:
(duck and run :cool: )

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek! :eek: Uhhhh, Lee, if you start feeling some stabbing pains throughout your body, that's just Dennis practicing with his latest Voodoo doll! :eek: :D :cool:

Bruce Page
12-03-2006, 5:28 PM
$1,206.00!! Way cool, but pleeeeeessseee leave the shoes on!

Jerry Clark
12-03-2006, 8:00 PM
PayPal is on the way-:D - Good luck Steve. Those pictures could make a grown man cry!:mad:

Steve Clardy
12-03-2006, 8:16 PM
Just a quick note everyone.
I'm just so without words here as what to say.
I'd rather be on the giving end, but find myself on the receiving end.
I do appreciate all of this.

Today was a major cleanup day. All the roof is off, removed, except the front 16', which is fairly well intact. It cover my office and such. So we will leave it till the new trusses are up. Then remove the sheeting on it, and go from there.
It's been a hard day. We spent a hour or so just getting the boom truck in place, then another hour of digging snow and tugging to get it on the other side of the shop.
Had some thrilling moments, hearing tin and wood being torn apart, and watching it being lifted off.
The amount of snow we had to remove in the shop was a huge task, along with insulation, broken boards, insulation, conduit, on and on.

We are all just wore out today.
Heres a few shots of todays progress.

Thanks to ALL.

Bruce Page
12-03-2006, 8:35 PM
It's been a hard day. We spent a hour or so just getting the boom truck in place, then another hour of digging snow and tugging to get it on the other side of the shop.
Had some thrilling moments, hearing tin and wood being torn apart, and watching it being lifted off.
The amount of snow we had to remove in the shop was a huge task, along with insulation, broken boards, insulation, conduit, on and on.

We are all just wore out today.
Heres a few shots of todays progress.

Thanks to ALL.
Hang in there Steve. Better days are right around the corner.

Nancy Laird
12-03-2006, 8:36 PM
Steve, I would NOT want to be in your shoes right now. That keening sound you hear is me -- for you. My heart goes out to you and your family. I can't imagine how difficult the rebuild and re-outfitting your shop will be. I'm sending you a PM for some further information to re-outfit your shop.

Dennis, my check goes into the mail tomorrow via snail mail. I trust you'll get it timely.

Nancy

Ben Roman
12-03-2006, 8:47 PM
Count me in for a few 2X4 's and Beers !!

Hope your XMAS gets better.

Ben

Joe Mioux
12-03-2006, 8:51 PM
Steve: I always enjoyed reading your contributions here at SMC... I am in as well, I only wish I could contribute more.
Joe

John Miliunas
12-03-2006, 9:18 PM
Steve, ol' buddy, I can't hardly imagine what you're going through. My heart does indeed go out to you and your family. And, although most of us can't be there with you, please know that, we really are there with you! :) :cool:

Ben Roman
12-03-2006, 9:27 PM
Steve, ol' buddy, I can't hardly imagine what you're going through. My heart does indeed go out to you and your family. And, although most of us can't be there with you, please know that, we really are there with you! :) :cool:
True John.. You hit the nail on the head !! no pun intended :)

Ben

Roy Wall
12-03-2006, 9:46 PM

I'll second that!!!

Hang in there Steve...we are pulling for you my friend!

Dennis Peacock
12-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Thank to the "real Creeker Family" we have so dear to all of our hearts here on SMC....we have collected:

$1,264.00

so far and I am still getting donations. :D
I will be the point man for as long as this takes to gain all the help for Steve we can possibly muster up.

Thank You Fellow Sawmill Creek Members and Guests!!!!!! Your love, generosity, and kindness are felt from around the globe. I hold each of you in very high honors and would be VERY proud to call each of you my friend and family. :cool: :D

Dennis Peacock
12-04-2006, 10:34 AM
As of this morning, we are at

$1,344.00

if my figures are correct. Don't miss out on this opportunity to help a fellow woodworker in his time of need.

Tyler Howell
12-04-2006, 10:55 AM
What in the world:confused: :confused: .
I go away for the weekend and come back to all kinds of termoil!!!
Just when I think the world is coming to and end. Creekers save the day:D:D.
Checks in the mail!!!;)

Nancy Laird
12-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Dennis, Another "Grant" into the mail this morning - you should have before end of the week.

Nancy

Karl Laustrup
12-04-2006, 2:07 PM
What in the world:confused: :confused: .
I go away for the weekend and come back to all kinds of termoil!!!
Just when I think the world is coming to and end. Creekers save the day:D:D.
Checks in the mail!!!;)

You better get another 'puter up there at the new digs so you can stay in touch with the world.

By the way Tyler, I've been meaning to ask where your new place is. Anywhere near Split Rock Lighthouse?

Karl

Dennis Peacock
12-04-2006, 2:26 PM
Currently at:

$1,469.00

Thanks to all who have contributed so far. Keep it coming folks. I'd hate to have to start singing for ya. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Chris Padilla
12-04-2006, 4:38 PM
Wish I could help my "bro" in person but hopefully some green will help him out along the way. :D

Chris

Dennis Peacock
12-04-2006, 5:20 PM
Current standing:

$1,724.00 and counting.

Thank You....is all I can say......You are all wonderful people.

Jerry Olexa
12-04-2006, 5:37 PM
Steve, we are all thinking of you and praying for a complete return to normalcy!! Dennis, check going out in the AM snail mail...

Zahid Naqvi
12-04-2006, 6:04 PM
I was tied up all weekend and just noticed this thread. Steve I hope you get back on your feet soon. Dennis I just wired a little something on PayPal.

Dick Bringhurst
12-04-2006, 6:31 PM
PayPal on the way. Dick B.

Ken Shoemaker
12-04-2006, 6:40 PM
Steve,

Chicago took a hit during that storm, but we all came out ok.... All your freinds, and I hope I can count myself as one, wish you a speedy recovery.

Dennis, snail-mail on the way......

Best of luck...... Ken

Ben Roman
12-04-2006, 7:53 PM
Dennis Where are we at now ?? I figure Steve has saved us all combined at least 2500 or more over the years. Lets keep on rockin !!

