PDA

View Full Version : Blanket Chest/Tack Trunk

Mike Cutler
12-01-2006, 2:40 PM
Over the past few months I've been working on and off on a blanket chest/tack trunk for LOML to store all of her horse blankets and such in.
I was derailed for about six weeks due to a hellacious work schedule. I've finally had a chance to get back to it, so it for all intensive purposes finished. ( The bright lights ,and camera revealed a few areas that neede a little touching up).

The chest is a copy of the frame and panel chest that appears in the book "In the Craftsman Style" by John McAlevey, and featured on pages 96-103. The author provided more than enough detail to replicate his original work. The chest I built deviates only in size, and the joinery at the legs. I utilized double though tenons, that were shouldered and haunched into the posts. They were subsequently pinned through from both sides. Other than that, the original was a beautiful piece, and I certainly couldn't improve on it.

The materials in the chest are a wenge frame, with brazillian cherry panels, and a spanish cedar interior.

Steve Beadle
12-01-2006, 2:44 PM
A wonderful project, beautifully executed! I need to make a blanket chest also, and this one will provide a good example.

Steve

Jim Becker
12-01-2006, 2:54 PM
Wow...that's really beautiful!! Nice work.

Mike Cutler
12-01-2006, 2:55 PM
Thank you Steve, and Jim. Here are a few of the joint details I used if you decide to make one.

This pic shows the pinning of the joint externally. Both through tenons were blind pinned.

This pic shows the internal pinning.

This is a pic of the mortise detail from the top. Originally it wasn't intended to be exposed this way. It was an error on my part. I measured, marked and cut 4 tenons exactly 1/8" too close to the ends of the posts. Oh well, It worked out in the end.

Jerry Strojny
12-01-2006, 2:56 PM
And I thought I had reason to be proud of a couple blanket chests I made...I have much to learn, much to learn.

I love it. It looks great. Wenge, cherry, cedar....great combinations.

Rennie Heuer
12-01-2006, 3:09 PM
I'm blown away! Really nice work.

lou sansone
12-01-2006, 3:28 PM
hi mike
great looking chest. very impressive. I like the choice of the tone of the woods.

lou

John Shuk
12-01-2006, 3:51 PM
Very nice work and a very contemporary look.

John Branam
12-01-2006, 3:54 PM
Wow, that is very nice.

glenn bradley
12-01-2006, 3:56 PM
Mike, That's a beauty! Very well done.

Steve Wargo
12-01-2006, 4:18 PM
Very sharp. I know the exact chest you copied from and you did a wonderful job. Nice execution. congrats.

Bob Reda
12-01-2006, 4:45 PM
Mike,

Thats a really sharp project!

Jerry Olexa
12-01-2006, 5:08 PM
Nice results!!! Looks good...

Andy Hoyt
12-01-2006, 5:56 PM
Great chest, Mike.

And thanks for pointing out John McAlevey. He's an active member of my turning club, yet I had no idea he was a writer.

Mike Cutler
12-01-2006, 8:26 PM
Thanks for the compliments and the feedback folks. Sometimes I get so immersed in a project that I really can't see the whole thing when it's complete. I just see the details that went into it. Thank you.

Great chest, Mike.

And thanks for pointing out John McAlevey. He's an active member of my turning club, yet I had no idea he was a writer.

Wow. John McAlevey is a member of your turning club. Very cool.
I bought the book that featured his a chest a few years back. I bought it specifically for his chest and a bookshelf by C. Michael Vogt. In my opinion they were the nicest featured pieces in the book. (I hope he won't be offended that I copied his chest)

Lou. As much as I would like to take credit for the wood selection, my wife actually selected the raw materials, and layed the boards out into each panel after I milled them. She has a pretty good eye, if you ask me. Thank you for the compliment.

Roy Wall
12-01-2006, 9:11 PM
Mike -

That is beautiful!! I just turned that book back into my local Library-- had it for 2 months.......and I know the chest you speak of. What a great book with some super projects!

Tremendously well done! Your joinery is super.....Congrats to you!

John Timberlake
12-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Great choice of woods and craftmanship. Love it!