PDA

View Full Version : Nice Deal on Bridge City Miter Square if anyone's interested

Doug Shepard
12-01-2006, 1:16 PM
Got a BCT email flyer today with a real sweet discount offer. I already have one of these (and it's 22.5° cousin) from fleaBay. No affiliation, just thought I'd pass along the info.

Bob Marino
12-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Doug,

And your opinion of the tool is?? Looks like a good deal!

Bob

Doug Shepard
12-02-2006, 8:06 AM
Doug,

Bob

Well it's certainly not something I use all the time but it's pretty handy at times. I like having something that won't move (like a bevel gauge). You can get the same tool more-or-less with a combination square but even the best of those can be tightened down a skosh off from 45°. Plus I find it a minor inconvenience - no sooner do I get the combo square set to use as a miter square, then I find something else where I need the head back at the other end for measuring. I'm sure these are both piddling excuses for getting another shiny, pretty tool but I have found it useful rather than just a collection item that just looks nice. The 22.5° version I picked up on eBay may have just been a case of shiny tool hypnotism though. So far I haven't managed to find much use for that one. There's certainly no complaints about the quality of any of the BCT stuff I've picked up over the years (mostly at WW show discounts or ebay). Normally their stuff is rather overpriced but this deal is pretty sweet. Might make a nice stocking stuffer.

Cameron Reddy
12-02-2006, 2:25 PM
Doug,

Bob

Bob, I've got several BC tools and they are all "best in class." When you can get stuff during their sales... if you need the tool... get the BCT.

Think Festool at 40% - 60% off.

It's a no-brainer.

David Tiell
12-02-2006, 2:54 PM
I agree with Cameron. Best in class is right. I have one, and it's kind of funny to see this thread, because I JUST (like within the last 5 minutes) placed an order for 2 more. I work in my shop at home, and have a tool locker at the wood shop at my local military base. One of these will go there. The other will be a Christmas present for a woodworker friend of mine. And as for the 22.5 cousin mentioned above, it's perfect for the 8-sided poker tables and military shadowboxes I build.

Cameron Reddy
12-02-2006, 3:27 PM
David, Oh my! In a locker at work? It's like a piece of jewlery!

Now, mind you, if it's safe anywhere, it's safe with the men and women who put their lives on the line to protect this country! God Bless You!

Gary Keedwell
12-02-2006, 3:35 PM
Wow, when I looked at it yesterday, I thought someone was nuts...$301.00 for a gage!!!
I finally enlarged it today by clicking on and it is only $31.00.....Now every thing is better in my world. lol

Gary K.

David Tiell
12-02-2006, 3:58 PM
David, Oh my! In a locker at work? It's like a piece of jewlery!

Now, mind you, if it's safe anywhere, it's safe with the men and women who put their lives on the line to protect this country! God Bless You!Cameron,
Thanks! Don't worry, it will stay in it's original box when not in use, like a nice piece of jewelry in a jewelry box. But since we are talking BCT, my favorite tool from them, by far, is their little 3" adjustable try square. It's a perfect fit for the palm, slips into an apron pocket, and with it's vertically graduated rule edge, is perfect for setting router bit or table saw blade height. I also need to say I'm not affiliated with them in any way other than they have relieved my wallet of a LOT of my money. LOL!

Bob Marino
12-02-2006, 4:19 PM
Ok Guys,

Fess up. What BCTW's ya got? I swapped a tool for their DG 2 Depth Gauge. The price/barter was right.

Bob

David Tiell
12-02-2006, 4:56 PM
Ok Guys,

Fess up. What BCTW's ya got? I swapped a tool for their DG 2 Depth Gauge. The price/barter was right.

BobBob,
I've got way too many to list offhand, and multiples of several. That said, there are several I would like to have, and have never even really thought of the bartering method. But I'm interested in finding another 22.5 miter square, and while I doubt I would use it much, I would love to have one of their older marking gages, the MG-2. It's big and bulky, but I just love the way it looks and feels. If there is anything you are interested in, let me know. If I have it, maybe we can work something out.

Dave

Doug Shepard
12-02-2006, 5:34 PM
Ok Guys,

Bob

This is just off the top of my head and I don't recall the exact model nbrs on some, but I think this is everything.
SS-2x4 Saddle Square
CS-6 6" Combo Square -Like this better than the Starrett my Dad gave me
HP5 Small Block Plane
45 and 22.5 Miter Squares
TB-? Very Small T-Bevel Guage
MG-? Marking Guage This may be the one David mentioned. It's the double blade type for marking mortises

Still watching for a deal on the Machine Protractor and the AS-24 large angle guage.

David Tiell
12-02-2006, 9:08 PM
OK, Bob, Here is at least a partial list of what I have. Let me know if you see something you're interested in, and I will let you know if I am interested in letting it go.

18" Center rule (x3)
24" Bench Rule (x2)
36" Bench rule
24" straight edge (I think I have 2)
12" combo sq (two extra 12" beams for it)
AS-3 Adjustable Try Sq (x2)
AS-5 Adjustable Try Sq
Large Master Try Sq
Small Try Square
Large 45 deg Miter square
med 45 deg miter sq
22.5 deg sq
DS-1 Dovetail sq
DS-2 Dovetail sq
rosewood 2x4 saddle sq
aluminum 2x4 saddle sq
FC-1 Flushing Chisel
HP-5 Small Block Plane
US-4 Universal square
SS-1 scroll saw sq
6" triangular bench rule (x2)
12 triangular bench rule
5 different Japanese saws including 3 dozukis (1 being 6")
BP-18 Bevel Protractor
SA-1 Scratch Awl
TB-1 and TB-2 T-Bevels
TS-3 Double sq
PG-27 Pantograph
BS-5 Transfer Bevel sq
FR-1 Folding Rule/Caliper

Pretty sure I have more at the wood shop I'm not remembering.

Bob Marino
12-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Wow, them's a lot of tools. I was just curious about the BC stuff, because I see it so rarely. I did get the HP-5 on sale and a recommedation from Mark R and it's a beaut..and planes well. Very innovative design, may not plane better than a good small apron plane, but it's a solid little gem.
They seem to have aesthetics vey high on the priority list, and they almost seem too pretty to use. I am sure this is not the case, but who wants to scratch one?
As I had mentioned previously, I wonder why their planes aren't reviewed. Pop WW did an article on the high end infills, but BCTW wasn't mentioned.

Bob

David Tiell
12-03-2006, 8:05 AM
Not sure why they weren't reveiwed, but I seem to remember a comment about that very thing somewhere else.

Doug Shepard
12-03-2006, 8:08 AM
OK, Bob, Here is at least a partial list of what I have. ...

Geez. Guess I now know who's outbidding me every time I spot a good ebay deal.:D :D

David Tiell
12-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Actually, I've only bought about 2 of them from ebay. Most I have picked up one or two at a time here and there over the years. Some from the web site, some from wood shows. This last summer, they had a "Summer madness sale" shere they had several items each week to choose from. Prices on some were up to 70% off. It really mangled my credit card over the course of the summer!:eek:

Cameron Reddy
12-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Ok, I've got the HP-5 block plane (that was a blem and had some sharp corners that needed to be rounded off to fit comfortably in my palm), several rulers, squares, Japanese saws, and a couple other small items that I can't recall at the moment. Oh, and their small rosewood level.