PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Recommendations Please

Tom Davis
12-01-2006, 10:12 AM
What are your recommendations for an 8" grinder for use with a Wolverine sharpening system to be used for only sharpening turnig tools?

Is slow speed a must or a "nice to have" feature?

What brands / models should I stay away from?

What wheel grits are needed?

Thanks

Tom

Greg Narozniak
12-01-2006, 10:54 AM
I am in the exact same boat as you. i have the PSI (Wolverine Clone) and I have started looking for a new grinder.

The Woodcraft slow speed has had great reviews. It is 8" and comes with a good set of wheels at a great price. I beileve that PSI sells an 8" slow speed but it comes with a similar price to the woodcraft but you would need to upgrade the wheels. I believe that the slower spped grinders are made better with the slower speed requiring better windings I believe.

Oneway states that there is no need for slow speed. They recommend the standard 3450 rpm grinders for their system with (I believe) the wheels they sell as they cut and break down fast enough that burning can be eliminated. I could be wrong about the wheels but I know they say 3450 is fine. I am not sure I agree. I believe that the wheel balance system works very well and many have spoke highly about it and that it makes a huge difference.

I am sure that someone else with more knowledge will chime in and I will be watching but this is what I have learned so far.

Mark Pruitt
12-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Two or three times out of the year, Woodcraft puts theirs on sale. If you have the patience to wait for that to happen, it's a great buy. Greg is right about the user instructions for the Wolverine recommending a 3450 RPM grinder, but many people, myself included, use the slow speed grinder with the Wolverine and have no complaints.

Whatever grinder you buy, be sure it comes with aluminum oxide wheels, otherwise you'll have to add to your expense by buying more wheels. Also buy a decent tool for dressing the wheels, and dress them often. The T-shape diamond tip wheel dresser is an excellent tool for this.

Tom Davis
12-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Greg:

Based on a recent review in one of the mags, I purchased a Delta Industrial slow speed form Amazon. The first one I received had a 1/4" ben to the shaft. The replacement had a lesser bend to the shaft and the wheels were busted.

So now I am revisting my options. I saw the Oneway highspeed recommendation and that has me rethinking.

Tom

Bob Opsitos
12-01-2006, 1:24 PM
I have a DeWalt grinder (high speed), and it works just fine. I do wish for a slow speed sometimes (Porter Cable makes one that is variable speed) because I sometimes don't have "the touch" when it comes to trying to remove material at a slower rate or remove less material.

Bob

Dennis Peacock
12-01-2006, 1:51 PM
I have the Woodcraft Slow Speed Grinder and I also have a high speed grinder. I go to the slow speed grinder 99.99% of the time. Either way, good quality A/O wheels are a must.

JOHN VITOSKY
12-01-2006, 3:44 PM
I have the Woodcraft and I bought it in October and got the stand for free. Very nice and great build.

Steven Wilson
12-01-2006, 4:04 PM
I had a couple of the Woodcraft grinders go south on me, the third one has been the charm though and the wheels are good enough that you won't need to upgrade them. Of course a nice high or low speed 7" or 8" Baldor would be nice if you can spare the cash.