PDA

View Full Version : Cork for bending jigs?

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-04-2003, 7:10 PM
This may or may not be of interest to anyone...

David Marks uses corks on the faces of his bending jigs...something I've never done but realized was a wonderful idea. So naturally, I can't find rolled cork anywhere locally...and it seemed kinda spendy with shipping on-line...so off to Hobby Lobby I went. Found this stuff called 'Funky Foam'...foam rubber sheets (in various colors) that are made for kids crafts I guess. Anyway, it comes in at least two thicknesses...maybe 1/8 and 1/4". The 1/8" sheet (12 x 18?) is 79 cents. It cuts beautifully with a razor blade, and is easy to trim after gluing to the jigs (contact cement). Not sure it was necessary, but I put a couple good coats of paste wax on it just in case, and even with the wax the rubber helps reduce slippage of the jigs when clamping.

KC

David Rose
11-04-2003, 7:22 PM
Great tip! Thanks Kirk.

I have a bending job coming up soon. It will be my first so I watch posts like this carefully.

David

This may or may not be of interest to anyone...

David Marks uses corks on the faces of his bending jigs...something I've never done but realized was a wonderful idea. So naturally, I can't find rolled cork anywhere locally...and it seemed kinda spendy with shipping on-line...so off to Hobby Lobby I went. Found this stuff called 'Funky Foam'...foam rubber sheets (in various colors) that are made for kids crafts I guess. Anyway, it comes in at least two thicknesses...maybe 1/8 and 1/4". The 1/8" sheet (12 x 18?) is 79 cents. It cuts beautifully with a razor blade, and is easy to trim after gluing to the jigs (contact cement). Not sure it was necessary, but I put a couple good coats of paste wax on it just in case, and even with the wax the rubber helps reduce slippage of the jigs when clamping.

KC

Jim DeLaney
11-04-2003, 7:53 PM
Kirk,
Auto parts shops have cork gasket material that they sell in sheets. It's in 1/16" & 1/8" thicknesses.

One of my local suppliers (Austin Hardwoods) sells sheet cork, intended for bulletin boards, but it's more spendy that gasket material. It is also a bit thicker, though.

Tony Sade
11-04-2003, 8:21 PM
I picked up a roll of cork at my local Lowe's. Sold as material for making kids' bulletin boards, I think. Looks like your stuff would work too, Kirk.

Jamie Buxton
11-04-2003, 8:47 PM
A great on-line source for sheet cork is Jelinek Cork (www.jelinek.com). They've got cork in all forms and grades at very reasonable prices.

Todd Burch
11-04-2003, 9:03 PM
I scrounged up some 1/4" cork out of a trash can a few years ago. Probably 20+ pieces, 8" x 10". I've used it for ALL KINDS of stuff.

Todd.

Jim Becker
11-04-2003, 9:06 PM
'Last time I bought thin cork sheeting (in a roll) I got it at the 'Depot. It's about 1/8" thick and relatively fine-grained...which should be good for a bending jig as I envision it.