PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Dinner Tradition

Joe Pelonio
12-01-2006, 4:41 PM
I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone does for Christmas Dinner. Anyone have unusual family traditions?

We have 14-20 people depending on whether any family comes from out of state, and for the last 15 years we have a different theme each year, usually decided at Thanksgiving dinner. We've done ethnic themes, like Chinese, Mexican, southern, etc., and have done BBQ, Pastas, and Seafood. Actually, when we did southern one brother brought what he called "roadkill" but it was actually a stew made up of several different (store-bought) meats. I fried up catfish and hushpuppies. This year may be the best yet, we've chosen to not actually have "dinner" but to just have a lot of different appetizers and desserts, and have an informal buffet in the kitchen and family room rather than sitting at the dining room table with the good china. One thing I'll do is put some of those Nathan's mini weiners (Smokies) and BBQ sauce in a crock pot.

W Craig Wilson
12-01-2006, 5:09 PM
Since our oldest son got married eight years ago, we have been invited each Christmas Eve to dine with his in-laws before they go to mass. Amazing to have a quiet, comfortable family dinner before all of the noise, confusion and mess of present opening. Great time to refect on the true Christmas spirit.

Carl Eyman
12-01-2006, 10:18 PM
For starters, turtle soup
Then, alligator pies (small, maybe 2" diam.)
Salad
Main course: Goose, Turkey, Brisket
Vegatables: Yams, Mashed potato, string beans, spinach casserole, etc.
Cranberry sauce from real cranberries
Cornbread and Oyster stuffing.
Desserts: Pumkin Pie, suet pudding. Maybe mince meat pie.

Coffee and brandy for sit around talk.
Tums, ZanTec, or bicarbonate of soda

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Food! Actually, very similar meal to Thanksgiving, frankly, although the main course might vary. Once again this year, it will just be the four, err...six...of us. (Can't forget Tosca and Spike, our birds) We feel it's important to start our own traditions, rather than travel to the 'rents for the holiday. We'll head there early spring.

Lars Thomas
12-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Jim, your smart. I have three little ones (actually not so little anymore - 5, 9, 11). Anyway, travelling at Christmas with munchkins can be tough. We took the sleigh on the road one year. I'm not doing that again anythime soon. Plus I like the idea of starting your own traditions. It would be cool to roll some Russian traditions in with our own. Lars

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 11:10 PM
It would be cool to roll some Russian traditions in with our own. Lars
That's the good part...Russian Christmas is in early January. We get to celebrate twice. :D :D :D (Actually, New Years is a bigger holiday for most Russians than Christmas)