PDA

View Full Version : Help pick my BIG bandsaw

Dan Lautner
12-01-2006, 5:24 PM
I'm looking to buy a bandsaw for resawing and ripping various hardwoods and the ability to buy rough lumber. I have a 14" J/P as well as a festool saw with a 10' guide rail. I have single phase power and have eliminated all saws under 4 HP. I’m looking at bandsaws 20" and up due to wheel size, table size and mass. I want a min resaw height of 14" to match my J/P. The Agazzani B-24 for around $3000 and local pick up is at the top of my list. Second on my list is the Bridgewood PBS-540 that would run me $2800 delivered on sale. I'm looking forward to years of slicing exotic hardwood like butter. Any help deciding or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

John Bailey
12-01-2006, 6:06 PM
Dan,

You've pick two of the best. Flip a coin, or pick a colour and go get it quick before you change your mind.

John

John Renzetti
12-01-2006, 6:18 PM
Hi Dan, Get the B-24 Agazanni. I have the Agazanni Rapid 600 on order from Adwood in NC. I'll pick it up at the mid Atlantic Machinery show in April. It's about identical to the B-24 with a few differences like the paint job and the electronic controls. The PBS-540 is a real nice saw. It's about the same as the Felder FB-540 and the Laguna (ACM) LT-20. The PBS 540 sale price is great, but that $450 shipping charge from PA to CA really reduces the cost/benefit ratio.
take care,
John

Todd Solomon
12-01-2006, 6:25 PM
I'm with John, shipping from Wilke is pretty nuts to CA. A while back, I priced a Bridgewood 12" jointer out, and was all excited until I got the dissappointment of shipping.

The Agazzani is a sweet machine. I'd take a hard look at the Mini Max MM20 and Laguna, as well. The MM20 can be ordered with 20" resaw (as I think the Laguna 20" can), and is quite a nice machine for resaw. You may not need a 24" saw, some of the 20s are downright stout. I like the Laguna's new fence on their 24" too- easy adjustment for blade drift and some other nice refinements. I can speak to MM's quality, as I've got an MM16. But there's quite a loyal following on the Agazzanis and Lagunas too.

Good luck, and enjoy your new beast!

Todd

Dan Lautner
12-01-2006, 7:13 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I know Minimax makes nice stuff as I have the FS35 j/p. The Aggi and the Bridgewood seemed to offer more bang for the buck at around $3000. All three of the saws have large motors but the Aggi has a lrager table and wheel diam. The only plus I see on the minimax is the 20" resaw vrs the 16.75" on the Aggi. I only have a 14" jointer so is this an issue? My only other concern is that Eagle Tools is not a huge company so long term support could be an issue. Any othe advice about fences, guide bearings, tables, motors? Thanks again for all the help.

Dan

Dan Lautner
12-01-2006, 7:16 PM
John, what are the electronic controlls all about? I love the look of the b-24. How much would that saw cost me?

thanks, Dan

Chuck Nickerson
12-01-2006, 7:34 PM
The bulk of their trade is with industrial folks. They deal with us woodworkers because Jesse is also a woodworker.

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 8:19 PM
Eagle Tools is a stable outfit as far as I know and have been out there for a long time. If the Aggi gets the nod, then they are the right place to buy. (Mark Singer says a lot of nice things about them) But the MM20 is a great machine...and since you are already a customer, you might be able to get a very nice deal from them. Talk to your sales rep, whomever that is, to see what they can do.

Alan Turner
12-01-2006, 8:22 PM
My only other concern is that Eagle Tools is not a huge company so long term support could be an issue.
Dan
I have the Aggi 20" and Jesse is a stand up guy. I still buy blades form him. I would not shy away from him at all.

Joe Mioux
12-01-2006, 8:34 PM
Just out of curiosity.... You want a saw with greater than 4 hp and at least 14 inch resaw capacity, your J/P is 14 inches.

The MM16 has both and is around $600 less than the 20 inch Aggi or bw.

According to your requirements that little mm16 fits your needs.

Why are you ruling that BS out?

Joe

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 8:37 PM
Hm....good point, Joe!

Joe Mioux
12-01-2006, 8:42 PM
Thanks Jim! :)

John Renzetti
12-01-2006, 9:32 PM
John, what are the electronic controlls all about? I love the look of the b-24. How much would that saw cost me?

thanks, Dan

Hi Dan, The Rapide 600 and the other Agazzani bandsaws sold by Adwood in NC is just slightly different than the B-24 Jesse at Eagle sells. The main difference is in the blade braking. I believe the B-24 has a friction foot brake while the Rapide uses an electronic braking that I believe stops the blade in less than 10 seconds, which is the CE requirement. Somebody who has looked at both said the Rapide had a nicer paint job and finish. There's a couple of other minor details. I believe the price is about the same. At the IWF Adwood had the Rapide for a little less than the B-24. Shipping would be the big factor. But I know guys on the East coast that have bought from Jesse at Eagle and were very pleased.
take care,
John

Dan Lautner
12-01-2006, 9:57 PM
Joe, I have heard only good things about the mm16. The price difference for me between the MM16 and the B-24 would be $700 (after shipping). So for $700 I am getting 120 more lbs of mass, a much larger table and 8" larger wheel diameter. I think for me that might be the better value. Does the wheel diameter make a big difference in cut quality or blade life? I have very little experience with bansaws but I don't want to have any regrets later on. Now tell me I'm right so I can go pick this baby up and post some gloat picts.