Ben

Bob Noles
12-04-2006, 7:54 PM
I rarely ever get time to visit the off topic forum, but for some reason decided to drop down here for a few minutes this evening and saw this thread. Steve is a wonderful SMC friend of mine and I have all the respect in the world for him. This is a very unfortunate event and I want to do my part to help him rebuild as I know he is the kind of guy that would do the same for anyone here or elsewhere.

I just sent Dennis a paypal to help the cause and keep him from singing which would most likely cause us to put our tails between our legs and run :eek: :D

God bless you Steve and here's hoping for a speedy recovery on the shop and roof.

Steve Clardy
12-04-2006, 8:12 PM
A special thanks to Dennis, and ALL my friends here.
I've had a bad day today, but I feel much better now, just reading the posts.
I can't say enough Thanks You's.

Bill Grumbine
12-04-2006, 8:23 PM
Hi Dennis

I just sent you a little something in PayPal.

Bill

PS Are you going to put on your elf suit to deliver all the goodies to Steve? :D

Allen Bookout
12-04-2006, 8:56 PM
Steve,

Unfortunately you have some bad days to look forward to but eventually there will be an end in sight and you deserve the little bit of help that we can give you. I have real pain for you as we are suvivors of a direct hit from Hurricane Charlie a couple of years ago.

I am really proud to be a part of this woodworking community that gives what it can to help out a friend.

Hang in there!!!!!

Allen

Bob Reeve
12-04-2006, 9:47 PM
Steve,

Hang in there, it will soon get better. When you feel low come back here and get a dose of brotherly love.

Dennis, Paypal on the way.

Bob

Dan Forman
12-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Steve---wasn't aware of you situation until just now. Hang in there, this too shall pass. You are a valued member of this community. I've always enjoyed your posts,feel like I know you though we've never met. Looks like a lot of others feel the same way about you.

Dennis---Check will be in the snail mail tomorrow.

Dan

glenn bradley
12-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Steve,

You'll probably catch up with all these posts sometime in the future but know that at the time our thoughts were with you.

Jack Ferrell
12-04-2006, 10:50 PM
I don't really know Steve, but I've read a lot of his posts. Sent a few dollars to ya Dennis and thanks for doing this for Steve. Hang in there Steve. At least these troubled times are only temporary.

Dennis Peacock
12-04-2006, 11:32 PM
As of right now, we have $2,041.64 donated and I'm trying my best to "negotiate" with PayPal to drop the fees they are going to charge me for the money xfers. I will see when I get more communications with them.

John Hart
12-05-2006, 6:12 AM
Dennis...I think you're the real santa.:)
'course...I had to paste Andy's beard on your face...sorry 'bout that!!;) :D

Tim Morton
12-05-2006, 6:13 AM
As of right now, we have $2,041.64 donated and I'm trying my best to "negotiate" with PayPal to drop the fees they are going to charge me for the money xfers. I will see when I get more communications with them.

I thought about that too when this first started...it would be nice if payal had a way to forgo the fee's in a situation like this...or at least reduce them. Good luck with that.:cool: They must be into this for a couple hundred bucks?

John Bailey
12-05-2006, 6:34 AM
They charge me about 2.5% if I recall. That's going to be a little over $300. Hope they can do something.

John

Chuck Hanger
12-05-2006, 7:37 AM
Hi John,
2.5% of $2000 is $50 I think. Do they charge for going and coming also?
Chuck

Kelly C. Hanna
12-05-2006, 8:18 AM
Great to see so much being donated to the cause for Steve! Sure hope you get Paypal to curb the fees.

Those pics break my heart buddy, sure hope you get things back together very soon.

John Bailey
12-05-2006, 8:21 AM
So, now I have the choice - Do I edit my post quickly, or just accept the positive forces of humility? Being the humble man I am, I choose humility. Good one Chuck. (Haven't a clue what I was thinking - you ought to see some of my measurements in my shop.):(

With great humility,

John

John Miliunas
12-05-2006, 8:25 AM
(Haven't a clue what I was thinking - you ought to see some of my measurements in my shop.):(

Hmmm...That could work to your advantage, John. Let's see: You planned on a 10x20 shop and ended up with a 100x20 shop! :D Yeah, that might work! :D :cool:

Bob Childress
12-05-2006, 9:17 AM
Well, late to the party as usual. :o Just noticed this thread. When I was a real newbie Creeker, Steve not only gave me some good advice he took the time to sketch out what he meant, scan it and e-mail it to me so I could use it. The kind of person we all can be proud to call a fellow Creeker.

PayPal sent, Dennis.

Steve, get 'er done buddy. It'll be okay.

Jack Hogoboom
12-05-2006, 10:27 AM
PayPal sent. My best to Steve. I hope he is up and running again soon.

Jack

Scott Coffelt
12-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Hang in there buddy, wishing you a fast recovery so you can get the green backs flowing again. Dennis some more on your way in the paypal account.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Dennis...I think you're the real santa.:)
'course...I had to paste Andy's beard on your face...sorry 'bout that!!;) :D

Here's Dennis doing something kind for another individual and you are being mean................I'll be you beat your horsies too don't you Mr. Hart?

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Good morning everyone,

after going through more paypal donations we are at:

$2,636.64 (minus Paypal fees unless I can convince them to drop them for this one time).

I know that there are more donations coming via snail mail and those that told me how much they were sending, I've added that in to the total so far. Some didn't say how much, so I won't have a complete total until all donations are in.

Keep it coming folks. I'm not tired of doing this and I'm getting more excited every day as we give more to Steve for a very worthy cause.

For those that have donated? THANK YOU!!!!!

