PDA

View Full Version : Incidental Clamp rack

Rick Cabot
12-01-2006, 5:22 PM
Thanks to all for the kind comments about our new SCMS workstation and shop. I received a number of questions about the clamp rack construction and thought I would send along some photos and basic dimensions as promised. Please understand that this was a Saturday afternoon project and is pretty rough. The 6 degree angled construction shifts the high center of gravity to the middle of the rack and is very sturdy.
The base is constructed of 1X6 hemlock with 4 castors; 5" diameter. The The top portion is constructed of 2X4 materials. The 2X4's are cut at 6 degree angles where they tie in to the base and are secured with the outside 2X4 "molding" as pictured. The rack is 84 inches from the top of the base to the top of the upright 2X4's The base in front measures 34 inches and the sides 21 5/8 inches. At the top, in front, the distance between the upright 2X4's measures 19 3/8 inches. The first clamp "holder" is at 40 1/2 inches and the second one measures 76 " from the top brace. One of the picures shows some separation of a corner of a base support. This was later toed in with 2 1/4 screws and is far superior to ringed nails. The remainder of the construction utilized torx head construction screws. Hope this is helpful.
Rick Cabot

Rick Cabot
12-01-2006, 5:24 PM
Some more photos

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 5:24 PM
Well, that works! Nice rack, Rick...and convenient that you can wheel it to the assembly area when you need it, rather than cris-crossing the shop to grab them two at a time.

Allen Bookout
12-01-2006, 8:24 PM
That is really smart putting the rack on wheels. Mine is on the wall and I have to go back and forth when I start a project to get the clamps and then back and forth to put them up. A real pain. When I get some things moved out I am going to go the wheeled route and just push them all near where I need them.

Rob Bodenschatz
12-01-2006, 9:26 PM
Not only is it on wheels, but it looks like Rick has a guy dedicated to pushing it around for him. :D

Nice job. I'll be bookmarking this.

Bruce Wrenn
12-01-2006, 10:36 PM
I see a common problem that I'm having with mine also- It ain't BIG ENOUGH. Now I ned to build another and find a place to park both of them. Nice job!

John Timberlake
12-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Nice job. Now if you can just keep them organized like that. I tend to leave mine laying around where ever I used them last until I do a major cleanup.

lou sansone
12-02-2006, 5:29 AM
real nice clamp cart. if my shop was set up a little different, I would make one very similar to yours

lou

Dave Bureau
12-02-2006, 7:20 AM
Thanks for the photos and the PM rick. that will be one of my next projects, as i have clamps everywhere.
Dave