Dan

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Dan, bigger wheels "can" help with blade life, particularly with the thicker resaw blades like the TriMaster.

Joe Mioux
12-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Dan:

I can not argue that a larger BS will have a larger table.

Another advantage is a 20" will have a larger throat.

I don't think you would have any greater need to crank down (and tension) more than a MM16's capacity.

Remember also, that with larger wheels your blades are also going to be more expensive.

I know, its a tough decision. Any 20" BS you buy, with regards to your narrowed down brands, will make you happy. they are all good.

I was just going with the parameters you set in your initial post.

Joe

Roy Wall
12-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Joe, I have heard only good things about the mm16. The price difference for me between the MM16 and the B-24 would be $700 (after shipping). So for $700 I am getting 120 more lbs of mass, a much larger table and 8" larger wheel diameter. I think for me that might be the better value. Does the wheel diameter make a big difference in cut quality or blade life? I have very little experience with bansaws but I don't want to have any regrets later on. Now tell me I'm right so I can go pick this baby up and post some gloat picts.

Dan

I agree with your first choice of the B-24.....for $700 more (over the MM16) ........I would get the Agazzani (IMHO).

Kevin Brown
12-02-2006, 8:52 AM
MM has just about every tool on sale right now :)

John Callahan
12-02-2006, 9:36 AM
Fwiw check out the MM website- they're having their year end blowout- ends Dec. 29. They've dropped the price $500 on the MM24, $400 on the MM20, and $300 on the MM16.

Mike Wilkins
12-04-2006, 9:48 AM
Since you are in the state of CA, why not take a look at Laguna. No one here mentioned them, or the fact that shipping from a CA based business to a CA based address would be considerably less. The Aggi machines are tops in a lot of folks' books, but so is Laguna.
Proud owner of a LT18 since 2001 with no problems at all.
Good luck with your decision.

Dan Lautner
12-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Mike, I looked at laguna's saws also. I think with the current prices you get more for your money with athe Agazzani b-24 or the MM24. The Bridgewood killed me with the $400 shipping so I am down to these two 24 inchers. Any thought on these two beasts?

Thanks, Dan

Mike Weaver
12-04-2006, 2:06 PM
Having had the chance to test a MM bandsaw, that's my vote.
(I don't own either yet, though).

-Mike

Kirk Poore
12-04-2006, 3:04 PM
I'm looking to buy a bandsaw for resawing and ripping various hardwoods and the ability to buy rough lumber. I have a 14" J/P as well as a festool saw with a 10' guide rail. I have single phase power and have eliminated all saws under 4 HP. I’m looking at bandsaws 20" and up due to wheel size, table size and mass. I want a min resaw height of 14" to match my J/P. The Agazzani B-24 for around $3000 and local pick up is at the top of my list. Second on my list is the Bridgewood PBS-540 that would run me $2800 delivered on sale. I'm looking forward to years of slicing exotic hardwood like butter. Any help deciding or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

I'm a little late to this thread, and I realize that new saws have merit, but you could always buy used. A little searching could find you something like a Delta 20" or perhaps an Oliver or Northfield. Here's a fully operational 30" American Woodworking Machinery saw, for example:

http://www.owwm.com/classifieds/viewmsg.asp?msgid=1232&catid=1&subcatid=1

Even renting a trailer and going to get it yourself wouldn't take more than a long weekend, and you'd still have $1K in your pocket when compared to the other saws mentioned on this thread. I don't know the resaw height on this one, but my 30" saw will resaw over 18".

Kirk

Steven Wilson
12-04-2006, 3:35 PM
If you can afford it I would stick with the 24" machines. 1" and larger blades are really ment for 24" and larger saws. Although they work on 20" and smaller machines the 1" blades tend to break more often and aren't really recommended. I would get the MM24 but the Agazzani is a good choice too. I have the MM20 and it's nice enough for my needs.

Rob Russell
12-04-2006, 4:31 PM
Dan,

If you're patient, you could find a nice used 28" or 32", possibly even 36" saw in your price range. There's a good chance it'd be 3-phase, so you might have to do a motor swap or add a phase convertor, but there are a lot of big old saws out there. Look for things like old Yates or similar.

Rob