BTW, I am ASKING each of you to contact PayPal asking them to wave the fees on this via my PayPal account. I'm fighting to be able to give to Steve EVERY NICKLE that has been donated and dad-burn-it, I ain't given up because I know how to round up some troops!!!! :D

John Miliunas
12-05-2006, 11:29 AM
BTW, I am ASKING each of you to contact PayPal asking them to wave the fees on this via my PayPal account. I'm fighting to be able to give to Steve EVERY NICKLE that has been donated and dad-burn-it, I ain't given up because I know how to round up some troops!!!! :D

Done deal, Dennis. Sent off a note to PP moments ago. I'll let you know if I get any response from them. Thanks again for your efforts with this! :) :cool:

Nancy Laird
12-05-2006, 12:23 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY OFF-TOPIC RANT:

THOSE FEES! are why I refuse to use PayPal--or take credit cards for my business. I figure that if I earn the money, I want all of it, not just a part! Us small business(wo)men get royally messed over with the high fees that credit-card companies (and PayPal) charge. My attorney boss at my day job has quit taking AmEx because they have been taking about 7%. The larger your monthly intake from credit cards, the less the companies will take as fees, but they base your rates on your prior year's volume. No wonder VISA/MC/AmEx etc have so much money--they get it from the people who accept the credit cards, and they get it from the people who use the credit cards (in interest, late fees, over-limit fees, yearly renewals, etc., etc.,)

I think I'm going back to a cash/check business plan!!

And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Nancy

Lars Thomas
12-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Nancy, I certainly understand where you are coming from with your rant, but just as you expect to be compensated for the work you do, so does Visa. They are providing a convenience factor to your customer. Price the surcharge into your products. When someone does pay with cash or equivalent, consider that a bonus.

Roger Fitzsimonds
12-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Late as usual , I have sent a snail maildonation. hang in there Steve we are all pulling for you.

Roger

Lars Thomas
12-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Dennis, I felt the same way about about the paypal fees for the school lathe drive. I didn't think to contact them to get them waived. Great idea! I suspect if you reach the right person, they will be willing to waive the fees. However, I will take care of plan 'B'. If Paypal doesn't cover the fees, I will. Let me know.

Andy Hoyt
12-05-2006, 12:41 PM
..... If Paypal doesn't cover the fees, I will. Let me know. All together now.

Monkey pile on Lars!

Mike Weaver
12-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Dennis, more on the way via PayPal. I've also requested they waive the fees.

Steve, we're with you. I hope you're recovered and making sawdust in no time.

-Mike

John Miliunas
12-05-2006, 1:09 PM
All together now.

Monkey pile on Lars!

HEY!!! Once again, I resemble that remark! :D The rest of you, follow me! :D :cool:

Frank Chaffee
12-05-2006, 1:18 PM
John Miliunas,
Anyone,
What is the best way to contact PayPal with this request? Their phone lines are “experiencing an unusually heavy…”, and there is certainly no “other” option in their “contact us by email” menu.

Help, please.

Frank

Glen Blanchard
12-05-2006, 1:35 PM
My portion sent this morning via PayPal.

John Miliunas
12-05-2006, 1:52 PM
John Miliunas,
Anyone,
What is the best way to contact PayPal with this request? Their phone lines are “experiencing an unusually heavy…”, and there is certainly no “other” option in their “contact us by email” menu.

Help, please.

Frank

Hey Frank,

I went to the PP site and, once at this link: http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact-general I went to "protections/policy/etc." and then chose "User Agreement". Not sure if that's the best place or not but, it made some sense of logic to me. :) :cool:

Frank Chaffee
12-05-2006, 2:26 PM
Thanks John,
It be a done deal now.
Frank

John Miliunas
12-05-2006, 2:31 PM
Thanks John,
It be a done deal now.
Frank

No probs. Hey, that's why I get paid the BIG bucks! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2006, 2:31 PM
Still haven't heard from PayPal about waiving the fees.

As of right now......

$2,686.64 and counting. ;)

Ed Breen
12-05-2006, 3:20 PM
Dennis,
I just asked paypal to relinquish their pound of flesh.
Ed

Ed Breen
12-05-2006, 3:22 PM
Frank,
I used the option of money sent, followed it through 'till I got to a place where I could make the plea and send it under "contact us'.
Ed

Dennis Peacock
12-05-2006, 4:57 PM
Thanks Ed. I appreciate your donation as does Steve.

Steve Clardy
12-05-2006, 8:01 PM
Again as usual, I'm out of words to express my feelings here.

I had a great day also:D

6 trusses built, three are set. On to tomorrow after a nights rest.:)

Thanks again to ALL

Ken Fitzgerald
12-05-2006, 8:03 PM
Git 'er done Steve! Glad you're making progress. Wish I could be there to help you!

John Miliunas
12-05-2006, 8:12 PM
Awright, Steve! That's a note to the positive! :) How's the weather holding up down your way? Bitter, bitter cold up here. :( Best of luck to you, my friend! Like Ken says, "Git 'er done!" :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
12-05-2006, 8:58 PM
Keep on keeping on Steve. Looks like you've got some clear weather at least. :)

Will hope and pray that it stays that way until the rest of those trusses are up and some sheathing is keeping that weather out.

Karl

Lou Morrissette
12-05-2006, 9:09 PM
Way ta go, Steve! Things are looking up. At that rate, she'll be weather tight in no time. Best to ya.

Lou

Roy Wall
12-05-2006, 9:10 PM
Keep on keeping on Steve. Looks like you've got some clear weather at least. :)

Will hope and pray that it stays that way until the rest of those trusses are up and some sheathing is keeping that weather out.

Karl

Ditto on that one!! Looks like we're "precipitation Free" until Monday or Tuesday of next week.....lets hope it can hold off even later. Pretty chilly on TH and Friday this week...

Steve, can you get a roof on by Sunday?

Steve Evans
12-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Late to the thread, hardly ever check the off-topic section. Dennis, my paypal is on it's way. Steve has always struck me as a real gentleman, and it's great to see the community come together to help someone out.

Steve

Dennis Peacock
12-06-2006, 1:15 AM
As of the time of this posting, the donations for Steve's shop is:

$2,741.64..!!!!!

Thanks to everyone that has contributed so far. Holiday blessings to each of you.

John Hart
12-06-2006, 6:10 AM
I am so impressed with the generosity of the fine woodworkers on the Internet. I mean really really impressed. Good luck Steve! Thanks for taking this on Dennis. :)

Karl Laustrup
12-06-2006, 8:38 AM
Clardy, I've been pretty quiet about your plight.......so far, but I can't hold back any longer.

