PDA

View Full Version : What is a strong, high-gloss sandable varnish?

Dave Crusoe
12-01-2006, 1:55 PM
Hey everyone,

Years ago, I watched as my mother built a certain kind of painted/inlay finish. Essentially, it's an eggshell-inlay painted finish; so, the process: a small box with a base color (blue) will have eggshell pieces affixed (with rabbit glue) to the base coat. Then, I'll varnish over the surface a bunch of times and, between coats, sand lightly. The final result is to be a high-gloss, completely-smooth surface.

However, the varnish she used (was sandable, didn't gum up, and was high-gloss) is no longer sold, due to EPA restrictions. I wonder: what are some suggestions for high-gloss varnishes, that would be clear, not yellow, and most importantly, wouldn't gum up when sanded? (Note: I'm in MA, if that matters (shipping restrictions, etc))

Thanks!

--Dave

Steve Schoene
12-02-2006, 11:55 AM
What was that varnish--brand and all? Knowing what worked before may help find something that will work similarly now.

Not gumming while sanding can be dealt with by lubricating the sand paper so that may not end up as the most important consideration.

Dave Crusoe
12-05-2006, 10:47 AM
What was that varnish--brand and all? Knowing what worked before may help find something that will work similarly now.

Not gumming while sanding can be dealt with by lubricating the sand paper so that may not end up as the most important consideration.

The original varnish was "McKloskey's high gloss varnish" -- the forumla used about 10 years back. Thanks for any ideas & suggestions!

--Dave

Steve Schoene
12-05-2006, 2:29 PM
There are a couple of varnishes that ought to work for you. Pratt & Lambert 38 and McCloskey Heirloom are both traditional resin (alkyd) varnishes formulated with soya oil. Soya is less yellowing than tung or linseed oil used in compounding varnish. All oil based varnishes will yellow somewhat over time, and the original you cited is no exception so these alternatives should be relatively similar to that, and not worse. Rubbing out varnish is best done after it has thoroughly cured--a month is good.

Matt P
12-10-2006, 11:12 PM
I've read that Behlen's Rock Hard Tabletop is quite good..