PDA

View Full Version : Another Box Picture

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-04-2003, 6:01 PM
Here is the latest creation.................that didn't come off the Lathe! :D I made this box over the weekend, and I finished it last evening. The Wood is Yellowheart, Maple and Lacewood. I wanted to achieve the "clean" look with this piece, and I feel I accomplished that. I really like the look of this box, and it will probably become part of the collection. There is no finish on the box in these pictures, as I have not decided what I want to use on it. I am leaning toward Tung Oil, but that is still up in the air. The size is 8" x 5" x 4". The choice of wood may not be for everyone, but I really like the combination and the results. Thanks again for the opportunity to share my work, and thanks for taking the time to look! ;)

Brad Schafer
11-04-2003, 6:44 PM
Kev - ugliest thing I ever saw. Mail it to me here at the house, and I'll give it to the wif ... er, take care of it for you. (Yeah, that's it ...) ;)

Another really nice piece,

b

Steve Clardy
11-04-2003, 7:08 PM
Kev, that yellowheart sure looks like hedge. Color, grain. Tell me about yellowheart. Where does it come from? How is it to work? Route? Mill?
Nice box Kevin.

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-04-2003, 7:23 PM
Brad..........it's not THAT ugly! :D I would send it to ya, but then the Wife would be pestering you to build more boxes, and I don't want to put any extra work on anybody. :p
Steve, here is what I know about Yellowheart. It is also known as Pau Amarello. Yellowheart is native to the Caribbean Islands, such as Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, and Haiti. Another variety of Pau Amarello can sometimes be found in the lower Florida Keys, Bermuda and Brazil. The brighter Yellow Pau, like I used in this box, is exclusively found in a small area of Brazil. The wood works wonderfully, provided you use sharp cutters. It is said to dull cutting surfaces, but I have not machined it enough to experience that. It does route very well, and it finishes excellent. You can get a glass smooth finish very easily. The dust can be an irritant, but I have not noticed a sensitivity to it myself. Supposedly, Yellowheart turns well too. The photo's do not really do the wood justice.........it has an irridescent quality to it that is just beautiful. Thanks for the kind words...............I try to please! ;)

Doug Jones
11-04-2003, 7:34 PM
The box Master strikes again. Welcome back to the flat side of life. This last box of yours is very nice looking. I also like your choice of woods. I never thought about a three or even four type wood box,,, the wheels are turning in my head now. Another fine piece of work. How many more to come and how soon?

Tom Sweeney
11-04-2003, 9:54 PM
to get those sharp corners :p

Good looking box Kevin kind of modern looking but I still like it.

Bob Lasley
11-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Kevin,

I like it! The clean lines let the wood do the talking. It's awful purty, even without a finish. Post another pic when you get the finish on.

Bob

Doug Littlejohn
11-05-2003, 4:54 PM
Really nice Kevin, I especially like the contrasting figure in the woods.