I was saddened when I first read of your shop roof caving in. As has been said, thankfully it happened at a time when you were not in the building. I can fully understand your looking at the devastation that morning and crying. I know how I'd feel and I don't make a living from my tools [I'd be a lot skinny'er if I didhttp://familywoodworking.org/public_html/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif http://familywoodworking.org/public_html/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif ]. I'd probably still be drinking as a matter of fact.

That you have your family to help is a testament to you and who you are as a person. I am in total awe of the combined families of FWW & SMC also. As the Ashman said "It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling" also.

Dennis, we all thank you for taking of your time to head up this most worthy endeavor.

Steve, your perserverance with the shop and then the acrobatics with the truck and trailer would certainly be enough to have one pondering as to whether that black cloud is going to go away or not. From your last pictures I can see that beautiful blue sky. I hope you can get that shop enclosed to avoid any more damage.

I will end this diatribe by saying that if I could I'd be there in a heartbeat to help in anyway I could to get you back in business, as would a whole bunch of other folks at FWW and SMC I'm sure.

Looking forward to your making sawdust very soon.

Karl

P.S. I'm going to post this over at FWW also.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-06-2006, 9:28 AM
Very nice Dennis! Thanks for heading this up for Steve and helping us help him....a very worthy cause for sure.

Chris Padilla
12-06-2006, 6:59 PM
Dennis, I felt the same way about about the paypal fees for the school lathe drive. I didn't think to contact them to get them waived. Great idea! I suspect if you reach the right person, they will be willing to waive the fees. However, I will take care of plan 'B'. If Paypal doesn't cover the fees, I will. Let me know.

I'd be glad to help out with covering the PayPal fees, too. Can I PayPal you the funds to cover the, uh, PayPal fees, and then, uh, ????? :p

;)

Seriously, I'd like to help out with the fees as well. This one could be a snail mail good old-fashioned check.

Dennis Peacock
12-06-2006, 7:28 PM
Sure Chris. Your money spends good here as well. :D

Thanks bud for being willing to help out. Blessings to you and your family.

Lars Thomas
12-06-2006, 8:31 PM
Dennis, once you hear back from PP (or if you don't for a few days), how about you PM Chris and I the amount of fees and we will make sure they get covered in their entirety.

Steve Clardy
12-06-2006, 9:49 PM
Thanks All!!!!:D
[ Where's the thumbs up I smilie:confused: ;) :D ]

All trusses are UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to my Wife for cooking for the crew, cleaning up, and helping out wherever She can.:D :D :cool: :D

Steve Clardy
12-06-2006, 9:52 PM
Couple more pics. I gotta get turned in. I'm wore slap out from today.

Lars Thomas
12-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Coming along nicely. Lars

Zahid Naqvi
12-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Steve if this hasn't been brought up yet, I saw a note in my email about FWW having a tool give away for a deserving candidate. I can't think of anyone who deserves it more than you do at this time. Here's the URL, perhaps something good will come out of this.
http://www.taunton.com/contests/winashop/

Steve Clardy
12-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Steve if this hasn't been brought up yet, I saw a note in my email about FWW having a tool give away for a deserving candidate. I can't think of anyone who deserves it more than you do at this time. Here's the URL, perhaps something good will come out of this.
http://www.taunton.com/contests/winashop/

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll look it up;)

Dennis Peacock
12-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Good to see you around Steve. :D

Dennis Peacock
12-06-2006, 11:18 PM
OK....I'm staring to get the snail-mail checks in. I won't post another total until Friday evening of this week so I can have some time to add things up for a current status by that time.

Thanks for your patience and THANK YOU for your kind and generous donations.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-07-2006, 6:56 AM
Lookin' good Steve! Those trusses look like they will handle a good size load!!

Steve Clardy
12-07-2006, 7:30 PM
Lookin' good Steve! Those trusses look like they will handle a good size load!!

Yes. My son James called his truss manf. and had them spec'ed.
Then He beefed up the bottom with 2x10's instead of the 2x8's the truss co. said to use.
These are some stout buggers.

Jim Becker
12-07-2006, 8:52 PM
Steve, I think you're doing a good thing putting in those stout trusses given everything being open and the reason for it. Whatever extra that costs will likely be worth it in the long run. Sometimes adversity also brings opportunity.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks All!!!!:D
[ Where's the thumbs up I smilie:confused: ;) :D ]

All trusses are UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to my Wife for cooking for the crew, cleaning up, and helping out wherever She can.:D :D :cool: :D

Great looking trusses Steve! Sounds like you have a good woman standing with you too!

Jerry Olexa
12-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Looking good, Steve. The trusses look extra strong!!

Kelly C. Hanna
12-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Excellent....you'll have no worries with that roof.

Mike Weaver
12-08-2006, 4:55 PM
Frank,
I used the option of money sent, followed it through 'till I got to a place where I could make the plea and send it under "contact us'.
Ed

That's what I did.

BTW, I just received a note frm paypal saying they hadn't had time to respond to my inquiry (that was several days old).

I'll update the group if I get anything more.
-Mike
PS Steve thanks for the update & we're ALL pulling for you.

Rob Blaustein
12-08-2006, 5:41 PM
Oy vay, as my grandmother used to say. I'm only seeing this now. Steve, you are a tireless contributor to this forum and have helped me out several times. I hope my small contribution can help you out. Best of luck!
-Rob

Sparky Paessler
12-08-2006, 6:03 PM
Steve

Glad to see things going back together. I hope this cold snap isn't slowing you down too much. Glad we could help out a little.

Jim Dunn
12-09-2006, 9:15 AM
Snail mail sent this date. Hang in there Steve. I'm sure with your talent you'll have everything up and running in no time.

Look on the bright side, your $1,000,000 didn't sink at Lake of the Ozarks:eek:

larry merlau
12-09-2006, 4:57 PM
I am so impressed with the generosity of the fine woodworkers on the internet. I mean really really impressed. Good luck Steve! Thanks for taking this on Dennis. :)

well i to am impressed with what smc has done but i feel that we need to realize that others too have contributed to steve's aid. this is being done outa just good ole unselfishness fer someone in a time of need. so lets say hip hip horrah fer smc and all others that are on the the same page to help a woodworker in need.

