PDA

View Full Version : Mortising Chisel

Rex Linville
12-01-2006, 2:54 PM
I am a new woodworking and I have a project that requires me to put together some mortise and tenon joints. I'm excited about cutting these joints by hand. I read a whole bunch from the Internet, looked at my options, and went high on the hog and bought myself a Lie-Nielsen mortising chisel. It came in the mail yesterday and the while it seems like a great tool, the handle is fairly small. I don't have particularly large hands, but if I grip the chisel in my fist like I was going to hit it with a mallet my hand extends right up to and almost over the top.

Is this bad? Do you all have thoughts on this or have you experienced a similar issue? I'm thinking of returning the chisel - am I over reacting? Any recommendations on alternate mortising chisels for general furniture work?

I'd really appreciate any advice you all can muster.

Cheers,
Rex

Steve Wargo
12-01-2006, 3:00 PM
I find that when I'm mortising I hold the shank of the chisel. The only time I really hold the handle at all is when I'm paring, and then I'm using two hands with one near the edge as a guide. Hope this helps.

Chuck Nickerson
12-01-2006, 7:25 PM
While mortising, you won't hold the chisel like an ice pick, but more like a nailset.

Alan Turner
12-01-2006, 8:23 PM
I can't comment on the LN mortise chisel, but the Ray Isles, from Joel at toolsforworkingwood.com is the one I would go to.

Ken Bryant
12-01-2006, 10:17 PM
I have the LN mortise chisels, and they work great for me. I had to think about it to remember how I hold them; sort of with the tips of two fingers and a thumb, I guess. I certainly don't wrap my fist around them, just provide enough support so they don't fall over. If I need more control I hold farther down the shaft; still with one or two fingers and a thumb.

Chuck said "like a nailset"; I guess for me it would be like I hold a nail to get it started.