PDA

View Full Version : Corel question for creating dimension line

Ben Levesque
12-01-2006, 3:29 PM
I'm pretty well acquainted with Corel but when creating a diagonal line with a specific measure, I'm a little lost.

Creating horizontal of diagonal dimension line is real easy; we have the X and Y tool to see the dimension of the line.

But how can we draw a line with a specific measure not being horizontal or vertical?

Thanks

Ben

Ed Newbold
12-01-2006, 4:02 PM
I'm pretty well acquainted with Corel but when creating a diagonal line with a specific measure, I'm a little lost.

Creating horizontal of diagonal dimension line is real easy; we have the X and Y tool to see the dimension of the line.

But how can we draw a line with a specific measure not being horizontal or vertical?

Thanks
BenI take the cheaters way out and rotate the thing to horizontal, get my measurement, then hit ctrl-z to unrotate it.

Ben Levesque
12-01-2006, 7:39 PM
I take the cheaters way out and rotate the thing to horizontal, get my measurement, then hit ctrl-z to unrotate it.

Yes! This one I know, and I have used it multiple times, but is there another way?

Ben

Lee DeRaud
12-01-2006, 8:05 PM
Yes! This one I know, and I have used it multiple times, but is there another way?

BenThat's pretty much the easiest...assuming you know the angle to rotate it to get it to horizontal or vertical.

There's also a 'slanted' version of the Dimension Tool (at least in X3)...you can apply it to the line to get the number and then delete the callout.

(I admit I'm a bit confused here: are you trying to draw a line of a specific length or determine the length of an already-drawn line?)

Ben Levesque
12-01-2006, 8:52 PM
(I admit I'm a bit confused here: are you trying to draw a line of a specific length or determine the length of an already-drawn line?)

Of course, here’s another explanation, I am trying to reduce a line to a specific measure. The line is in an angle, so I don't want to rotate it because I’ll loose its orientation.
Example: A 2" line in an angle that I don't want to mess with, (no rotation involve) must be reduce to 1.456".

How do you do it?

Ben

Dave Jones
12-01-2006, 9:14 PM
How about if you select the item and in the toolbar where it shows horizontal and vertical scale of 100%, change both to a scale of 72.8% (1.456/2 = .728)

Lee DeRaud
12-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Of course, here’s another explanation, I am trying to reduce a line to a specific measure. The line is in an angle, so I don't want to rotate it because I’ll loose its orientation.
Example: A 2" line in an angle that I don't want to mess with, (no rotation involve) must be reduce to 1.456".

How do you do it?

BenWell, if I know its current size and what size I want it to be, I'll lock aspect and scale by the ratio...that won't rotate it.

That will move it, since it scales around the center, but if it isn't already attached to something (so you can move it back), you can put an object at the fixed end before you scale it so you have somewhere to move it back to.

(rereads previous paragraph) Yeah, I think that made sense...probably should have read Dave's response before I wrapped myself around the verbal axle.

Mitchell Andrus
12-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Try the Corel Forum at oberonplace.com

Mitch

Ben Levesque
12-02-2006, 1:29 PM
Dave, Lee, huge thanks, why didn't I think of that? This trick will do what I need.

Thank you

Ben

Joseph B. Chritz
12-02-2006, 7:10 PM

How do you do it?

Ben

Ben,
I've never had to do this, but I think if you create a circle with the diameter the same as the length of the desired line. Position the center of the circle on the line and trim off the extra with the "virtual segment delete" tool. The resulting line will be the same as the diameter of the circle.

Joe