Steve Clardy
12-09-2006, 6:59 PM
Thanks all. I really appreciate all of this.:D

Have most of the tin sheeting on. 5 1/2 more sheets, ridge cap and end caps, and it will be rain proof:D

Now I have to get some lights up. Sure is dark in here;) :D :D

Dennis Peacock
12-09-2006, 7:43 PM
Total so far: $3,348.64

PayPal Fees Charged: ($104.56)

Total Net Donations to date: $3,244.08

I know that more are coming in the next few days, so I will update you once again as I get more donations.

Donations were received from several different forums as well as some that aren't a member of any forum, but heard about Steve's trouble and just wanted to help.

Thanks once again to ALL of You for the donations to help Steve Clardy.!!!!!

Lars Thomas
12-09-2006, 11:30 PM
Dennis, any word from Paypal on covering the fees? Lars

Dennis Peacock
12-10-2006, 7:11 AM
Dennis, any word from Paypal on covering the fees? Lars

Nope, I'm assuming that they are just ignoring me as I got a canned email saying they were too busy. :mad:

John Miliunas
12-10-2006, 8:39 AM
Nope, I'm assuming that they are just ignoring me as I got a canned email saying they were too busy. :mad:

Yup, add me to the list of folks who got that one, as well.:mad:

Kelly C. Hanna
12-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Paypal is now owned and operated by ebay, so I bet it faslls on deaf ears. Shame that most big companies are heartless.

Keith Outten
12-10-2006, 1:19 PM
I hear that Google is getting ready to come out with a PayPal service of their own soon.

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 1:46 PM
I hear that Google is getting ready to come out with a PayPal service of their own soon.

It's already up and running...

Steve Clardy
12-10-2006, 3:11 PM
Just a quick update.
As of 1:00 today, roof is on:D
Let er rain;) :D

Rain is supposed to be coming this way.
I'll probably have a seep or two probably. Missed screws.
If is does rain, this will let me know where, before I get the ceiling and insulation all in.

Off to find some light fixtures, wiring, and some heavy duty shop cleaning.
And some much needed rest.

Brett Baldwin
12-10-2006, 3:58 PM
Good to hear Steve. Its nice to get that tested out before the finishes go on.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2006, 4:29 PM
That Clardy bunch sure knows how to

Get 'er Done!

Congrats Steve and family and friends! WELL DONE!

Dennis Peacock
12-10-2006, 6:56 PM
Just a quick update.
As of 1:00 today, roof is on:D
Let er rain;) :D

No pics.......didn't happen. ;) :D

Steve Clardy
12-10-2006, 7:31 PM
No pics.......didn't happen. ;) :D

Ok. Don't call Tyler in.:eek:
Here they are.

Steve Clardy
12-10-2006, 7:33 PM
more...............

John Miliunas
12-10-2006, 7:52 PM
Holy smokes, Steve! Hard to believe that it's just been a bit over a week since the tragedy! Man, you guys kicked some serious butt, there! :) Well done, my friend and, I hope you don't need to deal w/too many missed screws. (Been there, done that. Didn't like it!:mad: ) Now, go get some rest. :) :cool:

Steve Clardy
12-10-2006, 8:07 PM
I walked around looking up for several minutes looking for peep holes, since its kinda on the dark side in here now.
I didn't spot anything:D
Rain is supposed to be here tomorrow night according to the forecast. That will let me check it real good before the ceiling goes up.
We don't need any rain right now, as the ground is saturated now with the snow, ice melting.

Dennis Peacock
12-10-2006, 8:21 PM
Looks GREAT Steve.!!!!! Glad to see ya pretty much in the "dry" now. Congrats and get ya some rest buddy.

Zahid Naqvi
12-10-2006, 11:29 PM
the Clardy crew is kicking some serious a**, great job Steve, you'll be up and running in no time.

John Hart
12-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Rock-n-roll! Nice going Steve!:)

Karl Laustrup
12-11-2006, 7:04 AM
That roof covering your shop is about the prettiest thing I've seen in a while Clardy. :) Hoping you don't have any drips when it rains.

Looks like you've got some firewood there amongst all that mangled tin. Should keep the shop warm for awhile. :D

You need a rest for a day or so before you start the final phase of reconstruction. You and the boys deserve it.

Take care.

Karl

Kelly C. Hanna
12-11-2006, 7:26 AM
You guys aren't messin' around over there!! Looks dang good Steve!

larry merlau
12-11-2006, 7:43 AM
well i to am impressed with what smc has done but i feel that we need to realize that others too have contributed to steve's aid. this is being done outa just good ole unselfishness fer someone in a time of need. so lets say hip hip horrah fer smc and all others that are on the the same page to help a woodworker in need.

i am going to try and clarify my post! it has been brought to my attention that it doesnt read the way i meant it! first i want to apologize to john hart if he took offense to this. i wasnt knocking john hart. i was just tryin to clarify that others, besides smc members were helpin out the cause and felt that they should get some credit. so if i have offended anyone please accept my apolgy. but in my defense, i feel everyone deserves credit for what they do and i feel the corrections made in the posts were good dennis and i do appreciate the time and effort you are giving towards this cause.

Jerry Olexa
12-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Steve, you've made the best of a bad situation AND you've moved Very Quickly!!!! Great progress...

Don Orr
12-11-2006, 8:36 PM
Sorry to get in on this so late, but better late than never. Good to see things progressing quickly in the rebuilding.

Small PayPal donation going in tonight.

Take care,

Steve Clardy
12-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks again to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No updates on the shop for yesterday. I spent the better part of yesterday running around trying to get the best deals possible on wiring.
I brought home a small pile of Gold that looks very similiar to copper wiring.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Steve;) :D

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Good Morning. Here's the newest total I have:

Total so far: $3,403.64

Still got a little more coming via snail mail and I will update again later this week. As of right now, I will transfer the money to my personal bank account, cut a cashier's check to Steve and send it to him via Priority Mail. I want to be able to send him a check by no later than this coming Saturday.

Thanks again for everyone's willingness to jump in and donate for a friend and fellow woodworker. It is greatly appreciated.

Steve Clardy
12-12-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm not good with expressing my gratitude on a keyboard. A writer I am not.
I'm at a loss for the words to tell everyone of the appreciation I am feeling right now

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Steve..........it's because of the advice you've given to many.....and your humble nature is why folks wanted to help out! Speaking for myself no thanks is necessary. You've got a lot of friends you probably didn't realize!

Karl Laustrup
12-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm at a loss for the words to tell everyone of the appreciation I am feeling right now

Clardy, I don't think any of us is looking for gratitude. All we want to see is you back in your shop making a living.

Personally, I feel very grateful I was able to offer some monetary assistance. Wish it could have been more and wish I could have gotten down there to help with getting the shop back together.

Karl

Glenn Clabo
12-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Just get back to doing what you do best Steve...that's good nuf for me.

John Miliunas
12-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, what Glenn said! :D As for the "Thanks"...Hey, what goes around, comes around. :) :cool:

Steve Clardy
12-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Yeah, what Glenn said! :D As for the "Thanks"...Hey, what goes around, comes around. :) :cool:

Thanks for the words, encouragement, and the money.

John. What has happened to your face:eek: ;) :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 12:53 PM

He forgot to shave this morning!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

John Bailey
12-12-2006, 12:58 PM

Couldn't have "keyboarded" it better myself. No thanks really needed, just get up and running. You've been a stalwart around here, and watching you and yours tackling adversity has been inspirational. So, thank you sir.

John

John Hart
12-12-2006, 1:07 PM
...John. What has happened to your face:eek: ;) :D

His knuckles have been dragging the ground so long that it finally spread to his face!:)

Steve Clardy
12-12-2006, 1:12 PM
Steve, you've made the best of a bad situation AND you've moved Very Quickly!!!! Great progress...

Thanks!!

Responding to this post as theres some kind of page error, I can't view the latest posts now.:confused: :)

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2006, 1:15 PM
Hey Steve - here's one more donation for you. Wear it in the spirit in which it's tendered.

John Miliunas
12-12-2006, 1:26 PM

I had a cranial/rectal inversion??? :eek: :D :cool:

Barry Stratton
12-12-2006, 1:28 PM
I'm glad to see you making such great progress Steve.

The true nature of a man comes out when they deal with the "bad" life throws at them. You sir are one heck of a good man!

Hope to see dust flying by Christmas!

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2006, 1:31 PM
Hey Steve - here's one more donation for you. Wear it in the spirit in which it's tendered.

Hey Andy......you better put a nice beard on that pic for Clardy. He ain't smooth faced ya know. :p :D

Steve Clardy
12-12-2006, 1:42 PM
Lol.

Yea Andy. I need a beard so the dogs will still figure out who I am.;)

I can see all the posts now.:confused: Cyber bug I guess:eek: :)

Steve Clardy
12-12-2006, 1:45 PM

Wooee. Sounds bad John:eek: ;)
Is that a medical condition or some bug you picked up:confused: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 2:00 PM
I'm not a medical expert....but I think John's problem is genetic.....

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2006, 2:10 PM
No extra charge for the upgrade.

larry merlau
12-12-2006, 2:23 PM
i think i got an answer fer ya steve:) you mentioned not being able to show those your gratitude from tham .. well fer me i dount ned anythng ethr but fer some of the others what about shavin yur beard like the have school teachers do or coaches for there apprecaitin. as fer the dogs not knwin who ya are well ya feed them and they will like ya jist th same:D :) sorry jist had t get in a jab work is over time to grin again

Nancy Laird
12-12-2006, 3:00 PM
Clardy, I don't think any of us is looking for gratitude. All we want to see is you back in your shop making a living.

Personally, I feel very grateful I was able to offer some monetary assistance. Wish it could have been more and wish I could have gotten down there to help with getting the shop back together.

Karl

Steve, I have to "ditto" Karl's thoughts. David and I have a philosophy--what goes around comes around--and I'd like to think that we would see help of this sort if something happened to our shop. You have been in our thoughts during this entire ordeal. Bless you and your family, and try to have happy holidays.

Nancy

Dick Bringhurst
12-12-2006, 3:32 PM
John - Congratulations! Not often those procedures are that successfull.

Sreve - Really sorry for your disaster, but you're living proof that hard work pays off. Dick B.

Zahid Naqvi
12-12-2006, 4:10 PM

You must have had a good doctor, you look even better than you did before the surgery ;) ;) :eek:

Steve Clardy
12-12-2006, 4:14 PM
No extra charge for the upgrade.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Steve Clardy
12-12-2006, 4:18 PM
i think i got an answer fer ya steve:) you mentioned not being able to show those your gratitude from tham .. well fer me i dount ned anythng ethr but fer some of the others what about shavin yur beard like the have school teachers do or coaches for there apprecaitin. as fer the dogs not knwin who ya are well ya feed them and they will like ya jist th same:D :) sorry jist had t get in a jab work is over time to grin again

Lol. Back in about 1986 I shaved er off for a couple of weeks.

First thing out of the house that morning, headed to work, the dog bite me.:mad: :o ;)

Then I got to work, around the coffee pot where we gathered before I assigned work sheets to the guys, No one knew me:confused: :confused: :confused: for about 5 minutes:)

After two weeks I remembered how much I hate shaving every day, so I grew it back

Jerry Olexa
12-12-2006, 4:19 PM
You must have had a good doctor, you look even better than you did before the surgery ;) ;) :eek:

John and I both resemble that remark!!!:D :) I'll also have a new avatar shortly (once the surgery is completed:) and bandages come off:D )

Don Bergren
12-12-2006, 7:24 PM
Steve, don't shave the beard.

John, GROW A BEARD QUICK!! :D

Joseph N. Myers
12-13-2006, 10:35 PM
PAYPAL on the way. Best of luck!!!

Regards, Joe

Dennis Peacock
12-14-2006, 6:02 PM
Just wanted to let everyone here know that I'm still getting donations for Steve. I'll do my best to provide you an new total by tomorrow night.

Thank YOU for all your generosity!!!!!

Dennis Peacock
12-14-2006, 8:41 PM
Sorry, but I was just too excited to wait and wanted to update everyone.

Here is the total as of today, 14 Dec 2006:

Total Donations: $3,558.64

PayPal Fees: ($104.56)

Total Net Donations: $3,454.08

Woodworkers ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to each of you for your generosity towards Steve!!!!!

John Miliunas
12-14-2006, 9:06 PM
First and foremost, woodworkers are THE best!!! :D Secondly, some of you might like to take a peek at post #51 on this thread. Me thinks we're doing OK! :) Lastly, for Zahid, Dick and the rest of you wondering, yes, I had a GREAT surgeon! For some odd reason, I seem to keep a roll of TP around when I eat, but otherwise, all is good! :D :cool:

Steve Clardy
12-14-2006, 10:08 PM
:eek: :D:D :D :D ;)

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2006, 8:55 PM
Here is the total as of today, 15 Dec 2006:

Total Donations: $3,608.64

PayPal Fees: ($104.56)

Total Net Donations: $3,504.08

Woodworkers ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to each of you for your generosity towards Steve!!!!!

Steve Clardy
12-15-2006, 9:33 PM
I need to find me a BIG thumbs up smilie somewhere.

Thanks to all again. You are all a fine bunch of people:D :D :D :D :D

Todays shop update. No pics, I'm too tired.

All interior sidewall sheeting is repaired.
About a fourth of the ceiling joists are up, along with 20 sheets of osb on the ceiling. Only 60 more sheets to go.
Also have all the lighting up and working on this side.:D This is where my benches and main machinery goes.
We did this side first so I can concentrate on getting everything hooked back up and possibly working on cabinets Monday.
I am seriously behind now, but my customers are very understanding so far.
Tomorrow, more ceiling will go up, more lights, overhead wiring drops, air drops.
I can do the last 1/4 of the ceiling as time permits.

Thanks

Steve

John Miliunas
12-15-2006, 9:57 PM
I need to find me a BIG thumbs up smilie somewhere.

Thanks to all again. You are all a fine bunch of people:D :D :D :D :D

Thanks

Steve

Hey Steve...Best I could come up with on short notice: :D :cool:

Steve Clardy
12-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Thats just about the right size there John.;) ;) ;)

Steve:D

Andy Hoyt
12-15-2006, 10:14 PM
I dunno, John. The advice you used to give (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=43834&d=1154544894) with hand signals was a whole lot more fun.

Steve Clardy
12-15-2006, 10:16 PM
I dunno, John. The advice you used to give (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=43834&d=1154544894) with hand signals was a whole lot more fun.

Saving that one:D

John Miliunas
12-15-2006, 10:36 PM

"Hand signals"??? Andy, Andy, Andy....You know I'm a geeky propeller-head! That's just the latest and greatest Palm Pilot, dontchya' know! :D :cool:

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Good Morning everyone. Today is the day that I'm closing the donation drive. I've not received anything via snail mail or PayPal in a day or so and I feel it's time to close this chapter in our book, deposit the checks, transfer the PayPal donations, allow everything to clear the bank.......And send Steve a Cashier's Check for the total balance.

Note: If you have volunteered to pay the PayPal fees or help pay the Pay Pal fees of $104.56, Please let me know ASAP so that I may include that part in the sending check to Steve. You may PayPal it to me, just include enough to cover the PayPal fee. ;)

I'll post a final "sending to Steve" total once everything clears the bank.

Once again......

Great Thanks to each of you for your spirit of kindness and generosity towards a fellow woodworker that needed our help, Steve Clardy.

May each of you be highly blessed and prosperous in the up and coming new year. Peace, Health and Happiness to all of you and your families.

John Hart
12-19-2006, 11:04 AM
I'd like to say that you are a fine person for heading this up Dennis. A lot of work done selflessly. :)

John Miliunas
12-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Dennis, another job well done! :) I too would like to extend my thanks to all those who helped to take care of a fellow woodworker in his time of need! All you folks ROCK!!! :D :cool:

Karl Laustrup
12-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Getting a warm and fuzzy feeling again. Thanks to all who have given to help Clardy. What a great community this is. :cool: :)

Thanks Dennis for giving of your time to co-ordinate this for Clardy. :)

Karl

John Bailey
12-19-2006, 2:39 PM
Super job Dennis, and Steve, the progress you've made is amazing. Hope everything is up and running soon.

John

Steve Clardy
12-19-2006, 5:18 PM
Thanks ALL!!
I'll try and post pics tonight.

I am working today!! On a Vanity, instead of the SHOP:D

Still a lot to do to shop.

Glenn Clabo
12-19-2006, 5:21 PM

Now...that's ALL I wanted to hear. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Steve!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2006, 5:30 PM
Thanks ALL!!
I'll try and post pics tonight.

Still a lot to do to shop.

First Dale's posting again....and now Clardy is making sawdust that doesn't pertain to the walls or roof on his shop....and I'm on vacation and turning.......LIFE IS GOOD!:)

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2006, 5:40 PM
First Dale's posting again....and now Clardy is making sawdust that doesn't pertain to the walls or roof on his shop....and I'm on vacation and turning.......LIFE IS GOOD!:)

Can't get much better-n-nat hugh Ken. :D :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-19-2006, 5:43 PM
Nope! It sure doesn't...........but once in a while......:D

Bruce Page
12-19-2006, 8:37 PM
I'd like to say that you are a fine person for heading this up Dennis. A lot of work done selflessly. :)
Amen to that!
Dennis, its people like you, that aren’t afraid to get off of their duff and do something, that make this world a better place!

Thanks for all of your hard work and valuable time.

Steve Clardy
12-19-2006, 9:26 PM
Heres some pics from the 15th.
Ceiling, lights, etc.

Steve Clardy
12-19-2006, 9:28 PM
Few more from the 15th, 16th

Steve Clardy
12-19-2006, 9:44 PM
Spent the better part of yesterday setting up machinery and hooking up.
Did some cleanup on them, rust on table surfaces, etc.
My 20" planer took a hit on the infeed table roller support.
It can be fixed later. It did crack the casting on the underneath side of the bed, but won't be a problem.

Today while the oldest son finished up the overhead wiring, I cleaned out my 16x16 finish room where we moved a lot of stuff to be out of the weather. We really crammed a lot of stuff in there. I finally got it all moved out, and cleaned up.

Table saw rear rail got slightly bent, but straightened right out.
The roll stand I had under it got bent pretty bad, so I just removed it.
Got it set in place and checked table saw fence alignment, and it was ok.

Got started repairing a 8' vanity I had started previous to mother nature job on my shop. It broke a support leg. I went to rip a 12' oak board for the toe kick, and decided I really needed a outfeed table SOON.
My previous one got squashed by the shop roof.
So I got out some scrap 2 by's ans a sheet of osb and made a temporary one.

All and all We had a good day.:)
I quit about 8:00, and can't hardly move now. Stiff and sore.
Tomorrow I will continue on this cabinet job, and Charles will continue working on the ceiling.

Outside cleanup is ongoing. Snow is melting, and some of the debris, insulation, wood, nails, etc keeps showing up and the wind blows it everywhere.:o

Steve:)

John Miliunas
12-19-2006, 10:18 PM
While not ideal working conditions, I'm sure, I still bet it felt good to be making sawdust again! :D Great progress, Steve and I sincerely hope you can make it into the New Year with a more positive outlook on the coming year. :) Best of luck to you, my friend and, be sure to continue posting updates! :) :cool:

Jim O'Dell
12-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Steve, it's really good to see the progress, and your ability to get back to revenue producing work. Have a great Christmas, count your blessings (your family being #1 in this respect), and plan for a great 2007! Oh....and tell your boys that everyone here at SMC think they are The BEST!!! Jim.

John Hart
12-19-2006, 10:57 PM
It's funny Steve....In this disaster, it would have been easy to say, "what a bunch of bad luck". But when I see what you and your friends and family have risen to, and accomplished in such a little time....I gotta say you're the luckiest man on earth. Congratulations for gettin' it done. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-20-2006, 1:42 AM
Steve..........John Hart knows this because I've talked with him. When I was young I was dirt poor. When I received "The Bomb" I felt guilty as one could and somewhat embarrassed!.....Then I was told that I had a lot of friends here at SMC and I shouldn't be embarrassed that friends wanted to do something for me! You have a lot of friends here too Steve! I know I don't have to tell you that! And my friend......You shouldn't be embarrassed that Friends wanted to help you in your time of need! And Dad based on what you've told us....I'd say you and Mom did a fine job raising those Clardy boys too! Enjoy and since starting Saturday morning I won't be on the computer for a week or so..........Count your blessings Steve! Have a Merry Christmas!

larry merlau
12-20-2006, 7:32 AM
......You shouldn't be embarrassed that Friends wanted to help you in your time of need! And Dad based on what you've told us....I'd say you and Mom did a fine job raising those Clardy boys too! Enjoy and since starting Saturday morning I won't be on the computer for a week or so..........Count your blessings Steve! Have a Merry Christmas![/QUOTE]

i agree with ken 100% when things like this occur you find out quickly who is and who isnt. and i also want to commend you and the misses on doing a bang up job on raisin your kids. when they come outa the woodwork at a moments notice and drop there own things without hesitation that speaks volumes..alot of kids would find excuses and become to busy.. great job and great family.. you are truly a inspiration to us all!/// yur furry cuzin

and the beard shavin well i tried it in 85 and had a similar expeirnce..will have to tell ya the tail when i drop by..

Karl Laustrup
12-20-2006, 8:39 AM
Wow!! Making sawdust again. That is sweeeeet. So glad to see that.

Remember that your gonna lose a day or so pretty quick. ;) Hopefully the sleigh and reindeer are ready. :D Perhaps you could enlist some help from that other bearded wonder in Michigan? :confused: :eek: :D

Karl

Roy Wall
12-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Steve..........John Hart knows this because I've talked with him. When I was young I was dirt poor. When I received "The Bomb" I felt guilty as one could and somewhat embarrassed!.....Then I was told that I had a lot of friends here at SMC and I shouldn't be embarrassed that friends wanted to do something for me! You have a lot of friends here too Steve! I know I don't have to tell you that! And my friend......You shouldn't be embarrassed that Friends wanted to help you in your time of need! And Dad based on what you've told us....I'd say you and Mom did a fine job raising those Clardy boys too! Enjoy and since starting Saturday morning I won't be on the computer for a week or so..........Count your blessings Steve! Have a Merry Christmas!

What a great statement! And just like John Hart and Larry M. have recently said....these things are true!

Yes Steve - you are loved and have many GOOD friends. You have just experienced something that was certainly Bad...but family and friendships have turned it into a good thing. The Labor HAS, IS, AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE HARD - but the rewards are GREATER.

I think there will be awesome Christmas at the Clardy house this year...and not because of any gifts or presents:)

Steve Clardy
12-20-2006, 8:48 PM
Ken. I sure do understand the embarrasing part.

I'm one to do for myself, no matter what.

So this is very overwhelming for me.

Todays update.

I finished up my new plywood rack this morning and got some of my sheeting moved into it. Still a bunch to move into it. I think it's going to be full:confused: . I made it 6' wide. I think I should have made it 7-8' wide:o

Also finished my temp outfeed table for my saw. 4x8'

Charles steadily worked on the ceiling joists and osb sheeting. He would get a few joists up, and either my wife or me would help get the sheeting up. Then I would go back to working on a vanity.

Back corner above my solid stock lumber rack is going to be fun getting the ceiling up. Notice I have lumber piled higher than the trusses, so some of it will have to be moved. Where, I have no idea yet.
Charles got the framing done for the future attic ladder. It won't get purchased, installed for quite some time. I'll just sheet it over for now.
Framing material, metal sheeting, wiring costs, is a big load for now. So I will do the ladder and some other stuff at a later date.

Next after the ceiling is done, is to get the area above, around my stove flue pipe boxed in.

We quit early this evening about 7:00
We are all wore completely out. My feet and ankles are swollen up from wearing unsupporting snow boots for ten days, and being on a ladder for most of the last 20 days.